#1 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:35 AM

I brewed up a 6 gal batch of the fat tire clone yesterday. Every thing turned out well. Hit 81% eff, which is pretty good for my setup. I racked a blonde ale off the yeast cake into secondary, then tossed the cooled wort right into my primary on top of the Safale 05 yeast cake. I had significant activity in one hour! wow! Prior to this, i had always saved my slurry in large mason jars in the fridge for a week or two, then pitched on brewday. The soonest acitvity i had before, was probably about 8 hours. Im impressed. I will try to schedule my brewing a little better in the future to take advantage of this. Just thought id share.....Happy Brewing! :cheers:

#2 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:42 AM

I brewed up a 6 gal batch of the fat tire clone yesterday. Every thing turned out well. Hit 81% eff, which is pretty good for my setup. I racked a blonde ale off the yeast cake into secondary, then tossed the cooled wort right into my primary on top of the Safale 05 yeast cake. I had significant activity in one hour! wow! Prior to this, i had always saved my slurry in large mason jars in the fridge for a week or two, then pitched on brewday. The soonest acitvity i had before, was probably about 8 hours. Im impressed. I will try to schedule my brewing a little better in the future to take advantage of this. Just thought id share.....Happy Brewing! :cheers:

Good to hear of your success. When The Belgian Blonde in primary is done fermenting out I'll be pitching onto a cake of WLP 530 for my Dubbel. This will be my first time pitching right on to a yeast cake as well.

#3 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:01 AM

Pitching directly on a yeast cake always gives me nearly instant starts. Someone told me though that if you are hoping to get a big contibution in character from the yeast, such as esters, etc., then you may be dissapointed by the results of pitching directly on a cake. The theory being that this is tantamount to over-pitching, and you don't get the benefit of the flavor contributions developed during the time that the yeast population is building up.

#4 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:08 AM

Pitching directly on a yeast cake always gives me nearly instant starts. Someone told me though that if you are hoping to get a big contibution in character from the yeast, such as esters, etc., then you may be dissapointed by the results of pitching directly on a cake. The theory being that this is tantamount to over-pitching, and you don't get the benefit of the flavor contributions developed during the time that the yeast population is building up.

Well... he is using US 05 which I've used because of it's clean flavor. Not sure I'd use the 05 for a Fat Tire, as there is something to that beer that I can't quite pin down that I'd probably attribute to the yeast. I need to keg my Fat Tire, which was done with 1272 American Ale II.

#5 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:15 AM

Well... he is using US 05 which I've used because of it's clean flavor. Not sure I'd use the 05 for a Fat Tire, as there is something to that beer that I can't quite pin down that I'd probably attribute to the yeast. I need to keg my Fat Tire, which was done with 1272 American Ale II.

Agreed, you wouldn't probably be using US-05 if you were looking for a signifant flavor contribution from the yeast.

#6 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:43 AM

I figured with all the biscuit flavor, a nice clean yeast would work. we'll see.....

#7 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:01 AM

Pitching onto a yeast cake does give some shortened lag times for fermentation I do say. I have brewed a good few recipes with US-05 and yes it is a clean fermentation yeast no doubts. Thats not all the bad though, I think it really helps the flavors of the grain bill come forward and with some good formulation you can create some wonderous beers. I used US-05 in a couple of Imperials IPA and Amber ale and friends that I have shared with raved about it. That made me feel good since I formulated the recipes myself but there is a time and place for yeast character depending on style and strain.

#8 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:03 AM

I figured with all the biscuit flavor, a nice clean yeast would work. we'll see.....

What was your grain bill? I opted to use Maris Otter as my base to obtain that biscuit flavor. We'll see how it turns out. Unfortunately, my computer crashed with my recipe on it, so I can't recall everything that went in it, or the amounts. But in the end, I didn't want to rely solely on my grain bill for the flavor. FWIW, I make an excellent Cream Ale with the US 05. If I hadn't made 10 gallons of IPA, it would probably be back in the schedule sooner rather than later.

#9 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:25 AM

What was your grain bill? I opted to use Maris Otter as my base to obtain that biscuit flavor. We'll see how it turns out. Unfortunately, my computer crashed with my recipe on it, so I can't recall everything that went in it, or the amounts. But in the end, I didn't want to rely solely on my grain bill for the flavor. FWIW, I make an excellent Cream Ale with the US 05. If I hadn't made 10 gallons of IPA, it would probably be back in the schedule sooner rather than later.

I used hopheads Flat Ass Tired recipe, except for the yeast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users