#1 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:13 PM

Hey there fellow blueboarders. I just found out that I'll be working in St. Louis for the next month. Had to get a short term lease on an apartment and everything. If memory serves me correctly, a few of you are from the area... right? If you guys have any suggestions as to local brews, breweries and especially brewpubs I would really appreciate it. I'll also accept vineyards, barrel rooms, tap rooms, meaderies and distilleries. Isn't drewseslu brewing at Schlafly? Anything else that I absolutely MUST see or do while I'm in town?I'm staying in the Kirkwood area, but can drive really anywheres. Thanks in advance!

#2 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:31 PM

Yup, I'm brewing at the Schlafly Bottleworks right now, Pale Ale and our Hefeweizen.In Kirkwood you have Highland Brewing, a brewpub that specializes in American Ales, but does put out some tasty lagers, as well.Other brewpubs: Schlafly Taproom, Morgan Street Brewery, Trailhead, Six Row, Buffalo, Hill Brewing, Square One & The StableBeer bars/restaurants: The Stable, International Taphouse, The Bridge, 33 Wine Shop, Iron Barley, Newstead Tower Public House, Bigelo's Bistro, Cicero's and quite a few othersThere are also a ton of other new breweries in the works right now, but I wouldn't expect any of them to see the light of day until next spring at the earliest.

#3 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:37 PM

I think Drew covered it pretty well. You might post something on the STL Brews forum. There are many, many talented homebrewers there. IIRC they have their monthly mtg close by. I would be super surprised if they didn't extend an invite to it.

Edited by djinkc, 18 August 2010 - 05:38 PM.

#4 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:50 AM

Yup, I'm brewing at the Schlafly Bottleworks right now, Pale Ale and our Hefeweizen.In Kirkwood you have Highland Brewing, a brewpub that specializes in American Ales, but does put out some tasty lagers, as well.Other brewpubs: Schlafly Taproom, Morgan Street Brewery, Trailhead, Six Row, Buffalo, Hill Brewing, Square One & The StableBeer bars/restaurants: The Stable, International Taphouse, The Bridge, 33 Wine Shop, Iron Barley, Newstead Tower Public House, Bigelo's Bistro, Cicero's and quite a few othersThere are also a ton of other new breweries in the works right now, but I wouldn't expect any of them to see the light of day until next spring at the earliest.

+1And with a month to play with, you should be able to hit all of these. Most are within 15-20 minutes of Kirkwood.Enjoy!

#5 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:33 PM

I was just out there last week. The ones I hit that were good are Square One, Highland, and Schlafly's (in no particular order).Drew, are you still working at Square One at all, or is that ancient history?

#6 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:10 PM

Never managed to work for Square One, had a close call but it didn't work out. I did work for Morgan Street for over a year and ran Mattingly Brewing for a couple of years.

#7 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:47 AM

Excellent, thanks for this tips guys. Next question, who wants to grab a beer? :P The workweek will be pretty busy but I'm free on nights and weekends.

#8 Jimvy

Jimvy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:04 PM

Where are you going to be at? Downtown has a lot going on (as Drew mentioned)....out a little ways, it's slimmer pickings.

#9 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:02 PM

I've landed. Hit up Highland for dinner. Pretty legit beers and good food at excellent prices. We are staying in Kirkwood (Greenbriar Condos) for the next month, so Highland is close by. I've got wheels though and plan on hitting them all. If anyone wants to snag a pint and talk beer some night or on the weekend, let me know. I think we are going to catch some music this weekend too. :frank:

#10 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:03 AM

I may be out and about a bit on Thursday night. I've got a beer coming out soon at Buffalo Brewing Company (guest brewed a Witbier with my old assistant from MBC), so that should a fun event to get out and talk beer with the locals. Pretty much any time is good to lift pint at the Bottleworks, unless I'm on the clock, anyway.Sounds like a good excuse for an StLBB get together to me...

#11 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:33 PM

So Drew, while working yesterday I was talking beer with some folks and happened to meet a guy who knows you. I didn't catch his name but he was a brewer and was talking up your beers. He had mentioned that he had recently brewed a 550 gal batch at one of the local breweries. I should have gotten his name but maybe you know him. He works at Monsanto. Sound like someone familiar?Anywho, I'll shoot you a PM with my contact info. Hopefully we can meet up for a beer. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users