11 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54219 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:10 AM

One of the nice things about going to one my LHBSs is that they have a yeast fridge in the back room that contains a large box of Wyeast packets that they don't expect to sell because of their age. Since I know these guys, they usually let me look through the box and pick out a few that they will let me have gratis. This is always fun. The box usually contains 50% or more Belgian strains mostly because there are so many and also because many brewers are afraid to use them, including me. So the first strain to raise an eyebrow (for me anyway) was Wyeast 1272 American Ale II. I have never used it. Recently I read a thread about someone mentioning how much they liked it and that it was his house yeast. Then I came across Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley. Someone just said to me, You use so many English strains, why don't you ever use 1275? I don't know, but now I have it. I asked my friend if I was being a pig and he said, No, take as many as you like. So I grabbed one more and it was Wyeast 2633 Oktoberfest blend. I have used this one before and I like it. So does anyone have any good recipes for a beer with 1272 or 1275? I'm sure I could just whip up a pale ale for the 1272 and a bitter for the 1275 but any suggestions would be great. Cheers.

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:33 PM

1272. I really haven't changed the recipe much since then. Different C-hops sometimes, or sub something for the carapils. I think the 1272 really compliments it. I did cut back the base malts as my efficiency improved since then, but not the rye (and switched to malted rye soon after). I can look up a more recent version if you want it.https://www.brewboar...7&mode=threaded

Edited by djinkc, 22 August 2010 - 01:35 PM.

#3 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13070 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:17 PM

The ESB I'm sipping on was made with the Thames Valley. I like it as the yeast flavor doesn't dominate the beer like some other strains I've used. I think WL005 just overwhelms the beers I've made with it. I like this much better.And as far as the American Ale II, I love it. Some of my best IPA's & Pales have been made with this strain. I think you'll like both of these.

#4 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

The box usually contains 50% or more Belgian strains mostly because there are so many and also because many brewers are afraid to use them, including me.

That seems odd. I've never heard of anybody being afraid to use Belgian strains. I've heard of people simply not liking them.As for the 1272 and 1275, these are two great yeasts. You can use 1272 in just about any APA or AAA that calls for 1056. It will give it a little more flavor. 1275 is a fantastic yeast for bitters. This is the yeast used in Brakspear which I feel is one of the best bitters made. A typical recipe would be something along these lines:British pale malt base to about 1.045 - 1.055 OGEnough 55L crystal to get to a pale, almost reddish amber5 - 10% sugar if you want to dry it out5% biscuit maltTarget or Challenger to 30 - 40 IBUs and then EKG, WGV, First Gold, etc. at flameout. Ferment in the low-mid 60's.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54219 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:57 PM

That seems odd. I've never heard of anybody being afraid to use Belgian strains. I've heard of people simply not liking them.As for the 1272 and 1275, these are two great yeasts. You can use 1272 in just about any APA or AAA that calls for 1056. It will give it a little more flavor. 1275 is a fantastic yeast for bitters. This is the yeast used in Brakspear which I feel is one of the best bitters made. A typical recipe would be something along these lines:British pale malt base to about 1.045 - 1.055 OGEnough 55L crystal to get to a pale, almost reddish amber5 - 10% sugar if you want to dry it out5% biscuit maltTarget or Challenger to 30 - 40 IBUs and then EKG, WGV, First Gold, etc. at flameout. Ferment in the low-mid 60's.

I notice that a lot of customers come into this shop and pick up extract kits, etc. Because of that, the Belgian strains (such a large number of them) seem foreign to new homebrewers that they just don't buy them. I really can't explain any of this because most of the Belgian strains I have tried have produced beers that have been in direct conflict with my tastebuds. :cheers: Seriously, bubble-gummy, sour, complex, snarky, pesky, troublesome flavors seem to arise from beers fermented with these yeasts. Anyway, I love the look of that guideline for the 1275 bitter and I have all of the ingredients required to make it. Volfan & djinkc: Thanks for the info on the 1272. I have a recipe that I made a few months back with 1056 that I may try with the 1272. It was a cross between a pale ale and red ale that I had at a local state park that was so good I felt the need to try to duplicate it. The version with 1056 was good but maybe the 1272 will do more for me. Cheers guys.

#6 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:03 PM

......... The version with 1056 was good but maybe the 1272 will do more for me. Cheers guys.

from Wyeast, and this has been spot on at my place. I use it a lot."With many of the best qualities that brewers look for when brewing American styles of beer, this strain’s performance is consistent and it makes great beer. Fruitier and more flocculent than Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast, slightly nutty, soft, clean with a slightly tart finish. Ferment at warmer temperatures to accentuate hop character with intense fruitiness, or ferment cool for clean, light citrus character. Expect good attenuation, but this will vary with grist makeup, mashing protocol, or other wort characteristics. Reliably flocculent, producing bright beer without filtration."

#7 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:10 PM

Ken, Check out that Brown/Bitter I made a few months ago: MABCAB!It turned out great! One of my favorite that I've made. I really like that 1272 also. It did very well in the 2 hearted clone I made, and it works equally well in every American Ale I've made.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54219 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:51 PM

Thanks guys, this is all very encouraging. The recipe I'm referring to is HERE. I'm envisioning a really nice version with the 1272... plus it's a high-floccer! Not that I care about clarity or anything. :frank:

#9 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13070 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:57 PM

This thread has me contemplating skipping my planned Alt for something with the 1272. I have an ESB on tap and a Bo Pils fermenting, but I get a little anxious when I don't have an IPA in the keggerator.Drinking on my friend's IPA the other night who took 2nd at the AHA doesn't help the cause either...You will enjoy this yeast. I favor it more than 1056.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54219 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:31 PM

This thread has me contemplating skipping my planned Alt for something with the 1272. I have an ESB on tap and a Bo Pils fermenting, but I get a little anxious when I don't have an IPA in the keggerator.Drinking on my friend's IPA the other night who took 2nd at the AHA doesn't help the cause either...You will enjoy this yeast. I favor it more than 1056.

Okay, that's it. I smacked the pack & checked my stock... 9 lbs of pale malt, C40, Special B, Magnum hops and this 1272. I will wait for it to show some signs of life, make a starter and giddy up. DJ's recipe from the Greenboard looks good too and may be made on the next use of the yeast... but I don't have those hops so it would be back to the LHBS for that. Thanks guys!

#11 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:38 PM

Because of that, the Belgian strains (such a large number of them) seem foreign to new homebrewers that they just don't buy them.

Yep, I totally get that.

I really can't explain any of this because most of the Belgian strains I have tried have produced beers that have been in direct conflict with my tastebuds. :frank: Seriously, bubble-gummy, sour, complex, snarky, pesky, troublesome flavors seem to arise from beers fermented with these yeasts.

That pretty much sums up everything we love about them. :frank:

#12 VolFan

VolFan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13070 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:50 PM

Okay, that's it. I smacked the pack & checked my stock... 9 lbs of pale malt, C40, Special B, Magnum hops and this 1272. I will wait for it to show some signs of life, make a starter and giddy up. DJ's recipe from the Greenboard looks good too and may be made on the next use of the yeast... but I don't have those hops so it would be back to the LHBS for that. Thanks guys!

I know you aren't a hop head, but let me add that Denny's Rye IPA is absolutely phenomenal with this yeast. I have never brewed it with the Brew-Tek because if it got any better than it does with the 1272 I don't know that I could lay off it. This recipe is when I first tried this yeast and I re-pitched it in a Pale IIRC. I have been hooked ever since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users