#1 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:44 AM

Anyone done any business with these guys? The Hop Stopper looks intriguing...

#2 Rick

Rick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:49 AM

The Brewing Network reviewed this product a couple years back. The consensus was it was a great product, kept the hop pellets out of the finished beer well and didn't clog.Check their archives for more info.

#3 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:25 AM

The Brewing Network reviewed this product a couple years back. The consensus was it was a great product, kept the hop pellets out of the finished beer well and didn't clog.Check their archives for more info.

I assume it works equally well for whole hops? How about using a pump? Inquiring minds (well, mine at least) want to know!

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:04 PM

why is it so expensive???

#5 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:07 PM

I don't remember where, but I seem to recall someone built one of these? Isn't this the same as a "Hop Taco"?

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:12 PM

I don't remember where, but I seem to recall someone built one of these? Isn't this the same as a "Hop Taco"?

Am I correct in assuming that none of these would work well with pellets?

#7 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:15 PM

Am I correct in assuming that none of these would work well with pellets?

Not sure, Rick (above) said "hop pellets" but I would sure think it would have a hard time keeping pellet material out. The other schmutz in the bottom of the kettle, yeah I can see that not coming through but who knows.

#8 McNuggets

McNuggets

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:16 PM

That style will and won't work with pellets, so to speak. My experience with that style is that if you use a pump to whirlpool as you cool, it will most likely plug with 3+ oz of pellets. I think this especially happens if you use irish moss,etc. For a one pass unit, it will probably do a good, but if you try an extreme IIPA, you may run into issues.

#9 albertv05

albertv05

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:17 PM

I use a screen to filter out pellet hops in a similar fashion but wasn't getting good luck. I added a S.S false bottom to my kette and now I'm running well.Blichmann Engineering is now marketing a product called the HopBlocker. It looks promising.https://www.blichman...hopblocker.html

#10 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:19 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Thanks for the link to the "Hop Taco". Looks like an easy build!

#11 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:56 PM

I made a DIY version. It couldn't handle the break and pellet hops from a 12 gal batch. I tried a couple different screens too. I've seen the commercial one clog but again that was a large batch with a lot of hops. It might work OK with a small and/or extract batch with less hops. Must work for some people or he wouldn't be able to keep selling them.

#12 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:51 PM

Don't bother trying to strain hop pellets out of your wort. It's a fool's errand. There's a reason why the pros whirlpool.

#13 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49863 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:48 AM

I remember from the green board a thread about that product and a few people mentioned that it collapsed. I have the bazooka t screen in my keggle and every time I try to use pellets, I am SOL if I don't whirlpool and siphon. And that is a timekiller so I just use whole hops, which makes selection locally difficult. Ah, the perils of homebrewing...

#14 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:35 AM

I remember from the green board a thread about that product and a few people mentioned that it collapsed. I have the bazooka t screen in my keggle and every time I try to use pellets, I am SOL if I don't whirlpool and siphon. And that is a timekiller so I just use whole hops, which makes selection locally difficult. Ah, the perils of homebrewing...

Conical with dump valve FTW!!!

#15 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:04 AM

So how does everyone with ball valves on their kettles that drain from bottom keep hops and hot break out of their fermenters? Is it as simple as whirlpooling?

#16 McNuggets

McNuggets

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:34 AM

I made a hybrid style. A 9" perforated SS ring (3" high) that is lined with ss screen on the outside, the top is also ss screen. I have a metal SS band around the bottom (ala the blichmann unit) that snaps loose to finish off the wort. I can get every drop out of the kettle that way, and no hops. Works with pellets and whole hops, but extreme amounts of pellets are an issue if you whirlpool excessively. Really slows thing down at the end. The band works like a charm though.

#17 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:06 PM

I've thought about building something along these lines multiple times, and even bought some supplies for it and started one time, but I just came to the realization that hop-free wort isn't worth the trouble for me. I just dump everything into the fermenter, and just let it settle in the fermenter. I still reuse my yeast, and haven't found any issues yet, even without washing the yeast. I do use an immersion chiller though, and my method would definitely not work if I had a plate chiller - probably the main reason why I have not made that jump.

#18 McNuggets

McNuggets

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:13 PM

I love the plate chiller I have, but am planning to upgrade to a convoluted chillzilla thing. Last few time with the pellets I partially plugged it while recirc/chilling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users