• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 brewskee

brewskee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:27 AM

Its been a while since ive been on here but Ive got a question for you guys. Me and my buddy brewed an IPA which basically turned out to be an APA since our OG was about 1.049. We did primary for about 3 weeks and secondary on dry hop for 3 weeks...the question is this: we plan on having a party on August 28th, so should we just let it sit on the dry hop, or should we keg and carb right now?

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:30 AM

I would taste it and find out. However, my guess is that you probably have nothing else to gain by continuing to dry hop, so I'd vote for carbing it now.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:31 AM

Its been a while since ive been on here but Ive got a question for you guys. Me and my buddy brewed an IPA which basically turned out to be an APA since our OG was about 1.049. We did primary for about 3 weeks and secondary on dry hop for 3 weeks...the question is this: we plan on having a party on August 28th, so should we just let it sit on the dry hop, or should we keg and carb right now?

I'd probably keg it within the next couple of weeks to give the carbonation plenty of time to even out for the party.

#4 brewskee

brewskee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:09 PM

I'd probably keg it within the next couple of weeks to give the carbonation plenty of time to even out for the party.

Alright, so the dry hop doesnt stand to benefit me now since its been in so long?

#5 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:48 PM

Carb it now.Unless you haven't cold conditioned it. If not, get on that ASAP.MolBasser

#6 brewskee

brewskee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:42 AM

Carb it now.Unless you haven't cold conditioned it. If not, get on that ASAP.MolBasser

Cold condition meaning throw it in the freezer at what temp for how long? Is it really necessary?

#7 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:45 AM

Cold condition meaning throw it in the freezer at what temp for how long? Is it really necessary?

30-50 depending. I go to about 35. Necessary? No. Beneficial? Yes.

#8 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:54 AM

Are you implying that you shouldn't do both at once?

#9 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68763 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:32 PM

yeah, say what?

#10 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:21 PM

yeah, say what?

You can do both at the same time, but homebrewing I prefer to condition the beer before carbing it.But if you are cold conditioning your ales at all, you are doing it wrong.I drop to 32 if possible. More often at around 36 due to my current refrigeration limitations.MolBasser

#11 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68763 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:24 PM

You can do both at the same time, but homebrewing I prefer to condition the beer before carbing it.But if you are cold conditioning your ales at all, you are doing it wrong.I drop to 32 if possible. More often at around 36 due to my current refrigeration limitations.MolBasser

your statement is contradictory to itselfwhy would you not cold condition an ale, then say you do it yourself?

#12 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:46 PM

OK, sort of. Posted Image splain please Lucy. Posted Image

#13 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:42 AM

I have never said that you don't condition an ale, when did I say that?Oh crap, I just read it. It should read "But if you areN'T cold conditioning....."My bad.MolBasser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users