46 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:20 AM

I was planning on ordering these from US Plastics but the 40lb one I wanted to order is out of stock right now. Everywhere else is little more expensive so I thought I would throw this out there. I'm in on a group buy so I'll be receiving 240lb of grain in 3-4 weeks. :P

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:19 AM

I do not have any but have looked online. Looks like Good Old Walmart has the best deal, especially if you can get site to store shipping. I maybe go that route or just get some Rubbermaid totes at Lowes Home Improvement. I think the 50lb vittles are $24 25 at Walmart. Let us know what you do, I would be interested to hear.

#3 xd_haze

xd_haze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:15 AM

Walmart (online only) has the 50 lb vittle vaults. They are $25, shipped free to a store. I have two, and each one holds a sack of grain perfectly. Mike H

I was planning on ordering these from US Plastics but the 40lb one I wanted to order is out of stock right now. Everywhere else is little more expensive so I thought I would throw this out there. I'm in on a group buy so I'll be receiving 240lb of grain in 3-4 weeks. :P

#4 carluchi

carluchi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationChardon, Oh

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:42 AM

Actually the 50lb Vittle vault at Walmart is NOT eligible for ship to store and the shipping is like $17. Total cost including shipped ends up being about $40 which sucksUpdate: Just checked Walmart and the shipping is only $10 (it was $17 around Xmas).

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:46 AM

Actually the 50lb Vittle vault at Walmart is NOT eligible for ship to store and the shipping is like $17. Total cost including shipped ends up being about $40 which sucks

weak - so even though it displays free to store shipping on the top page it won't let you when you try to order?there has to be a cheaper solution for an airtight container...

#6 carluchi

carluchi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationChardon, Oh

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:50 AM

Correct, as soon as you select the 50lb version, the ship to store option goes away

#7 Recklessdeck

Recklessdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLawrence

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:53 AM

weak - so even though it displays free to store shipping on the top page it won't let you when you try to order?there has to be a cheaper solution for an airtight container...

you can always go the multiple 5-gallon bucket route. what are they, like 4$ a pop w/lid from home depot?

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:56 AM

you can always go the multiple 5-gallon bucket route. what are they, like 4$ a pop w/lid from home depot?

Are those airtight? I would think not or I don't know why anyone would spend the cash on stuff like vittles vaults...

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:03 AM

another option is 5g buckets and gamma lids .. https://www.usplasti.....duct_id=20669

#10 NWPines

NWPines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:09 AM

FWIW, I keep my grain in the sack that it comes in (twist the top of the sack nice and tight and close with a zip-tie) and then store in rubbermaid totes (I had a bunch of them from the last time I moved). I got more than 300lbs of grain over a year ago and what is left is still crispy fresh.By the way, this doesn't work too well with the maltsters that use a paper bag, like Briess, but I don't use their malt anyway.

#11 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:11 AM

Are those airtight? I would think not or I don't know why anyone would spend the cash on stuff like vittles vaults...

They are airtight, that's how I store mine and not had a problem... I've wanted to buy the VittleVaults too even though more costly... why? because for me it would save space in my brewing area, I just haven't felt like shelling out the money yet...

#12 carluchi

carluchi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationChardon, Oh

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:16 AM

I wanted one to ferment 10 gal batches in, but the price was too much. I use 2 5gal buckets now and was looking to make things easier for me.

#13 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:39 AM

I use vittles vaults for fermenting, but otherwise do like NWPines and just toss the grain in whatever bag I receive them inside a rubbermaid tote. I mostly don't buy sacks though, smaller amounts come in plastic bags that I just twist tie off.

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:42 AM

another option is 5g buckets and gamma lids .. https://www.usplasti.....duct_id=20669

Which 6 gallon buckets on the website do those fit?

#15 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:44 AM

I use vittles vaults for fermenting, but otherwise do like NWPines and just toss the grain in whatever bag I receive them inside a rubbermaid tote. I mostly don't buy sacks though, smaller amounts come in plastic bags that I just twist tie off.

Well - I'm about to get 3 full 55lb sacks plus a bunch of partial sacks. The partial stuff I may actually just vacuum seal into usable sizes but the big sacks I won't want to do this to my poor seal-a-meal.Any of you jokers know the 1lb of grain to gallon conversion?

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18071 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:53 AM

Which 6 gallon buckets on the website do those fit?

I am guessing these .. https://www.usplasti.....oduct_id=9746 .. but that really does you no good as they are on order too. I wonder if they could tell you if they will work on teh 7g pails?

#17 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:25 AM

I am guessing these .. https://www.usplasti.....oduct_id=9746 .. but that really does you no good as they are on order too. I wonder if they could tell you if they will work on teh 7g pails?

Yeah - it would probably take 2 7gal buckets for one sack of grain. Not too bad I guess...

#18 Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg FL

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:16 PM

Being an owner of Vittles Vaults (with Gamma-Seal lid), as well as Gamma-Seal lids on 5-gallon buckets, I'll suggest getting paint buckets from Home Depot along with the bucket lids that have the seal in them and be done with it. Any common buclet lid should have a big o-ring seal in the lid and will seal just fine for only a few $$.The Gamma-Seal lids do not seal any better than a bucket lid, and actually have two seals that may not seal properly. I use them for grain storage now but I'd never buy them again. I'd also never buy another Vittles Vault as the plastic molding on both of mine was so bad that neither would actually seal to the Gamma Seal lid without me machining-down the sealing surface, and on one of them, adding some silicone. What a hassle!Save money, get buckets, be happy.

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:22 PM

Being an owner of Vittles Vaults (with Gamma-Seal lid), as well as Gamma-Seal lids on 5-gallon buckets, I'll suggest getting paint buckets from Home Depot along with the bucket lids that have the seal in them and be done with it. Any common buclet lid should have a big o-ring seal in the lid and will seal just fine for only a few $$.The Gamma-Seal lids do not seal any better than a bucket lid, and actually have two seals that may not seal properly. I use them for grain storage now but I'd never buy them again. I'd also never buy another Vittles Vault as the plastic molding on both of mine was so bad that neither would actually seal to the Gamma Seal lid without me machining-down the sealing surface, and on one of them, adding some silicone. What a hassle!Save money, get buckets, be happy.

So the lids you are saying I should get can also be purchased at home depot?

#20 Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg FL

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:26 PM

Yes, regular bucket lids usually have a rubber o-ring up inside the sealing surface. Just take a look when you are shopping to make sure this is the case at your store. All the white ones I bought recently have this seal. They should not be a special item, especially if the bucket is from a hardware store and is being sold to hold liquids such as paint.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users