#1 robsauce

robsauce

Comptroller of Teh Great Northern Wasteland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:21 PM

Made a batch of HT's blueberry braggot tonight. I added 12.5g of go-ferm to 150mL of 110F water. Then added 10g of 71B when water was just over 100F, gave it a stir and let it sit for 30mins. It's been a while since I've brewed anything and I've never used 71B before but I remember the yeast usually foaming a bit when rehydrated in warm water. Should it have foamed and/or shown any activity during rehydration?

#2 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:25 AM

Just echoing Guest but yes you should see a little foaming but nothing like a beer yeast. During rehydration you might get a 1/4" layer of foam but that's about all I would expect and it's usually a tight foam not big bubbles.

#3 robsauce

robsauce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:01 AM

Just echoing Guest but yes you should see a little foaming but nothing like a beer yeast. During rehydration you might get a 1/4" layer of foam but that's about all I would expect and it's usually a tight foam not big bubbles.

Ahh - good. There was pretty much exactly that, 1/4" or so. It smells like fermentation this morning and had a 1" layer of foam bubbles on top. Giggity :frank: :smilielol: :cheers:

#4 robsauce

robsauce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:44 PM

So, I had nothing at all to worry about =DThe must may have dropped 2 points or so from the time I pitched the yeast at 10pm last night (SG: somewhere around 1.092-1.094) until this morning when I made the above post at 8am (might have been right at 1.090). I just got home from work and walked into my kitchen, where the primary is, and was hit with a huge huge fermentation smell. I open the lid to toss in the hydrometer and thermometer and its fizzing like crazy (picture champagne bubbles x100). Turns out it dropped about 20 points in 9 hours as its currently just above 1.070. Must temp is sitting at 76-78F. Decided to move it to the basement to cool it down a bit. Main floor is likely 68-70F while the basement is closer to 65. Never had anything take off and ferment this quickly. I'm stoked. :frank:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users