#21 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:53 PM

As far as alcohol having to be 70% to be effective, I'd be interested in seeing some more info. I don't use it a a primary sterilizer, hence the star-san. But I do use it for such items as wiping off a yeast pouch before I tear it open.

The 70% number is all over the place...MB Raines mentions using 70%: https://www.maltosef...t_Culturing.phpIn First Steps in Yeast Culture Rajotte says, " It has its maximum effect when mixed with water at a concentration of 70% by weight (77% per volume). In some areas it is possible to purchase drinking alcohol at a concentration of 90%. However, alcohol at this concentration has a lower germicidal effect than at a 70% concentrations. Drinking alcohol such as gin or vodka is sold at concentrations of 40%. ALthough good, it is not as effective as 70%."

#22 brewhead

brewhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:06 PM

i keep a spray bottle of both starsan and everclear up in the barn.as far as the foam..you're being paranoid.

#23 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:07 PM

Sounds like you need to shop somewhere else. Here we get 1 gallon Star-San for $42.50/gallon. 1 gallon of Sani-Clean is $38.50. So at least here in St. Louis it is the opposite. I'm sure Drew could bring some back the next time to KC.

Saniclean requires double the mix vs Starsan......So, more money. Saniclean is more expensive. But you got a good deal there for sure.

#24 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19201 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:09 PM

The 70% number is all over the place...

Sanitizers work by bursting the cell walls. So, probably something to do with needing water to get cell permeability. Anyway... I think alcohol is a decent surface sanitizer. I know breweries use it to spray down stuff, probably because it's convenient. They can just buy a bottle of it put a sprayer on it and it's good forever. That's obviously not their sanitizer, however. I have a bottle around, but mostly use it to spray down flasks and flame them for starters.

#25 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:19 PM

Saniclean requires double the mix vs Starsan......So, more money. Saniclean is more expensive. But you got a good deal there for sure.

That I did not know. :shock: That just put Sani-clean on my do not purchase list. Thanks for the info!

#26 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:27 PM

That I did not know. :shock: That just put Sani-clean on my do not purchase list. Thanks for the info!

I think Saniclean has its place. Like keg washers that seem to be the thing to build in my club. Saniclean works better in this situation. Another situation is when folks pump sanitizer through their entire system. Some of the folks don't like the foam from the pumping. The foam doesn't bother me none. As others noted, when filling fermenters, the foam gets chased out from the wort anyways.

#27 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:16 PM

Define "most." :shock:

Its greater than some.

And less than "all"

#28 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64052 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:37 PM

I look at it this way.I put 1 ounce of StarSan in 5 gallons, or 640 ounces.1/640 = 0.156% (less than 1 %). So at "full strength", your StarSan solution is 99.844% water and 0.156% StarSan.When you pour it out of the craboy, or bucket, you get almost all the 5 gallons of back. The StarSan left behind is in the form of foam, that foam is what? I will guess 97% air and 3% solution. Now you have 3% or your 0.156% left in your bucket.When you rack on top of the foam and push the foam out, you get rid of what? I guess 50% of the foam. So 50% of 3% of 0.156% = 0.00234%.Obviously my numbers are speculation and guesses. But the idea is valid. Of that foam left behind in your carboy, there ain't much left of your 1 ounce of StarSan.It looks intimidating. I would speculate that your malt contributes much more phosphoric and other chemical stuff to your beer than the residual StarSan does.zymot

I'd say the liquid fraction foam comprises of way less than 3%. It's more likely .3% or .03%.

#29 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19201 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:45 PM

Oh, I also could have mentioned my Star-San Stout. Forgot to flush the star-san in my pump lines and even pumped some from my bucket into the boil kettle. I can't remember how much was in there... like four cups or something. Won a bunch of awards and had all kinds of fun letting people drink it and then tell the story. :shock:

#30 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47946 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:06 PM

Don't let these geeks get you down Gary. :shock:

#31 DaKine

DaKine

a compt roller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationPuna

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:39 PM

I really love it when the foam pushes out of the cornie, sometimes it gets about 3' tall before leaning.I prefer airless transfers tho. but sill have to use the auto-syphon for buckets. I usually use 6g BB for primary.

#32 Alpha Male

Alpha Male

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCollinsville Il.

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:13 PM

I'm getting my ass handed to me on this one aren't I? :shock:

Yea, But seriously it's like parts per million. Take a fingerfull of starsan foam and taste it. That will be all you need to convince you. Harmless and tasteless. Jeff

#33 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26167 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:35 AM

Ethanol is not going to be that volatile. Otherwise, all your drinks would be nonalcoholic by the time you finished them. When I mix a pint of this stuff, I keep it tightly capped when not using it.

Don't want to start a pissing contest over this, but it is volatile. Per the most well quoted internet resource of super knowledge, the wiki states: Ethanol, also called ethyl alcohol, pure alcohol, grain alcohol, or drinking alcohol, is a volatile, flammable, colorless liquid.

#34 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:12 AM

figure that the foam is mostly air. been racking on top of it for years and no issues

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users