#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:28 PM

For every beer, you screw two things up in the process.I don't even have the energy to fill you guys in on this one tonight. Maybe I'll feel up to it tomorrow. :covreyes:(spoiler: the beer did seem to come out OK)

#2 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:26 AM

I have never started drinking before i start the boil,and i limit myself to no more than two .After that it's back to water for me.

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 10 August 2010 - 04:13 AM

I know I drink pretty much every time that I brew but also realize that there are obvious dangers in brewing even at home. I never let myself get out of control while I brew just for safety reasons. Do I drink from start to finish yes but if I ever feel that its caught up with me I stop and just keep the brew going.

#4 Given2fly

Given2fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:21 AM

When I brew by myself, I do not drink anything until I'm finished, but when I brew with others...a few beers here, a few beers there...and the mistakes pile up.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:42 AM

When I brew by myself, I do not drink anything until I'm finished, but when I brew with others...a few beers here, a few beers there...and the mistakes pile up.

same drinking schedule here but my drinking and my mistakes don't seem to be correlated. I've had flawless brew days while I had a few beers and I've had days where I keep doing stupid shit where I haven't had a drop of booze.

#6 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10740 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:51 AM

I like to wait until the burners are turned off and the heavy lifting is done before having a beer. So basically I occasionally crack one for clean up

#7 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:26 AM

Almost invariably, I will screw up multiple things when my BAC is zero. I think I slow down and pay more attention if I have 1 maybe 2.

#8 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:33 AM

+1

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:38 AM

Almost invariably, I will screw up multiple things when my BAC is zero. I think I slow down and pay more attention if I have 1 maybe 2.

that could be the case with me as well. kind of like how I'm probably a safer driver if I've had one or two beers. My reflexes aren't hindered but I'm on heightened alert b/c I don't even want to risk getting pulled over.

#10 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:00 AM

i'm still a newbie to brewing (and i'm only doing extract brewing at this point), so i definitely don't have the experience that you guys have. but, i tend to drink a few when i'm brewing. one thing that i have noticed that helps me out is i have everything laid out and ready to go before i begin. i have a checklist that i made that shows what i need to do at various points during the boil, and i time everything carefully. this helps keep me on track. my biggest problem is making sure i have my burner set perfectly so i can boil as hard as possible without boiling over. i do full boils in a 9 gallon pot, but i tend to have a problem with boilovers if i'm not always playing close attention. but, i think that's more of a problem of trying to boil as hard as possible.

#11 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:13 AM

I just kegged a batch last night that I brewed a few weeks ago when there were some buddies over and we were ummm....yeah! Dee R U N K! I sampled it going into the keg and I was quite impressed with my effort. I remember missing the mark on some hop additions, zested fruit addition, I pitched my yeast at too high a temp, etc, etc! And after stressing about this batch for a few weeks, it turned out teriffic! I think I got lucky because as usual,I tend to be much more focused on those sober brew days...RDWHAHB! :covreyes:

#12 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:38 AM

So far I have been sober for all of my all grain batches. I have yet to have a perfect brew day. I got drunk and brewed my second beer ever and it turned out to be crap. I passed out while the wort was chilling and woke up at 4 am and finished. Cheers,Rich

#13 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:46 AM

So far I have been sober for all of my all grain batches. I have yet to have a perfect brew day. I got drunk and brewed my second beer ever and it turned out to be crap. I passed out while the wort was chilling and woke up at 4 am and finished. Cheers,Rich

yeah - I haven't passed out from drinking for about 10 years.

#14 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:31 AM

yeah - I haven't passed out from drinking for about 10 years.

What is this "passing out" that you speak of???(|) :covreyes:

#15 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:34 AM

What is this "passing out" that you speak of???(|) :covreyes:

hard booze can make it happen for me. most beers not so much.

#16 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:35 AM

I always have a couple of beers while I brew, usually during the less busy parts of the brew. Like during the mash or once the boil is going and under control. Never have issues with drinking causing mistakes, then again I'm not pounding them down either. I brewed an English Brown on Sunday, that I managed to finish everything in 4 and 1/2 hours, I was shocked when I seen the time when I finished.

#17 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:36 AM

Sounds just like me!

#18 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:43 AM

What is this "passing out" that you speak of???(|) :)

I drank all day, played soccer, and came home drank some more and decided to brew around 9pm. Two of my friends came over and we killed another case while I was brewing. Around 1 am I passed out on the couch while waiting for the wort to chill. Woke up at 4 am and finished the brew day... er, night.Cheers,Rich

#19 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49864 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:14 PM

My rule is that I don't have a beer until I am mashed in. I tend to keep things pretty sober though.

#20 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:55 AM

My real Hall of Fame screw up from Monday night was when I was chilling the wort. I turned on the chiller and went off to do something else. It usually takes ~18 minutes to chill to ale pitching temps. I was peeking at my thermocouple readout as I was doing things and noticed it slowed down quite a bit when it got into the low 80s. A few minutes later I checked back and it was only at 77 after 23 minutes. At this point I'm wondering what the heck is going on, then I realized I never turned off the element in the kettle. :devil:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users