#1 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:13 PM

So I was facing our beer coolers and I won't go into the whole thing but will give you the hilarious bits...this guy was talking to his buddy. He said "You know why there are all these hoppy beers now? Because they are made by bad brewers that have to cover up their mistakes by masking them with a bunch of hops. Ales are just a way for bad brewers to produce something that people will buy....the real beer drinkers know that all ales are mistakes. I can't stand ales, all they taste like is hops and garbage. There are no real craft ales... The only real beer is lager, because the brewers actually take the time to produce a quality product. It can stay in there aging for like 3-4 weeks!!! _______________________So i almost started cracking up while facing, I thought about going over there and giving him a little real knowledge like....actually small craft breweries produce more ales because it is economically unfeasible to have their tanks taken up with lagering operations, etc etc etc.... This guy was pretty gung ho though and heard all this from his "brewer friend." No sense in angering a customer...oh and he then proceeded to grab a sam adams coastal wheat....epic

#2 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:29 AM

I was at my local store one day and there was a guy complaining to the head beer guy at the store that he bought some bud and it was one week past it's expiration and tasted terrible. The beer guy told him to bring it back and he'd exchange it or give him his money back but the guy kept pressing about how he couldn't believe they'd sell expired bud. He obviously wanted something for free without presenting any proof of his claims. In the end he bought something else and left. I had to try pretty hard not to LOL at this guy as he's standing in the walk in cooler surrounded by an impressive selection of micro brewed bombers and he's complaining about the bud being out of date.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54221 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:10 AM

Remember too that all lagers are light in color and all ales are dark. Also, ales are always higher in alcohol than lagers. Bock beer is made by "using the stuff at the bottom of the barrel" (whatever that means) and the more hops in the beer, the more alcohol it has in it. Ah, kids.

#4 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:52 AM

My neighbor is a hardcore Bud light drinker. He actually believes that "Light" is in reference to the color. If a beer doesn't say "Light" on the can, then it's a dark beer. Also, any beer with hop character is "skunky" Jeebus!

#5 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:05 PM

Also, any beer darker than Bud Light is kind of like Guinness, which by the way, is so strong and high in alcohol that it will eff you up twice as fast.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54221 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:38 PM

Also, any beer darker than Bud Light is kind of like Guinness, which by the way, is so strong and high in alcohol that it will eff you up twice as fast.

OMG, that is so true. And don't forget that beer that is old continues to increase in alcohol over time. One time, a buddy and me drank this 2-year old Budweiser that we found in the basement and I swear this stuff was so strong we got totally eff'd up! :P :rolf:

#7 cj in j

cj in j

Advanced Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationMishima, Japan

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:04 PM

At our pub last week, some couples came in — Japanese guys with their Chinese girlfriends. They saw our bartender Chris and assumed he didn’t speak Japanese well, so the girls came up and ordered in rudimentary English. When Chris asked what kind of beer they wanted and started explaining our nine regulars and three or four seasonals, they kept insisting they wanted beer, not regulars or seasonals. He just randomly poured them some beers and they were happier than shit. Every time they came up, he gave them different beers, and at the end of the evening, they thanked him saying that our beer was delicious and next time they’d try some of the regulars and seasonals. :P

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54221 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:06 PM

At our pub last week, some couples came in — Japanese guys with their Chinese girlfriends. They saw our bartender Chris and assumed he didn’t speak Japanese well, so the girls came up and ordered in rudimentary English. When Chris asked what kind of beer they wanted and started explaining our nine regulars and three or four seasonals, they kept insisting they wanted beer, not regulars or seasonals. He just randomly poured them some beers and they were happier than shit. Every time they came up, he gave them different beers, and at the end of the evening, they thanked him saying that our beer was delicious and next time they’d try some of the regulars and seasonals. :P

Instant classic.

