#1 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:36 AM

I thought it was gone to rain on me for sure during the boil, so i pulled the recipe up and split my hops and did two inside brews.They should combine nicely,the second 3.5gallons boil had a higher OG.More of my sugars must of dropped to the bottom.Now that im just about done with my second boil it looks like rain for sure.My new sink doesn't fit the adapter for my wort chiller, so i may be looking at another two hour wait until the rain subsides to chill.If i would of just boiled outside i would of been done by now. :frank: I will have beer when im done.Red IPA/all cents. :)

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:11 PM

I thought it was gone to rain on me for sure during the boil, so i pulled the recipe up and split my hops and did two inside brews.They should combine nicely,the second 3.5gallons boil had a higher OG.More of my sugars must of dropped to the bottom.Now that im just about done with my second boil it looks like rain for sure.My new sink doesn't fit the adapter for my wort chiller, so i may be looking at another two hour wait until the rain subsides to chill.If i would of just boiled outside i would of been done by now. :frank: I will have beer when im done.Red IPA/all cents. :)

I know how you feel about weather and timing. Last weekend I brewed 10 gallons of Pale ale out in my garage. When it came time to chill a big old thunderstorm came rolling in. I didn't think holding a metal spoon, in a stock pot of hot liquid and standing in a puddle of water was good with lots of lightning. I waited about 30 mins too to let the weather go by and stay alive. You are right you will have beer as I have now as well. Hope the rest of the time goes well. Sounds like your idea worked good.

#3 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10758 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:35 PM

Hi I'm MMH and I'm an indoor brewer.... I also have the problem where my chiller connection does not fit my kitchen sink. I use a bottling bucket filled with water on the counter and gravity feed with the kettle on the floor and a 5 gallon collection bottle next to it. The real advantage of this is that I can put ice in the bottling bucket to get my wort down to low 60's even in the summer. Give it a try once with just water and your chiller to see how it works and you will have this in your back pocket if ever needed.

#4 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:45 PM

Why I started brewing in the gazebo instead of on the deck.A lateral move of 20 feet has made things quite bearable.

#5 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:20 AM

So you went 2+ hours between the end of the boil and chilling? Let us know if you notice any DMS in your beer.

#6 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19249 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

So you went 2+ hours between the end of the boil and chilling? Let us know if you notice any DMS in your beer.

How did historical brewers get rid of DMS in beer, back when they used coolships to cool their beer?

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64163 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:59 PM

I brew in my basement. I pull a hose in from outside for my water source. If you got a window and a hose, you have a chilling water.

#8 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68763 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:10 PM

How did historical brewers get rid of DMS in beer, back when they used coolships to cool their beer?

I am going to say they didn't worry as much about it as we do today, there are still plenty of DMS heavy lagers out there Moosehead comes to mind

#9 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:20 PM

Coolships actually have a problem with DMS production. In addition to microbiological and uncontrolled oxygen exposure it is one of the reasons why coolships are rarely if ever installed in new breweries.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users