#1 Tankard

Tankard

Comptroller of Secret Identities

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:36 AM

If you are thinking of Megadeth right now, you are my friend. On topic, I kegged my hefeweizen today and I'm expecting good things. I missed the FG by 2 points, but I'm actually glad, because it's fairly dry already. The White Labs Hefeweizen IV (WLP380) produced a beautiful spicy clovey balance with the banana, which is what I was hoping for. This is probably the most complex hefeweizen I've brewed thanks mainly to the yeast choice, and it tastes nice and clean, no noticeable flaws so far. Of course, I won't know for sure until it carbs up and conditions a bit more, but I'm hoping this will erase the memory of my not good schwarzbier.

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:18 AM

If you are thinking of Megadeth right now, you are my friend. On topic, I kegged my hefeweizen today and I'm expecting good things. I missed the FG by 2 points, but I'm actually glad, because it's fairly dry already. The White Labs Hefeweizen IV (WLP380) produced a beautiful spicy clovey balance with the banana, which is what I was hoping for. This is probably the most complex hefeweizen I've brewed thanks mainly to the yeast choice, and it tastes nice and clean, no noticeable flaws so far. Of course, I won't know for sure until it carbs up and conditions a bit more, but I'm hoping this will erase the memory of my not good schwarzbier.

It's all about the yeast in hefs. Enjoy! :cheers:

#3 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:52 AM

It's all about the yeast in hefs. Enjoy! :smilielol:

Hence the name. :cheers:

#4 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:06 AM

It's all about the yeast in hefs. Enjoy! :cheers:

So true, POF+ is a must IMO. I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure that WLP320 American "Hefeweizen" is not POF+, it supposedly came from Zum Uerige originally. It's been awhile since I've personally used that yeast too.

#5 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:14 AM

So true, POF+ is a must IMO. I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure that WLP320 American "Hefeweizen" is not POF+, it supposedly came from Zum Uerige originally. It's been awhile since I've personally used that yeast too.

This is my understanding of 320 also. I've never used it for a weizen but I've used it for an alt and if it's not Uerige's yeast, then it's missing a good chance.

#6 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31559 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:37 AM

I don't allow my hef's to condition too much. I tend to like them pretty young. Just .02 cents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users