16 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Gruver

Steve Gruver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Location49112

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:37 AM

Who else makes PBW out of Oxyclean Free and TSP (Phosphate Free)?

#2 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:50 PM

Who else makes PBW out of Oxyclean Free and TSP (Phosphate Free)?

I do :cheers: and it works great. it can take anything I throw at it and make it shiny new looking in no time flat.

#3 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49872 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:34 PM

I have seen TSP at Home Depot right? What is the recipe/ratio between the 2?

#4 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48098 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:47 PM

Phosphate-free "TSP" is actually sodium metasillicate. That's fine, because that's what's in actual PBW in addition to the sodium percarbonate (Oxyclean).I used to make it up and use it, but I've found over time that just the Oxyclean alone works for 95% of stuff, and it's a lot easier.

#5 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:11 PM

Phosphate-free "TSP" is actually sodium metasillicate. That's fine, because that's what's in actual PBW in addition to the sodium percarbonate (Oxyclean).I used to make it up and use it, but I've found over time that just the Oxyclean alone works for 95% of stuff, and it's a lot easier.

Right, if I'm gonna use "home made PBW" I just use plain oxiclean since this mixture isn't exactly PBW anyways. Unless I'm mistaken, OxiClean doesn't include the surfactant/chelating agent. So this 2-component blend is missing the third component of PBW.

#6 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48098 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:27 PM

Right, if I'm gonna use "home made PBW" I just use plain oxiclean since this mixture isn't exactly PBW anyways. Unless I'm mistaken, OxiClean doesn't include the surfactant/chelating agent. So this 2-component blend is missing the third component of PBW.

The blue stuff in traditional Oxyclean is supposed to be a surfactant.Just sayin' (I use the Free Oxy myself.)

#7 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:11 PM

The blue stuff in traditional Oxyclean is supposed to be a surfactant.Just sayin' (I use the Free Oxy myself.)

Ah, there you go. For some reason I thought they were fragrance balls or whatever. Just looked this up on oxiclean.com and they say "The blue crystals in OxiClean® Versatile Stain Remover are soil-dispersing agents. This helps remove soil & stains more easily."

#8 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68763 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:22 PM

I use Sun Brand Oxy Clean generic, 1/2 the price of Ox-Clean

#9 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9738 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:36 PM

I use Sun Brand Oxy Clean generic, 1/2 the price of Ox-Clean

+1 my cheap brotha

#10 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68763 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:47 PM

+1 my cheap brotha

spend more on beer that way :huh:

#11 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9179 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:46 AM

I mix it up like many of you also.

Unless I'm mistaken, OxiClean doesn't include the surfactant/chelating agent. So this 2-component blend is missing the third component of PBW.

I think this is the PTFE stripping agent.

#12 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:54 AM

50lbs PBW = $125, $2.50 per pound. Worth it. How cheap is oxy anyway?

#13 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25678 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:20 PM

PBW will strip the Teflon off a pan. I do not know of any Oxyclean or Oxyclean/TSP that can do that.So the substitutes might be close, perhaps close enough for most homebrewer's applications.I have had bad experience with using Oxyclean leaving a white dusty film on glass.The substitutes products might 1/2, 1/4 the cost. I use PBW in such small quantities, saving 1/2 or 1/4 off $0.50 PBW isn't worth the hassle.Then again, I am a right tool for the job kind of guy. PBW in my homebrew rig, Oxyclean in the washer.

#14 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31559 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:29 PM

PBW will strip the Teflon off a pan. I do not know of any Oxyclean or Oxyclean/TSP that can do that.So the substitutes might be close, perhaps close enough for most homebrewer's applications.I have had bad experience with using Oxyclean leaving a white dusty film on glass.The substitutes products might 1/2, 1/4 the cost. I use PBW in such small quantities, saving 1/2 or 1/4 off $0.50 PBW isn't worth the hassle.Then again, I am a right tool for the job kind of guy. PBW in my homebrew rig, Oxyclean in the washer.

I know what you mean, Oxy seems to have this slimy feel to it that is kind of hard to rinse off. I don't know yet if I want to use it in my brewing equipment.

#15 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10760 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:55 PM

50lbs PBW = $125, $2.50 per pound. Worth it. How cheap is oxy anyway?

50 lbs, is that a lifetime supply for the typical home brewers?

#16 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68763 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

generic oxy is 4 bucks for a 10 lbs tuband I can't get PBW locally at my LHBS anyway they only carry PLC which is Sodium Metasilicate

#17 Malzig

Malzig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationBOS

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:25 PM

I know what you mean, Oxy seems to have this slimy feel to it that is kind of hard to rinse off. I don't know yet if I want to use it in my brewing equipment.

I think this is just because it is alkaline.

Then again, I am a right tool...

Really, everyone else is going to let this slide? :stabby: (Sorry, man, just kidding.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users