#1 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:08 PM

My NB rhizome is doing great, my cascade is busting out of the bucket( in its first year) , my williamette has not been doing that good. Now i know why, yesterday i went out there and only half the plant growth was on the top. It looked like it had been split down the middle, leaves laying off to the side about six inches away. Then when i went out there today the other half is gone , down to the root top. I saw a bird drop in the fenced off area yesterday, before i noticed the first attacks on it. DO birds really love Williamette or what? i played heck with it last year too. Anyhow, maybe i shall end up wiring off the top too for that plant. Although i think the williamette is a lost cost this year.

#2 BuxomBrewster

BuxomBrewster

Snow White

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8765 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 05:04 PM

My Willamette's are doing great. For some odd reason, the Cascades aren't doing as well. All first year plants. And the the Newport's didn't come up at all. Everything else came up, except for half the Cascades. No bird attacks. I have a fence around to keep out chickens. I have one that gets in, and she seems to just like spreading out the mulch I put around them instead of attacking the plants themselves.

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 09 May 2009 - 06:49 PM

I planted only one zome of Willamette and its coming up now with about 2-3 shoots. I sure hope I don't have that same problem. That would suck, darn birds no doubts.

#4 Mudd

Mudd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Illinois

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:31 PM

Could it be Cutworms??Description: https://www.uri.edu/...s/cutworms.htmlMore Info: https://extension.un...0547_Rep569.pdfBest of Luck in any case!!

#5 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:26 PM

That seems odd, as I have read that birds can help to keep the insect population down and thus prevent insect damage. This is actually the reason I put a bird bath in my backyard. Keep us updated!

#6 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 May 2009 - 03:22 AM

That seems odd, as I have read that birds can help to keep the insect population down and thus prevent insect damage. This is actually the reason I put a bird bath in my backyard. Keep us updated!

I actually happened to see a bird fly in there , which surprised me. I have plenty of food out for birds, and a bird bath too. I was hoping maybe there was a bug on one of the plants and they wanted it. All i can do is wait and see now.Could it be Cutworms??Thanks for the info on those Mudd. I would say no, since i look my plants over daily and have not seen any . They would have to be pretty elusive.

#7 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:19 PM

Could it be Cutworms??Description: https://www.uri.edu/...s/cutworms.htmlMore Info: https://extension.un...0547_Rep569.pdfBest of Luck in any case!!

I dug around the rhizome this evening and found one cutworm . Right in the middle of the plant, the birds are off the hook . I broke two new shoots trying to grow ( so don't reserve my class seat in virginia at the FBI academy just yet) digging for the thing. The site info you sent was good. It recomended to find the problem , he was there taking a nap . Just the one. Anyhow , now this thread can die. Just thought i should say thanks Mudd. Info was good.

#8 Mudd

Mudd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Illinois

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:28 PM

I dug around the rhizome this evening and found one cutworm . Right in the middle of the plant, the birds are off the hook . I broke two new shoots trying to grow ( so don't reserve my class seat in virginia at the FBI academy just yet) digging for the thing. The site info you sent was good. It recomended to find the problem , he was there taking a nap . Just the one. Anyhow , now this thread can die. Just thought i should say thanks Mudd. Info was good.

Thanks for letting me know that you found the problem.I didn't know that cutworms would attack hops, but your description sure sounded like 'em.If you have any shoots left, wrap them in paper. Brown paper bags are a good source.Seven dust will slow them down.I hope you squashed the critter in a fit of righteous vengeance!Again, Good Luck :rolf:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users