#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:43 PM

I just ordered 4 kegs from Cornykeg.com They are all reconditioned ball locks for $104. Pretty good deal considering after I buy the O-rings and stuff it'll cost me that much anyway. The pin locks are really cheap. $14.50/keg - cleaned in a 2 pack. That's the cheapest I have ever seen them. I'll probably get some of those too.Cheers,Rich

#2 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:14 PM

I just ordered 4 kegs from Cornykeg.com They are all reconditioned ball locks for $104. Pretty good deal considering after I buy the O-rings and stuff it'll cost me that much anyway. The pin locks are really cheap. $14.50/keg - cleaned in a 2 pack. That's the cheapest I have ever seen them. I'll probably get some of those too.Cheers,Rich

Does the $104 include Shipping & Handling????I know I should probably pick up at least 2 more.

#3 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:21 PM

Does the $104 include Shipping & Handling????I know I should probably pick up at least 2 more.

There is a beverage company up in my area that hundreds of cornies for 25.00 a piece. He still has his CL add here: https://sfbay.craigs...1882529939.htmlI picked up 4 from him about 6 months ago. Need some work, but will be good when I'm done with them. Nothing a good hot PBW soak and o-rings won't fix. Get your o-ring's from McMaster. That way you'll have a good supply of them, and it is WAY cheaper than getting the o-ring kits from LHBS's.

#4 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:29 PM

I am quite positive that cost is without shipping and handling. Even so, I think it is a good price for shipped kegs, and if I am in a pinch and needs kegs, I would be willing to purchase from them. I am a bit hesitant at their in house manufacturing of the ball lock posts, so I would personally just go with the pin locks as I am equipped to work with both ball lock and pin lock. Plus the pin locks are cheaper, and that is my main benchmark for getting kegs.

#5 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:49 PM

I am quite positive that cost is without shipping and handling. Even so, I think it is a good price for shipped kegs, and if I am in a pinch and needs kegs, I would be willing to purchase from them. I am a bit hesitant at their in house manufacturing of the ball lock posts, so I would personally just go with the pin locks as I am equipped to work with both ball lock and pin lock. Plus the pin locks are cheaper, and that is my main benchmark for getting kegs.

Without shipping. Even at 133 w/shipping total that is 33.25/keg reconditioned and shipped. That aint bad at all considering they are going for 40-45 reconditioned without shipping at most of the online HBS's. I'm thinking about getting 4 of the pin locks as well and cleaning them up myself. That would put me at 10 kegs total which should hold me over for a while.Cheers,Rich

#6 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:32 PM

picked up my 8 pin locks at Adventures in Homebrewing. $160 total or thereabouts.

#7 *_Guest_BigBossMan_*

*_Guest_BigBossMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:24 PM

nvm...

Edited by BigBossMan, 09 August 2010 - 04:25 PM.

#8 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:27 AM

They are scheduled to arrive today!Cheers,Rich

#9 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:00 AM

I got the kegs. They look great except 3 of them have strange pressure release valves on them. One has the little pull ring, the other 3 are kind of weird.Posted ImageHow do these work? Will I be able to still manually release the pressure, or are these a fail/no fail pressure release?I'm guessing if worst comes to worst, when I fill on the liquid line for carbing I could use a screw driver to hold open the gas in lock and release it that way, but that sounds like a PITA.What sayeth the beer forum?Cheers,Rich

#10 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:29 AM

Yes, they are most likely just emergency release valves. If you take a picture closer up of the top and bottom sides of the lid, that could help.Also, could you post a picture of the plugs? I'm interested to see how well they machined them.An easy way to release pressure is just to use a spare gas disconnect. You can also purchase lids that have the manual pressure relief valves, but they tend to be pretty expensive for what they are.

#11 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:20 AM

I tired to get a better picture but my phone sucks and the flash washed out anything you could see. I'll get my good camera and get some pics tonight.The posts looked really good. The one side is black anodized I think, the other is normal. I'm kind of pissed off that these don't have manual release valves on them (except the one) There wasn' an option to get that when I ordered and I don't recall seeing any warning that they would be different.Cheers,Rich

#12 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:19 AM

Yea, I can understand your feelings.The way I understand it though, is that all those 'ball lock' kegs started as pin lock kegs, and the vast majority of pin lock kegs came with either no pressure relief valve, or that emergency pressure relief valve. So in a way, you could actually see it as being lucky that one of the kegs had the manual pressure relief valve.I have so many pin lock kegs that I've become accustomed to working with it, and I actually have a small plastic gadget that depresses the gas side, but that wouldn't help you since yours have been converted to ball lock fittings. I definitely prefer having the manual pressure relief valve though. I have some lids with leaky ones, but I haven't bought replacement valves yet because they are so expensive for such a small part of the keg.

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:35 AM

Well then maybe I'm just being over sensitive. The keg pictured on the website doesn't have a manual release. That's the only indication and I'm still a noob at kegging, so I thought all kegs were created equal for some stupid reason.I'm gonna fill one of these guys with MLPA tonight.Cheers,Rich

#14 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:38 AM

I was going to get some of these until i realized they were re-engineered pin locks with aluminum QD fittings. That scared me away a little bit.

#15 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:39 AM

You can get just the original pin locks for a cheaper price with the stainless plugs.

#16 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:19 PM

I was going to get some of these until i realized they were re-engineered pin locks with aluminum QD fittings. That scared me away a little bit.

I design with aluminum all the time and these parts seem to be high quality, and the anodization looks very even and well done. I'm not too worried about it. There was a warning that you shouldn't use high alkaline washes like PBW to clean it because it could prematurely wear the anodized metal. It says just to use soapy water, rinse thoroughly, and then the usual sanitizer.Cheers,Rich

#17 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14976 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:19 PM

Price looked good, so I went to order 2 of the 4 packs, and checked on shipping prices.$109.That brings price/keg to near $40 for me, and I can get them locally for that or less.

#18 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:27 PM

I design with aluminum all the time and these parts seem to be high quality, and the anodization looks very even and well done. I'm not too worried about it. There was a warning that you shouldn't use high alkaline washes like PBW to clean it because it could prematurely wear the anodized metal. It says just to use soapy water, rinse thoroughly, and then the usual sanitizer.Cheers,Rich

dang...i wish i would have known that before i bought some elsewhere.

#19 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:29 PM

Price looked good, so I went to order 2 of the 4 packs, and checked on shipping prices.$109.That brings price/keg to near $40 for me, and I can get them locally for that or less.

It was $33 to ship for me. That put it at around $33 refurbished, cleaned, and new orings per keg. The pin locks are much more economical if you do all the rehab yourself.BTW: Last time I tried to enter the mcmaster number from the FAQ for the oring replacements I think they were changed. Does anyone have the mcmaster number for a complete set of orings for a keg?Cheers,Rich

#20 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:51 PM

The aluminum posts really scare me. You can almost always get real ball locks for less if you watch CL. I just got a bunch for under $20 a piece.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users