#1 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:47 PM

I have only been brewing for 4.5 years , but i have kept some notes.My notes have gotten a lot more detailed, it's actually fun to re-read some and see how i grew up.Mr.beer kits,open-ferments,partial mashing,to all-grain,botting to kegging,etc,,,Do you old timers keep notes yet? or is it foolish note taking for the students?

#2 consumes

consumes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:54 PM

ive been slackin alot lately ....

#3 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:03 PM

It's easy to slack. I usually add notes to my brewing sessions if something major needs to be noted. I could be a lot more detailed and thorough though.

#4 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:16 PM

It's easy to slack. I usually add notes to my brewing sessions if something major needs to be noted. I could be a lot more detailed and thorough though.

pretty much this...I have a spiral notebook that my brew days get recorded in. Basic notes and the recipe.

#5 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:27 PM

you old timers and your quaint "notebooks"! :crazy: welcome to the computer age!!!!

#6 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:23 PM

Hell, I've forgotten to take gravity readings the last several brews. I need to be better though.

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:37 AM

I take some general notes so I know how things went, when I did certain steps, etc. Here is a screen shot from the "notes" tab of my brewing spreadsheet for the rare vos clone I have bottled right now:Posted Image

#8 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 14 August 2010 - 04:27 AM

I keep notes on all of my beers. I have been brewing for 12 years 3 all grain. Last year 2009 and again this year I bought a Basic Brewing Brewer's Logbook and record every recipe that I brew. I keep the same process for each beer so I take notes if there are deviations or situations that happen along the way. I have rebrewed many beers and for consistency it really helps to take notes and look back. I even record what temp I heat my strike water to to obtain my mash temp and it helps to replicate each time too.

#9 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:18 AM

Since the restart of brewing I've kept basic notes on each batch. I need to update comments for the ones brewed in the last few months before I forget if anything was really notable.

#10 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:24 AM

I've been brewing for 12 years. I keep detailed notes on all batches, both in Promash and in a spiral notebook.

#11 OhioMurb

OhioMurb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:34 AM

That's a really good question. I've been brewing 4 years and I take fewer notes, but smarter notes. I don't write down which foot I leaned on when I doughed in, but I do record absorption rate, volumes, etc.I'm pretty anal, but I take fewer notes that have more impact on my actual brewing.

#12 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:41 AM

you old timers and your quaint "notebooks"! :crazy: welcome to the computer age!!!!

:frank: Hey I said I added my notes to my brewing sessions.

#13 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:10 PM

That's a really good question. I've been brewing 4 years and I take fewer notes, but smarter notes. I don't write down which foot I leaned on when I doughed in, but I do record absorption rate, volumes, etc.I'm pretty anal, but I take fewer notes that have more impact on my actual brewing.

That's true. My earliest notes read like stories. Now my notes are mostly just numbers. I move around a lot and have lost a lot of my old notes, but luckily I still have the notes from my first batch. I basically slept with my first ferment in college: "The yeast have continued their processes throughout the day and temps have ranged from 68-71. I plan to get up @ 4:00 AM to check the temp."

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 04:42 PM

That's true. My earliest notes read like stories. Now my notes are mostly just numbers. I move around a lot and have lost a lot of my old notes, but luckily I still have the notes from my first batch. I basically slept with my first ferment in college: "The yeast have continued their processes throughout the day and temps have ranged from 68-71. I plan to get up @ 4:00 AM to check the temp."

woah - you def needed to RDWHAHB!

#15 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationGhost of Jobs Planet

Posted 14 August 2010 - 05:20 PM

I still keep notes on the computer but they've shrunk massively since I first started.

#16 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64095 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:25 PM

I've been brewing for over 10 years now and I've only taken notes for about the last year. I utilize the 'Notes' section in the ProMash brewing sessions. Previously, I always made pretty good beer, and I wasn't terribly worried about making it much better. I just started taking it a lot more seriously last year, which prompted me to start being much more careful recording what I do. The ProMash brewing sessions are a great way to keep track of changes you make on brew day and to keep notes on a brew from recipe formulation until the kegs are kicked. Not surprisingly, my beer has improved quite a bit in the last year.

#17 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:47 AM

Not surprisingly, my beer has improved quite a bit in the last year.

How did the notes help here? I take the notes but I'm not so sure they've really helped me that much.

#18 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:50 AM

I used to take notes in Beersmith only for each batch that I brewed starting back in 2008 but shortly afterwards the computer crashed and the notes were lost. Thats when I started keeping the Basic Brewing Logbook which is at my side for all my brew sessions. I write all my notes out so that I don't lose anything electronically. I still put them in Beersmith but just wanna guard against losing anything in the future.

#19 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64095 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 August 2010 - 06:06 AM

How did the notes help here? I take the notes but I'm not so sure they've really helped me that much.

It just helps me remain consistent from batch to batch. I've done lots of other things that have helped just as much, or more.

#20 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5018 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 15 August 2010 - 06:32 AM

I usually print out the recipe and take notes on the bottom of the page. Maybe someday I'll organize those into a notebook!I find taking notes helps. For example I wrote this note at the top of the recipe I'm brewing today: "Don't forget to heat sparge water near end of mash!" A mistake I keep making! But, not today!Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users