#1 OhioMurb

OhioMurb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:03 PM

What do people use to mark the inside of their vessels? Sharpie? Is there some non-toxic paint?Not too worried about it, but is there a smart solution for the graduations in my hot liquor tank or measuring stick?

#2 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:06 PM

I think you're talking about marking your kettle for volumes?If you have a Dremel tool, you can etch the graduations into the side of your kettle. If not, I would reccommend using a paint stick marked with the graduations and dipping that into the collected hot liquor/wort to see how much you've collected.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:08 PM

I think you're talking about marking your kettle for volumes?If you have a Dremel tool, you can etch the graduations into the side of your kettle. If not, I would reccommend using a paint stick marked with the graduations and dipping that into the collected hot liquor/wort to see how much you've collected.

I have a wooden dowel that I put notches in every 1/2 gallon.

#4 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9734 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:13 PM

For the kettle, I took rigid copper pipe, put a T-fitting on it so that is sits on the top of the kettle. Then the "leg" than is down in the pot, I took the dremel and notched it every half gallon. (I use a keggle to boil)I wouldn't plan on marking on the inside of vessel with a pen/paint/whatever. Even if it is "non-toxic", that doesnt mean you want it in your beer.

#5 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:13 PM

I marked a piece of cpvc with a sharpie, starting at 5 gallons and going in half gallon increments up to 13.

#6 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:16 PM

I have a wooden dowel that I put notches in every 1/2 gallon.

This is what I have used for years.I would not etch anything on the inside of the kettle for fear of harboring any nasties. If you have an Android, you can download a Brewzor App that you can get kettle volume calculations.

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:19 PM

*notes that he needs a measuring stick for volumes*I have been using a gallon jug to pour my wort in or my strike water and its a tiring technique. Plus I am thinking about so many other things that I tend to lose count. :) I would be much better off with a measuring stick.Cheers!Rich

#8 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:39 PM

CPVC 1/2" pipe.Hacksawed at one gallon increments. Two "O" rings fit over the pipe.Use one for desired volume, present volume; or whatever.

#9 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47988 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 10 August 2010 - 04:16 PM

I marked a piece of cpvc with a sharpie, starting at 5 gallons and going in half gallon increments up to 13.

That's exactly what I do. After 4 years, it's time to replace the markings.

#10 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 10 August 2010 - 04:59 PM

I would not etch anything on the inside of the kettle for fear of harboring any nasties.

Not too much of an issue.. it's the kettle. What I would be concerned about with etching would be creating sites for corrosion to occur.

#11 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19222 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:17 PM

CPVC 1/2" pipe.Hacksawed at one gallon increments. Two "O" rings fit over the pipe.Use one for desired volume, present volume; or whatever.

1/4" titanium rod (mcmaster-carr 89145K333).Stainless steel shaft collars at 1 gallon increments.

#12 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:18 PM

My boil pot i honestly have used permanent marker for years on the lines i measured.It fades over time(my scrubbing with a wash rag no doubt).I only have two lines in the pot.Never really thought about it that much.Maybe i will now. :)

#13 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10740 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:44 PM

no need for a dedicated measureing stick. Whatever spoon or other device you may use to stir the wort can be marked.

#14 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:01 PM

I put a cheapo site glass, actually cheap flexible tubing that needs easy replacement every few years, on the EHLT (permanent markings on the Sanke I use for this). I use a piece of scrap Al I had around for a dipstick in the kettle. Does the job here just fine.

#15 davelew

davelew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19222 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:09 PM

no need for a dedicated measureing stick. Whatever spoon or other device you may use to stir the wort can be marked.

I disagree. Sure, a spoon will work, but to really measure you need a titanium rod.

#16 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:17 PM

............ you need a titanium rod.

Posted Image Probably the best suggestion yet. No comment though since it's family hour. Posted Image

#17 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10740 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:47 AM

I disagree. Sure, a spoon will work, but to really measure you need a titanium rod.

I stand corrected. Especially when you get one of those recipes that calls for 11.37 lbs of grain and 1.13 oz of hops, you need to make sure your preboil volume of 6.83 gallons is met.

#18 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:49 AM

My stirring device is one of those high temp spatulas. If I were to push it all the way to the bottom the handle would get all sticky.

#19 davelew

davelew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19222 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:50 AM

I stand corrected. Especially when you get one of those recipes that calls for 11.37 lbs of grain and 1.13 oz of hops, you need to make sure your preboil volume of 6.83 gallons is met.

You misunderstand me. A marked spoon is just as accurate as a titanium rod, it's just not as cool.

#20 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10740 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:02 AM

You misunderstand me. A marked spoon is just as accurate as a titanium rod, it's just not as cool.

no I checked, titanium would be much more accurate, why do you think it costs so much?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users