#1 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:12 AM

I recently installed a dip tube in my kettle and am stumped about how to drain all the wort. My valve and dip tube are about 3 1/2" inches from the bottom of the kettle and I've got the dip tube pointed down to about a 1/2'' off the bottom of my kettle. This morning as a test run and filled my kettle with water and let it drain. Problem is, the liquid below the level of the valve was left behind. The whole reason I installed a dip tube was to get as much wort out of my kettle as possible. Based on this test, I'm going to leave about a gallon of wort in the kettle.Am I doing something wrong? Any tips?Thanks in advance!

#2 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19250 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:16 AM

If you drain into a hose, and the hose outlet is below the bottom of the kettle, the tube/valve/hose should act like a siphon to get out everything down to 1/2" from the bottom.If the system won't hold enough of a vacuum for the siphon to work, you may have a loose connection between your dip tube and valve.

#3 Kunsan90

Kunsan90

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationPurgatory ...

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:30 AM

What Dave stated sounds like what experienced when testing a manifold I made for Ice Cube several years back. When I filled it with water and just opened the value, a bunch of liquid was left behind. When I added hose and let drain into a bucket below the valve, the cooler was completely drained.

#4 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:34 AM

If you drain into a hose, and the hose outlet is below the bottom of the kettle, the tube/valve/hose should act like a siphon to get out everything down to 1/2" from the bottom.If the system won't hold enough of a vacuum for the siphon to work, you may have a loose connection between your dip tube and valve.

I didn't use a hose this morning (and I normally would). I was just draining it out of the barb fitting. I assumed it would act as a siphon too so thanks for the clarification.This is why I love this board.....people on here are smarter than me! <_<

#5 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:33 PM

I didn't use a hose this morning (and I normally would). I was just draining it out of the barb fitting. I assumed it would act as a siphon too so thanks for the clarification.This is why I love this board.....people on here are smarter than me! :cheers:

My setup has a copper dip tube attatched to ball valve. from the out of the ball valve is a piece of hose. What I do to start my siphon in order to pickup all of the wort is use a sanitized turkey baster. If you stick the end of the baster into the hose and squeeze the bulb, it wil start your siphon safely.once you get that suction going it should be fine from there out till its all drained. cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users