Photo
- - - - -

better chiller idea

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: better chiller idea (0 member(s) have cast votes)

what should I improve?

1. Get a better IC (50 foot? wider pipe?) (1 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

2. Buy a pump and start recirculating ice water (3 votes [27.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

3. Set up a Jamil-style immersion chiller to circulate the wort (6 votes [54.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.55%

4. something else (1 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OhioMurb

OhioMurb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:59 PM

What's the best way to improve my chilling times?I have an 25' IC and can bring it down to 80 degrees in 15-20 minutes, but I'd like to get that faster.Anyone seen vast improvements by upgrading to these methods?

#2 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:05 PM

The best chilling idea I have seen is JZ's. I would upgrade if I could afford it, but I really can't. Besides, it's in line behind a kegging system!

#3 harryfrog

harryfrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, CA

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:15 PM

agree with above. I notice that days I stir constantly I get rapid cooling rates. Days I am lazy and don't stir very often definately go slower. I'm thinking about buying a march pump just for the cooling improvement...

#4 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:31 PM

The best chilling idea I have seen is JZ's. I would upgrade if I could afford it, but I really can't. Besides, it's in line behind a kegging system!

+1The JZ whilrlpool IC is the best improvement I have ever done for my chilling. That and it's AWESOME to be able to chill quickly and do other things while the pump does the work. About the only improvement I think I would do from the JZ setup is add a pre-chiller in line for the summer when ground water temps are higher.

#5 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47988 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:51 PM

What's the best way to improve my chilling times?I have an 25' IC and can bring it down to 80 degrees in 15-20 minutes, but I'd like to get that faster.Anyone seen vast improvements by upgrading to these methods?

Depends on what your limiting factor is. The summer is a difficult time to chill because ground water is usually pretty warm. If you're dealing with 75F water, that's a pretty good cooling time and increasing your coil size won't help much.To give the best answer, we need more info:What's your typical batch size?What's your typical tap water temp in winter and summer? If you don't know this, we can make a decent guess based on where you live. Ohio?Do you have a wort pump? Do you have a submersible pump that could be used for chill water?Do you want to be able to make lagers as well as ales?How much are you willing to spend to improve things?

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:12 PM

I don't understand why anyone with an IC and pump wouldn't recirculate while chilling. It's interesting to me that everyone calls it a "JZ chiller". I thought the recirculating while chilling was pretty much common sense. Also, there is really no "set-up" to a recirculating immersion chiller. No significant setup, anyway. What are people referring to when they say 'set-up' or 'build' a recirculating IC? I feel like I'm missing something there.Regarding performance, my groundwater is in the low to mid 50s. I can chill 12 gallons of wort to under 65 in ~15 minutes, I believe, maybe a little quicker. I have a 50' 1/2" copper IC and recirculate while chilling.

#7 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:06 PM

I use a cheap gearmotor stirrer when I'm using the IC. If you keep the water moving it will chill much quicker. I bought a 120v 6rpm one fromhttps://www.sciplus.com/simple stirrer made from 1/2" copper pipe and JB welded it to the driveshaft. The motor gets hot but works here. Made a huge difference in chilling times. And I'm another sump pump ice water recirulator when our hot groundwater has done all it can. Nothing wrong with recirculating for agitation either if you don't mind sanitizing and cleaning.

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 04:43 PM

I don't understand why anyone with an IC and pump wouldn't recirculate while chilling. It's interesting to me that everyone calls it a "JZ chiller". I thought the recirculating while chilling was pretty much common sense. Also, there is really no "set-up" to a recirculating immersion chiller. No significant setup, anyway. What are people referring to when they say 'set-up' or 'build' a recirculating IC? I feel like I'm missing something there.Regarding performance, my groundwater is in the low to mid 50s. I can chill 12 gallons of wort to under 65 in ~15 minutes, I believe, maybe a little quicker. I have a 50' 1/2" copper IC and recirculate while chilling.

you fancy folk and your pumps!

#9 Recklessdeck

Recklessdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLawrence

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:32 PM

+1

#10 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9734 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:22 AM

Well I agree with everything here already. I used to pump recirc (like JZ setup). I have gone to what DJ is using. I use a stir motor to keep the wort moving.If you step back and look at it, there are really two ways to improve the chilling, either improve the ability to transfer heat or increase the temp differential between the cooling water and the wort - or both. There are multiple ways to accomplish either. You just need to decide how the best way to do it in your system with your existing resources (like existing water temp). This is kind what George was getting at by asking more questions.

#11 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:16 AM

I bought a pump specifically to do this. It's one of the best investments I ever made in my brewing gear.

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:27 AM

I bought a pump specifically to do this. It's one of the best investments I ever made in my brewing gear.

Do they make some that just hook up to a garden hose? How much?

#13 OhioMurb

OhioMurb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:00 PM

Okay, so I'm thinking pump -- either to circulate hot wort past the coils, or to recirc ice water.Pump recommendations?

#14 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47988 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:56 PM

Okay, so I'm thinking pump -- either to circulate hot wort past the coils, or to recirc ice water.Pump recommendations?

Big difference in price of those two pumps. If you recirc wort, you need a sanitary pump like a March (see parallel thread) that will cost you about $150. If you just want to pump ice water into a chiller, a $35 submersible sump pump or even a $20 drill pump will work.Do you want to do anything else relating to wort and the pump, like sparge?

#15 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:58 PM

I got my wort recirc pump for like $40 on eBay. You just have to keep your eye out.

#16 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:01 PM

I got my wort recirc pump for like $40 on eBay. You just have to keep your eye out.

what would I want to be looking for to recirc ice water for chilling with an IC? I assume this pump could be pretty cheap since it won't have to deal with heat or be food safe.

#17 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:24 PM

what would I want to be looking for to recirc ice water for chilling with an IC? I assume this pump could be pretty cheap since it won't have to deal with heat or be food safe.

Yep. i just started recirculating ice water during these hot NC summers. The ground water gets it to maybe 80-85 degrees. the ice water immersion pump that I paid 40 dollars for will get it to lager temps if you have enough ice. 2 10lb bags would surly get the wort down to ale temps if thats all you do...and in summer. so, my vote is recirculate ice water with a submersible pump. Cheap and easy, and you can use the 25' chiller you already have! :crazy:

#18 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:10 AM

What's your groundwater temp? Even this time of year my water is coming into the house under 55°F. Do you have problems getting your wort down to temp?

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:45 AM

What's your groundwater temp? Even this time of year my water is coming into the house under 55°F. Do you have problems getting your wort down to temp?

this time of year it's a little warmer - probably in the 60s. I just figured I could save some water and chill a little faster.

#20 *_Guest_frankerector_*

*_Guest_frankerector_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:30 PM

Ok..I have a question..What is the big deal for the super fast chill?..I just don't understand..Is it Oxidation?Will it not oxidize at a lower temp...I take it this is why you aerate the wort after chilling...Temp must be the relative factor...Say above 80 do not aerate...Below 80 aerate...I think I answered my own question...:crazy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users