• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mead4science

mead4science

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:13 AM

I tried a port at a wine tasting and loved it--unfortunately they only sell the port-making kit. And well, me and my boyfriend are the only port drinkers I know, and 2 cases is a lot of port. Any suggestions for a good inexpensive port to try?

#2 mTizzle

mTizzle

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2397 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:35 PM

I always find Taylor and Dows to be decent standbys. The younger stuff is generally good to drink now and not too expensive.

#3 Spoon

Spoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationLower Alabama

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:15 PM

I like Fonseca Porto Bin No. 27. It is pretty inexpensive and tastes great. Certainly not the best but not bad either,

#4 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:27 PM

The port kits are only 3 gallons not the usual 6 like a wine kit. Don't get me wrong, it is still quite a bit of port but if you like it you'll get through it. I bottle a handful of 750ml's and the rest in 375ml bottles when I make a port wine.As for a good commercial one. Good question. I've found peoples tastes vary wildly as does the quality of ports. Some like ruby ports some like tawny ports. However some wineries can't make a port to save their lives. I suggest trying both and if you find you prefer one then buy that but don't give up on the other style.

#5 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19222 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:32 PM

I tried a port at a wine tasting and loved it--unfortunately they only sell the port-making kit. And well, me and my boyfriend are the only port drinkers I know, and 2 cases is a lot of port. Any suggestions for a good inexpensive port to try?

I have a bottle of 2000 Taylor Fladgate Vintage Port that I'm keeping for my retirement party sometime around 2040.There are three kinds of port: tawny, late-bottled vintage, and vintage.Tawny port is the cheapest, and is usually sold as "Dow's 20-year blah-blah-blah". A bottle of tawny port will keep for 2 or 3 weeks after being opened before you can taste a difference, and the differences will be pretty mild. Tawny ports are usually made of blends of various vintages, and are aged in oak casks until they seem to be a certain age. Dow's 20-year tawny port might not actually be 20 years, but it is blended so that it tastes like a port aged for 20 years in a cask.Vintage port is from grapes all harvested in a single year, fermented, briefly aged in wood, and then put into a glass bottle. They often require many years of aging in glass to mellow out, often 20 or more. The 2000 vintage was unusually big and harsh when young, which is why I think it will be good after 40 years.Late-bottled vintage is a combination of the two styles, and is often the best quality/price ratio. Late-bottled vintage is aged in wood so that it can oxidize and seem older than it is, and then put into glass bottles. Good years of LBV port can be quite good, even though the process is a bit of cheating. Taylor Fladgate 2003 LBV is pretty good, and should be $15 to $20, and will give you an idea of the style of Taylor Fladgate (which I love, but it isn't for everyone). Warre's 2000 LBV should be $20 to $25, and will give you an idea of their style, which is a little mellower than Taylor Fladgate.

#6 robsauce

robsauce

Comptroller of Teh Great Northern Wasteland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:59 PM

+1 to what davelew said. (he forgot ruby port though as another main style though)I'd pick up a tawny and a LBV and give them each a try to see what you prefer. The biggest most widely known port house is Taylor Fladgate. They make great tawny and LBV's (as well as stellar VP). Try to find a Taylor 10 year tawny as a good starting point or pick up the 20year if $$ isn't a huge issue. As far as LBV's go Taylor has their 02 and 03 LBV's available here. If you can get the 03 do it as it was a better year for port out of Portugal. Tawny ports are more golden in color and show predominately caramel, maple syrup, brown sugar, nutty flavours IMO. LBV's are more akin to berry fruit, coffee and chocolate flavours.Wikipedia also has a pretty thorough article to educate yourself on port: https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Port_wine

#7 43hertz

43hertz

Gold Star Recipient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8660 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:29 PM

I can't tell where you're from by looking at your profile, but there is a small niche market of port makers in Washington, Mo that turn out great product.

#8 mead4science

mead4science

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:45 PM

I can't tell where you're from by looking at your profile, but there is a small niche market of port makers in Washington, Mo that turn out great product.

I'm in Northern Ohio. Sorry 43Hertz..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users