4 replies to this topic

#1 Hooperjetcar

Hooperjetcar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationBAMA

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:21 AM

First a warning, if you are new to brewing, this is not a recommended practice. I have found that it works for me, but it does put your beer at risk for contamination.Now my question. Anyone else here chill their wort overnight. I mash and boil on the first day, carefully transfer hot wort to the fermentors, and stick them in the cool basement overnight. Next day I come back and pitch yeast. I have done this for two batches, and am happy with the results. My issue is that the cooling of the wort creates a vacuum if I seal the lids, pulling the maximum amount of whatever is in the air into the fermentors . However, leaving them wide open for 12 to 24 hours doesn't seem like a good idea either. Anyone else doing this? If so, what are you doing during the cooling phase? Thanks for any help.

#2 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:32 AM

put a sanitized piece of foil of the top...i do this when i cold crash in my mini fridge where an airlock wont fit. You should be ok

#3 LiverDance

LiverDance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationHalfiax, Nova Scotia

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:38 AM

I've done it before and used a water container from camping to store the wort while it was cooling. I learned about it on the aussie homebrew site.

#4 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19222 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:06 AM

I use the S-type of airlock. If you have the right amount of liquid, it works as an airlock in either direction, sucking or blowing.Actually, even the three-piece airlock are capable of working in reverse, but there's a much smaller range of the amount of liquid that will let it work in reverse.

My issue is that the cooling of the wort creates a vacuum if I seal the lids, pulling the maximum amount of whatever is in the air into the fermentors .

#5 rockon

rockon

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2666 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:13 AM

What about something like a coffee filter and a rubber band? It would still allow pressure equalization, but also sor to seal things up. I don't know if contaminants are small enough to get through the filter, though.

Edited by rockon, 08 May 2009 - 11:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users