#1 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48013 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:25 PM

I made sort of a kitchen-sink brew several weeks ago that I was hoping would be in the area of American Amber. It didn't turn out as planned, and instead is a weird hybrid.I didn't have enough of the dark crystal I needed to make the amber, but I did have a bag of specialties that I'd intended for 5 gal of Northern Brown - light chocolate, Victory, etc. I added a good quantity of crystal 60L and light munich and bumped the whole batch to 10 gallons. Then I hopped the crap out of it with columbus, amarillo, and liberty and fermented with S-05.What I ended up with is just weird. It has a big toasty background like an English brown, but with a very strong American hop presence. It's not caramel-ly enough and has too much hop to be an American Brown ale, too much toast for an American Amber, and WAY too much columbus for an English Brown.It will definitely get consumed, but I won't try that again. :P

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:08 PM

India Brown Ale?

#3 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:28 PM

I ended up doing something very similar about a month a go or so. But I ended up throwing in 4oz of RB. It's roasty. Check the thread here. Like you said, it will get drank but I definately will not make it again.

#4 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:08 PM

It actually sounds like the perfect beer let sit for a few months. The toastiness/roastiness should smooth out, the hop character should subside, and you just might end up with an awesome American Brown.

#5 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:49 PM

India Brown Ale?

Posted Image

#6 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:51 PM

Ok I was wrong. Mine has aged abit and the roasty edge has faded and the hoppiness has come forward. This is a nice beer! :blink:

#7 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48013 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:54 PM

Ok I was wrong. Mine has aged abit and the roasty edge has faded and the hoppiness has come forward. This is a nice beer! :P

Yeah, mine is too. It's taking on a toasty-biscuity flavor that reminds me of fat tire, actually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users