#1 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:33 PM

I'm looking to do a 3- to 5-beer arc with Farmhouse Ale and I'm looking for ideas. I don't really need recipes yet just some novel ideas for interesting Belgian-ish ales. Give me a concept or two to run with and I'll crank out the recipes. The first beer in the series will be a variation of my dark saison. For those who don't know, this is a beer that captures the idea of a spicy saison in a dark beer. It has Special B, caramelized dried cherries, star anise and honey in it. This one will also include about 15% rye malt. The next one may just be a fairly conventional golden strong ale. After that, I'm open for suggestions. I will consider outside-the-box ideas as well as shots straight down the fairway. Fire away gents...make my nipples hard.

#2 chefmiller

chefmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:51 AM

I make a Belgian IPA with that yeast strain that has always been well received. Let me know if you want the recipe or anything.

#3 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:39 AM

Yes, that actually crossed my mind last night after I posted this. I think a Belgian IPA would be great. Please post it in the recipe section if you don't mind.

#4 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19249 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:25 AM

I've been thinking of making a mild or a Scottish 60/- with Saison yeast, but I haven't done it yet. It seems like the yeast might be flavorful enough to work in that sort of beer (plus it would be a useful stepping stone to a high gravity Saison).

#5 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:33 AM

As far as the Golden Strong goes...have you had Jolly Pumpkin Oro de Calabaza? I think this yeast would make an excellent base beer for such an undertaking. :blink: This is a great yeast, have fun with it!

#6 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:40 AM

As far as the Golden Strong goes...have you had Jolly Pumpkin Oro de Calabaza?

I have not but now you've got my curiosity up. Is there a good description of this beer any place that you know of?

This is a great yeast, have fun with it!

Yeah, I'm looking forward to this series. :blink:

#7 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:42 AM

I've been thinking of making a mild or a Scottish 60/- with Saison yeast, but I haven't done it yet. It seems like the yeast might be flavorful enough to work in that sort of beer (plus it would be a useful stepping stone to a high gravity Saison).

I think these will all be fairly high gravity. The dark saison has an OG of 1.080 so no real need for a stepping stone.

#8 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19249 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:46 AM

Do you need to do anything special to maintain yeast health when reusing yeast from 1.080+ beers?

#9 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:52 AM

Do you need to do anything special to maintain yeast health when reusing yeast from 1.080+ beers?

I've found that most of the Belgian strains can tolerate reuse in high gravity beers. Duvel routinely repitches 1388 for 20-30 generations and their pitch rate isn't even all that high. I've also had very good luck with 3787. I've not done that with this yeast specifically but I'm assuming it's as hardy as its cousins. I probably wouldn't repitch after a beer that was very big (like over 100) but I think I should be ok in the 70-80 range. I might finish the arc with a really big one.

#10 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:01 AM

Here in Portland we recently had a festival called Portland's Cheers to Belgian Beers. It was a competition where all breweries submitted a beer made with Wy3726, served them at the festival and the public voted on the winner. The beers ranged from 3% to 12% and covered gruits, saisons, IPAs, strong ales, stouts, sours... everything. My favorite by far was suprisingly a Belgian Table Beir, 3.5% all pilsner. It really let the yeast shine. Might be a good way to start the arc and build up your yeast. :blink:

#11 Stuster

Stuster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:35 PM

I used it in a few beers. I did do a dark saison with it and it worked well so I think that's a good plan. It does well in smaller beers than that dark saison as well. I did a light saison with mostly pils malt, some munich and wheat and a good amount of Challenger late. More like a 5% beer and very drinkable with the yeast adding really nice character. I also did something along the line of Blaugies with a good whack of spelt. Not sure it added anything different to wheat but Styrian Goldings was good with this yeast as well. For me it worked with both lighter, hoppier beers and with darker, stronger beers as well. This yeast gave pretty high attenuation for me, more up in the high 80s up to 90% so your 1080 beer might give you a 9% beer I guess.

#12 chefmiller

chefmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:46 AM

Yes, that actually crossed my mind last night after I posted this. I think a Belgian IPA would be great. Please post it in the recipe section if you don't mind.

Just posted. Just occurred to me that it might be more of a pale as opposed to an IPA, but whatever. It's one of the best beers I've ever brewed, to my taste. Getting ready to do more on Monday.

#13 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:04 AM

Here is the info from the website: Oro de Calabaza – Brewed in the Franco-Belgian tradition of strong golden ales. Spicy and peppery with a gentle hop bouquet and the beguiling influence of wild yeast. Year round production8% Alc./Vol.It took Gold in 2004 and Bronze in 2005 at GABF in Belgian & French ale.It only claims 'wild yeast', but I would guess Brett B and C, and after some time lacto shows up. They ferment in oak, but the effect is pretty subdued. It shares some characteristics with RR Temptation.

#14 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:47 AM

Thanks Drew, and also thanks chefmiller for the recipe. I think I'm going to do the IPA last. Actually two IPAs because a buddy of mine wants some too. So I'll start with the dark saison tomorrow (got a good starter rolling right now). Then do some kind of golden strong (see below). Maybe something else if I can think of a good idea and then finish with the two IPAs. Sounds like a good arc right there!For the golden strong, here are some thoughts. I made one once with a little black pepper in the boil and it was very interesting. So I think I'm going to do that, add some grapefruit zest and maybe lightly oak it.I think I'm going to head out today on a shopping spree to search for inspiration.

#15 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:08 PM

We've got a light belgian ale on draft at the Schlafly Taproom right now that is spiced with lemongrass, ginger and white pepper, at a rate of 2lbs/15bbls, the white pepper is pretty intense, especially with the sulphur our smaller belgians tend to throw off, but it is mellowing.

#16 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:57 AM

Here is the info from the website: Oro de Calabaza – Brewed in the Franco-Belgian tradition of strong golden ales. Spicy and peppery with a gentle hop bouquet and the beguiling influence of wild yeast. Year round production8% Alc./Vol.It took Gold in 2004 and Bronze in 2005 at GABF in Belgian & French ale.It only claims 'wild yeast', but I would guess Brett B and C, and after some time lacto shows up. They ferment in oak, but the effect is pretty subdued. It shares some characteristics with RR Temptation.

I drank a boatload of this on Saturday at a Barrel Aged BeerFest at a local taproom. One of the best beers at the festival!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users