#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:37 PM

So, I'm working off a pitch of WLP001 right now. Thus far I have done and APA and dry stout. I have an IIPA, an RIS and possibly an American Brown planned. I'd like to add another lower gravity brew in between the dry stout and IIPA. I'll probably try to steer away from hop bombs since the APA, IIPA, ABA and RIS are all going to be pretty heavily hopped. I'm thinking maybe cream ale or american wheat. Anyone have any session type beers they like to do with 001?

#2 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8253 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

How about a nice mild? Two-row and single hop with Mt Hood or Liberty. They go down pretty easy :cheers:

#3 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:57 PM

I already have a keg of mild conditioning. I don't plan on doing another until I work up a pitch of WLP002 again. Good suggestion though.

#4 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:59 PM

Blonde?

#5 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:25 PM

the American Brown sounds like a winnah!

#6 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:46 PM

Cream ale. Definitely cream ale.

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:48 PM

Cream ale. Definitely cream ale.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I lean towards the cream ale. I think I'll go for it. Never brewed one, so that's a plus.

#8 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:56 PM

How about a Scottish 70/-?

#9 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:34 PM

Any ale. That yeast is so freaking versitile.Best Yeast Eva!*at no point in this post was I influenced by the fact that it is my breweries house yeast*MolBasser

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:43 AM

I use it for MLPA, Home Run Red Ale, Bases Loaded Blonde and I would certainly use it in a Cream Ale, no question. I would also use it in any Pale Ale, Amber Ale and I also use it in my spiced pumpkin ale. Cheers.

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:19 AM

That's an interesting thought as well. The main reason I'm leaning towards the cream ale is that I want to bring whatever I brew on a weekend fishing trip in September. There's a few BMC drinkers, so this will suit them better. I don't think they're going to be drinking the Pliny clone I'm also bringing. More for me. :cheers:

#12 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19206 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:31 AM

Any ale. That yeast is so freaking versitile.Best Yeast Eva!*at no point in this post was I influenced by the fact that it is my breweries house yeast*MolBasser

I disagree. I don't like WLP001 / WY1056 in a mild or very low gravity beer. I like to get more yeasty ale-like flavors in such low-malt beers, and I think 001 is too clean at low temperatures, and too funky (but not in a good Belgian funk way) at high ferment temperatures.

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:34 AM

I disagree. I don't like WLP001 / WY1056 in a mild or very low gravity beer. I like to get more yeasty ale-like flavors in such low-malt beers, and I think 001 is too clean at low temperatures, and too funky (but not in a good Belgian funk way) at high ferment temperatures.

Along those lines, I would hate to see someone make a mild or a Scottish ale and use this yeast. For me, the style depends on the yeast and I think that the yeast brings a very large piece of the flavor profile with it. I wouldn't want to make an English Bitter without using one of the great English ale strains of yeast. Belgians are what they are because of the yeast, primarily. I like WLP001 or 1056 for just about any American ale style including the ones I listed in my last post but I think a Scottish or a mild would end up being different...not necessarily bad, but different than they would ordinarily be with 1728 (Scottish) or an English yeast for the mild.

#14 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:18 AM

Alt

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54043 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:24 PM

Alt

That's another one where 1007 or the White Labs equivalent (029 or 036?) would be good to use. I'm sure that the WLP001 would make a great beer, but I think it would be less Alt-like without the alt yeast.

#16 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:28 PM

Too clean I think.

#17 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:32 PM

Too clean I think.

I just brewed a Scottish 70 using this yeast. I took Jamil's recommendation from his podcast and book (Brewing Classic Styles). He claimed that 001 yeast in the Scottish was his "secret" to winning in this category as many times as he did. I guess he claims that Chico yeast allows you to really taste the malt in this style, not necessarily the yeast esters.

#18 Malzig

Malzig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationBOS

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:27 PM

I just brewed a Scottish 70 using this yeast. I took Jamil's recommendation from his podcast and book (Brewing Classic Styles). He claimed that 001 yeast in the Scottish was his "secret" to winning in this category as many times as he did. I guess he claims that Chico yeast allows you to really taste the malt in this style, not necessarily the yeast esters.

I don't know what this specific recipe is like, but assuming it's like the one on BeerDuJour, I think it is probably aimed more at winning contests than brewing a true representation of the style. Jamil has said that, if you tried to brew an authentic Scottish Ale and enter it in a competition, you would probably get trounced by beers that were made with a lot of Crystal Malt. It's probably a delicious beer, though.I'm never sure what to do with WLP001, either. I just don't make many beers that weren't better with a more interesting yeast. Certainly I would keep it away from anything approaching authentically British. I still have nightmares about that characterless Sierra Nevada ESB, which I assume was made with WLP001Those are probably just the qualities that you want for a Cream Ale, though, and it is the classic Cream Ale yeast.

#19 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:33 PM

I have used US-05 many many times to make cream ales, and they come out well. I actually don't like the style too much, but friends can't seem to get enough of it, and is generally the most popular beer on the jockey box when I bring it around. I think it would suit your friends well.

#20 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:35 PM

That's why I say it's too clean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users