#1 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:30 PM

I thought this was an intersting article on Returnable Bottles. I still save bottles that can be reused. Hell, even my neighbor will bring over a case of empty Pacifico's every once in a while.My Link.Mods, if you feel this belongs in the PH, please move. I thought it would get better attention and discussion over here.

#2 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:08 PM

In Germany they all use the same bottles so they can be returned and re-used by any brewery.

#3 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:10 PM

It's interesting... as recently as about 10 years ago, I remember the liquor store taking cases of empty Miller High Life bottles back when you went into buy more.

#4 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:42 PM

In Germany they all use the same bottles so they can be returned and re-used by any brewery.

Not all, but most. You still get bottles that won't work for your brand and need to be sorted out. There is no way I would use returnables in America though, you gotta just work within the culture's system. It's not just cleaning them, you gotta inspect them too, people put all sorts of nasty stuff inside bottles.

#5 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:00 PM

Not all, but most. You still get bottles that won't work for your brand and need to be sorted out. There is no way I would use returnables in America though, you gotta just work within the culture's system. It's not just cleaning them, you gotta inspect them too, people put all sorts of nasty stuff inside bottles.

There isn't anything that can be put into a bottle that a long soak in very hot water + Oxyfree will take care of! Yes, it's work, but its possible.

#6 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:06 PM

There isn't anything that can be put into a bottle that a long soak in very hot water + Oxyfree will take care of! Yes, it's work, but its possible.

Condoms? Syringes? Motor Oil?

#7 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:08 PM

Condoms? Syringes? Motor Oil?

I stand corrected...I've cleaned out plenty of cigarrette butts and caked on ash though.

#8 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:15 PM

I stand corrected...I've cleaned out plenty of cigarrette butts and caked on ash though.

I mean, technically, the bottles need to be inspected to make sure there is no cleaning solution left in them either. I mentioned motor oil because it requires a different kind of inspection device than is used for residual liquid in the bottle. Beyond also what's inside the bottle, the bottle itself must be inspected, a broken mouth is one example of a bottle that should be rejected. All these things are done with fancy equipment, they used to use people, but people suck at it.

#9 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:55 PM

If I were to buy some beer in these heavy-duty returnable bottles, I would most likely hold on to them for homebrew. I wonder if the heavy wall thickness would make them suitable for bottle carbonating highly carbonated Belgian beers.

#10 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:41 AM

If I were to buy some beer in these heavy-duty returnable bottles, I would most likely hold on to them for homebrew. I wonder if the heavy wall thickness would make them suitable for bottle carbonating highly carbonated Belgian beers.

This PDF suggests that you can get up to 3.5 Volumes of CO2, compared to 3 in the 12 oz bottles we normally use.https://www.northern...onditioning.pdf

#11 stlinch

stlinch

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1066 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:11 PM

I can't even recycle glass!! I'm glad I keg!

#12 brewguy

brewguy

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4410 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:34 AM

These guys do this, linky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users