#41 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:39 AM

Like Dean said, VVs do have sealing issues. I've only brewed 3 beers and they all have been unimpressive. I'm thinking one issue might be the lack of air seal for fermenting. Tough to say though. I wish there was an easy fix for my lid leaking, but I can't think of one. I'd try to go another route if I had to do it over again.

What problems would be caused by the vittles vault not making a perfect seal when slightly pressurized? Other than the airlock not bubbling? Here's what I do to fix my lid. I bought some food grade silicone caulking and I sealed the inside of the lid-ring. On the screw grooves I use keg lube to encourge the seal there. I'm trying to get it to seal to the point where I can push with CO2, but I have a little contraption I need to build before I can try that out. I have just built a new VV fermenter with the caulking, so that's actually new to me and this fermenter is going to be put into use with the next big batch I make. I've had minor success with just the keg lube in the past, sometimes the airlock/blowoff would bubble, sometimes it wouldn't. Either way I don't think this would have a major impact on the beer. Sierra Nevada's marketing would have you think that decreased pressure on the beer actually serves to improve the flavors. If you don't have a perfect seal what you're basically doing is modern open fermentation, where the fermenter is covered but an airlock isn't in use, and due to the minor pressure different you're beer is basically protected against infection. So I don't see how the lack of a perfect seal would affect your beers flavor to a great degree (unless you think open fermentations provide optimal conditions for the yeast). I did the silicone caulking thing mostly as a way to make cleaning easier, rather than disassembling the lid like Dean's site describes I just covered up the cracks with food grade silicone which will make cleaning & sanitizing easier. I'll take some pictures so I can explain it better, but I sealed it from the inside.

Edited by chuck_d, 11 May 2009 - 11:39 AM.

#42 Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg FL

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:47 AM

I had to mill down the edge of the sealing surface on the VV so that the o-ring in the Gamma-Seal lid they use would seal. I placed a straight-edge on the top rim and found the low spots. I filed with a flat file until the curvature allowed full contact of the o-ring. I'd think that the folks who mold those things would place more focus on the rim as a critical area, and of course this rim area is at the place in the molding that has the most inconsistencies due to design. I don't think they test the seals, as if they did, they would never make the "airtight" claim.

#43 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:58 AM

I'm not making the claim that my bad seal is definitely the culprit, just that I don't know what else is. I assumed it would be fine for the reasons listed above. Having a higher internal pressure should keep the bad stuff out, and it actually may work in practice as well as it does in theory. I just know that I have a certain flavor in all three of my beers that I don't like and don't know particularly why.By having a perfect seal, or fixing the one I have, I can eliminate one possible problem. If they sealed properly, I would be one step further than I am now. That's my only point.

#44 kbhale

kbhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationEvansville IN

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:50 PM

I use these https://www.buytheca...bags_25_gallon/ they'll hold 14 pound but I just put 10lb in each one. When I buy a bag or two of base grain I spend the evening weighing out 10lb to each zip lock. They can be reused if you take care of them. Some of my zip lock are on their fifth reuse. They keep the bugs and humidity out. I store them in totes.

#45 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:45 AM

I had to mill down the edge of the sealing surface on the VV so that the o-ring in the Gamma-Seal lid they use would seal. I placed a straight-edge on the top rim and found the low spots. I filed with a flat file until the curvature allowed full contact of the o-ring. I'd think that the folks who mold those things would place more focus on the rim as a critical area, and of course this rim area is at the place in the molding that has the most inconsistencies due to design. I don't think they test the seals, as if they did, they would never make the "airtight" claim.

So why are these things so expensive again? Pretty soon you may as well just make your own plastic container...

#46 Rustybrew

Rustybrew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:36 AM

You're not referring to the splits in the lid that are made to be cut out before using them, are you?

Even after I pull those splits off, the lids are starting to crack at the spots where the splits were.

#47 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 23 May 2009 - 03:54 PM

I'll take some pictures so I can explain it better, but I sealed it from the inside.

So here is the caulking a I did on my VV fermenter. Rather than modifying it to remove this part for cleaning I just sealed it off with food grade silicone caulking.Looking at it standing from above...Posted ImageLooking from the bottom of the fermenter out (I stuck my camera down in there with the flash & macro on).Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users