#9 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:12 PM

At our pub last week, some couples came in — Japanese guys with their Chinese girlfriends. They saw our bartender Chris and assumed he didn’t speak Japanese well, so the girls came up and ordered in rudimentary English. When Chris asked what kind of beer they wanted and started explaining our nine regulars and three or four seasonals, they kept insisting they wanted beer, not regulars or seasonals. He just randomly poured them some beers and they were happier than shit. Every time they came up, he gave them different beers, and at the end of the evening, they thanked him saying that our beer was delicious and next time they’d try some of the regulars and seasonals. :cheers:

classic....I had a girl come in and said she only drank new castle but we didn't carry the 6 pack cans and she just had to have a beer in cans...So my closest suggestion of a beer in cans was Old Chub.....she came back the next day to pick up some more and said that you for enlightening me.

#10 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:17 AM

At our pub last week, some couples came in — Japanese guys with their Chinese girlfriends. They saw our bartender Chris and assumed he didn’t speak Japanese well, so the girls came up and ordered in rudimentary English. When Chris asked what kind of beer they wanted and started explaining our nine regulars and three or four seasonals, they kept insisting they wanted beer, not regulars or seasonals. He just randomly poured them some beers and they were happier than shit. Every time they came up, he gave them different beers, and at the end of the evening, they thanked him saying that our beer was delicious and next time they’d try some of the regulars and seasonals. :cheers:

Is this common? If yes, why?

#11 cj in j

cj in j

Advanced Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationMishima, Japan

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:07 AM

Getting more and more common these days. Lots of Chinese are coming to do factory work and working in the Fishmarket area, and as more and more of them come, more and more Japanese guys are falling for them.

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 05:26 AM

Getting more and more common these days. Lots of Chinese are coming to do factory work and working in the Fishmarket area, and as more and more of them come, more and more Japanese guys are falling for them.

mmmm - fishy smelling chinese ladies! :cheers:

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54221 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:43 AM

mmmm - fishy smelling chinese ladies! :cheers:

Ha, Zym wants to get the thread locked. :cheers:

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:14 AM

Ha, Zym wants to get the thread locked. :cheers:

sorry guys - got side tracked.fact: most people don't know a lot about beer. I've run into a few people at work who have dabbled in homebrewing. A little information is a dangerous thing.

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54221 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:51 AM

sorry guys - got side tracked.fact: most people don't know a lot about beer. I've run into a few people at work who have dabbled in homebrewing. A little information is a dangerous thing.

Amen.My one BIL insists on comparing everything to Killians. I know he likes it, but why does he do this? He'll try a few of my beers and say, "This one is sort of like Killians" and then he'll try another one and say, "Now this one, it doesn't taste anything like Killians!". I just nod my head over & over. :cheers:

#16 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:53 PM

When folks ask for "dark" beer I have learned to ask "how dark". Often it's Newcastle Brown.

#17 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64142 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:15 PM

Most people don't know crap about beer, nor do they care. It's pretty obvious when you meet one of them. I don't bother correcting them. It wouldn't make a difference.

#18 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:56 AM

When folks ask for "dark" beer I have learned to ask "how dark". Often it's Newcastle Brown.

Now I don't mind newcastle brown ale but there are a couple of guys I know who seem to love it. One suggested I try making something like it. My first thought was, make brown ale, water it down. Serve!

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:59 AM

Amen.My one BIL insists on comparing everything to Killians. I know he likes it, but why does he do this? He'll try a few of my beers and say, "This one is sort of like Killians" and then he'll try another one and say, "Now this one, it doesn't taste anything like Killians!". I just nod my head over & over. :cheers:

I'm not sure how some people got the idea that killians was a good beer. The fact that it isn't actually an ale kind of bothers me.

#20 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:23 AM

I'm not sure how some people got the idea that killians was a good beer. The fact that it isn't actually an ale kind of bothers me.

when it came on the market it was a small step in the right direction, but it's long since past any worthwhile accoladessame can be said for Michelob amber bock

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users