13 replies to this topic

#1 ash

ash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:39 PM

I have a keg mash tun that I am looking to insulate. What to most of you use? I have found this https://www.homedepo...03 90282 531843 at the big box. I would like the most bang for my buck, so please hook me up with some ideas.Thanks.

#2 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:40 PM

Are you heating with LP or electric?

#3 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29333 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:53 PM

i throw a wool blanket on it

#4 ash

ash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:32 PM

I heat with LP. I currently use a blanket, but I am wanting something a little better.Due to my schedule (2 young children), I have started mashing in around 5:00 or so, right before I pick them up and then letting the mash sit until they go to bed around 8:30-9:00. I have done this for 4 batches now and I am impressed with my efficiency with these longer mashes. I had been using my igloo cooler, but I am ready to move into my keg tun. I want to be able to do 10g batches this summer. I have seen several pictures of tuns with reflective insulation and that is the route I was thinking of going.

#5 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:43 PM

Although I don't use a insulation on my tun, since I use cooler, I will tell you that a reflective barrier pointing outward from the tun is useless for retaining heat. A reflective barrier is useful for turning away radiant heat. At any rate, considering the surface temperature of a mash tun at 150 to 160 degrees, the radiant heat emitted from the tun is insignificant compared to the convective heat. Therefore, a reflective barrier is of little imprtance whether it faces inward or ourward. What is important is your R factor (meaning thermal resistance in a thermal circuit), which any insulation is rated to. The higher the R factor, the more it protects against convective heat losses. You might do well to consider a thick fiberglass or mineral wool blanket of insulation for your tun. And make sure you don't flatten or compress the insulation, as that will lessen it's effectiveness.

#6 ash

ash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:50 PM

You know, I wondered to myself how the reflective stuff would be effective if it is pointed outward, but again, I have seen pics of brewing systems where the tun is wrapped in a reflective material.I have heard of folks using hot water heater blankets. maybe that is something for me to explore.

#7 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:57 PM

The reflective foil cover may be useful for neatness, as it provide a sort of lagging to keep the fiber insulation from fraying or pulling loose on the outside, but it is worthless for its insulative properties.

#8 NWPines

NWPines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:13 PM

I use Reflectix because I got a roll of it for free. It's actually just bubble wrap sandwiched between reflective foil on BOTH sides. Works great for me. I just glued some velcro strips on it where it overlaps and can take it on/off my keg MLT quickly.

#9 LBG Bill

LBG Bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:18 PM

I use the heat duct insulation stuff. Its sticky backed and has been on my boil kettle and MT for over 2 years and it hasn't budged or burned. Bought it at Home Depot and it was pretty cheap. I even put it on my smoker last winter when I was doing a deer shank and couldn't get the smoker above 150 cuz it was FREAKIN COLD.Posted Image

#10 *_Guest_Steve-O_*

*_Guest_Steve-O_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:55 AM

Check out the cushions for use under sleeping bags at wally world. They are about 1/2' foam and fairly cheap.

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:31 AM

Use some dense fiberglass or rockwool/mineral wool. It'll be a better insulator than the bubble wrap and it won't ever catch on fire.

#12 NWPines

NWPines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:01 AM

I use the heat duct insulation stuff. Its sticky backed and has been on my boil kettle and MT for over 2 years and it hasn't budged or burned. Bought it at Home Depot and it was pretty cheap. I even put it on my smoker last winter when I was doing a deer shank and couldn't get the smoker above 150 cuz it was FREAKIN COLD.Posted Image

Bill, that's a pretty slick pump enclosure, never thought of using an ammo box. Do you have a power switch rigged up, or do you just run the cord out the back? You ever have problems with your pump overheating?Sorry for the hijack

#13 LBG Bill

LBG Bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:04 AM

Bill, that's a pretty slick pump enclosure, never thought of using an ammo box. Do you have a power switch rigged up, or do you just run the cord out the back? You ever have problems with your pump overheating?Sorry for the hijack

It isn't an ammo box, but its close enough. It was used to house a modem that a friend's business used to connect to their inventory software. I don't have a built-in switch but I use a remote controlled on/off switch, like you would use for Christmas trees.I've never had it over heat, but I do keep tabs on it to make sure it doesn't run hot. I'll pop the top every once in a while, which several people states defeats the purpose, but I didn't build the box to make it water proof, I built the box to make it more portable.The pump is resting on the wire box, and if you look at the pics I added some styrofoam for when I have it laying on its side. I haven't put anything permanent in there for that, but don't see a reason at this point. Though I have moved it from what you can see in the pic so it isn't blocking the air fins.I got a pic set at Flickr.

#14 NWPines

NWPines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 09 May 2009 - 11:13 AM

It isn't an ammo box, but its close enough. It was used to house a modem that a friend's business used to connect to their inventory software. I don't have a built-in switch but I use a remote controlled on/off switch, like you would use for Christmas trees.I've never had it over heat, but I do keep tabs on it to make sure it doesn't run hot. I'll pop the top every once in a while, which several people states defeats the purpose, but I didn't build the box to make it water proof, I built the box to make it more portable.The pump is resting on the wire box, and if you look at the pics I added some styrofoam for when I have it laying on its side. I haven't put anything permanent in there for that, but don't see a reason at this point. Though I have moved it from what you can see in the pic so it isn't blocking the air fins.I got a pic set at Flickr.

Thanks for posting the pics. I've been thinking about taking the pump off my brew stand and mounting it on something portable. I like the idea of an enclosure of some sort.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users