#1 HokieTrismegistus

HokieTrismegistus

Not HokieBrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:27 AM

We got some Colt 45 tags printed up, and under "Colt 45" it says "lager beer."I almost went up to my boss and said "um... Colt 45 isn't a lager; it's malt liquor."Then I realized this would sound like retarded gibberish to anyone else.The poor bastards don't know their styles well enough. And I know them too well.

#2 chauvan

chauvan

Comptroller of Jewish Scuba Divers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNavarre, FL

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:31 AM

Aren't malt liquors lagered (or at least using a lager yeast?)

#3 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19250 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:40 AM

Aren't malt liquors lagered (or at least using a lager yeast?)

Many states have laws about calling something about a certain abv "beer" or "lager".

#4 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Comptroller of BigAssMan

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43700 posts
  • Locationen route

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:58 AM

Many states have laws about calling something about a certain abv "beer" or "lager".

I believe Texas has some weird law regarding what is called 'ale'.

#5 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29341 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:14 AM

I would think that most malt liquors are lagers. They are really just high gravity American Standards.

#6 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:23 AM

Carlsberg Elephant is malt liquor and Carlsberg describes it as a "strong pilsner" so I would say that malt liquors are lagers.

#7 HokieTrismegistus

HokieTrismegistus

Not HokieBrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:25 AM

I would think that most malt liquors are lagers. They are really just high gravity American Standards.

Then why does bjcp have a malt liquor category?Also, I read an article about the beginnings of malt liquor stating they were originally brewed with champagne yeast.

#8 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29341 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:08 AM

Then why does bjcp have a malt liquor category?Also, I read an article about the beginnings of malt liquor stating they were originally brewed with champagne yeast.

The bjcp doesn't have a malt liquor category. It isn't really a style that you see homebrewers brewing. The brewer association which keeps more up to date on what commerical breweries make has it as a lager on page 24. https://www.brewersa..._Style_2010.pdfI don't really know about the the history of malt liquor and they very well could have started with the champagne yeast for the higher gravity but at this point in time the commercial brewers that make the style are going to using a lager yeast. To b honest from a scientific standpoint I don't know if champagne yeast is an ale or lager yeast or something else. As a side note bread yeast is scientifically an ale yeast but the strain(s) have evolved to specialize to either beer or bread.The definition of a lager is really debatable one could be referring to the ingredients (lager yeast) or the process (to store at a cold temp). My guess is colt 45 does both although the storage at a cold temp is probably for a short time.My guess is that malt liquor started out as either a legal term or a marketing term to represent beers that were stronger that most. These types of terms gets mixed up all the time. You will see old English Adds that ID 3 types: Beer, Ale, and Stouts. The Beer probably referred to a pilsner based lager, the Stouts which are traditionally ales probably to stouts and porters, while the ale was the pale ales and bitters. As someone else mentioned TX requires anything above a certain abv to be called an ale. You will often see European lagers labeled as ales in the US for this reason it is easier to have one package for US export than a special one for TX.

#9 LibraAle

LibraAle

Comptroller of Nuns and Apostles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1970 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:10 AM

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

#10 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34006 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:14 AM

I believe Texas has some weird law regarding what is called 'ale'.

texas isn't the only one. go look at kona's longboard lager. on the side of the label, rotated 90 degrees, is "ale".

#11 mikebrad

mikebrad

Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4038 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:34 AM

beer vendor makes it sound like you work at a ballpark

#12 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26210 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:42 AM

I head that malt liquor is just an American standard lager ferment before it get's it's dillution to typical lager abv levels. I can't verify this as true, but it makes sense to meETA- Link to Charlie P's OE800 clone - see post 9. Don't know if it's actually his, but I've thought about brewing it for the hell of it

Edited by EWW, 03 August 2010 - 06:54 AM.

#13 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8265 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:57 AM

Doesn't it make you go blind?

#14 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10760 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:14 AM

I wish I could remember what beer I had this weekend but on the lable it said 'Malt Liquor in Texas and some other state'. My understanding is that malt liqour can be a lager or ale yeast and is more a definition of the ABV that some states legislate.

#15 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:27 AM

Malt Liquor has been a BJCP category in the past.I believe they recommend you judge it out back by the dumpster while drinking it from a paper bag.

#16 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:13 AM

We got some Colt 45 tags printed up, and under "Colt 45" it says "lager beer."I almost went up to my boss and said "um... Colt 45 isn't a lager; it's malt liquor."

Sorry, son...it IS a lager. See, you saved yerself from looking like an idiot! :smilielol:

#17 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:14 AM

Malt Liquor has been a BJCP category in the past.I believe they recommend you judge it out back by the dumpster while drinking it from a paper bag.

From 40 oz. bottles. IIRC, that's how it was done at the Bluebonnet.

#18 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5042 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:11 PM

From 40 oz. bottles. IIRC, that's how it was done at the Bluebonnet.

I think the official rule is to duct tape a 40 to each hand and play Edward 40-Hands.Jim

#19 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:28 PM

I was stocking some steel reserve today and started reading the label....check it out you will have a great laugh...

#20 HokieTrismegistus

HokieTrismegistus

Not HokieBrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2800 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:39 AM

I was stocking some steel reserve today and started reading the label....check it out you will have a great laugh...

Steel Reserve advertises itself specifically as a High Gravity Lager though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users