#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64188 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:48 PM

So I transferred my APA into kegs after primary, as usual, but this time I was dryhopping in the keg rather than just chilling and carbing. So, now I have 2 oz. of pellet hops in each keg, naked. This is the first time I've dryhopped naked, sans hop bag. Now, how do I get the hops separated from the beer? I figure if I try to push it out the liquid side the hop matter will clog up the disconnect and either way the hops are going to come through to the next vessel. Should I siphon (ugh) through some kind of filtration media? I don't know, has anyone done this? Maybe I can just leave them in there?

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:01 PM

So I transferred my APA into kegs after primary, as usual, but this time I was dryhopping in the keg rather than just chilling and carbing. So, now I have 2 oz. of pellet hops in each keg, naked. This is the first time I've dryhopped naked, sans hop bag. Now, how do I get the hops separated from the beer? I figure if I try to push it out the liquid side the hop matter will clog up the disconnect and either way the hops are going to come through to the next vessel. Should I siphon (ugh) through some kind of filtration media? I don't know, has anyone done this? Maybe I can just leave them in there?

I'd get some kind of screen (maybe a sanitized mesh bag?) onto the end of the dip tube and then either jump it to another keg or leave it as is and enjoy the hoppy goodness as long as you want.

#3 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68768 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:51 PM

huh, never done that before, naked hops in glass secondary yes, in that case i would carefully rack off the top of the settled pellets

#4 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10761 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:50 PM

Yes I think the autosiphon does a nice job with this. It will sit on top of the hop smutz and it should rack over fairly clear. Anything that does come over should come out with the first pint drawn.I normally dry hop in the primary carboy, but I have done it in kegs before like are doing.

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:04 PM

I'd get some kind of screen (maybe a sanitized mesh bag?) onto the end of the dip tube and then either jump it to another keg or leave it as is and enjoy the hoppy goodness as long as you want.

+1. If you are carbing up your beer then I would suggest getting a Sure Screen that will fit the end of the liquid diptube. That will block the hops from entering and clogging the liquid disconnect and stop the flow of beer. I dry hopped an English Pale with 4oz of hops and paid the price on that one too.

Yes I think the autosiphon does a nice job with this. It will sit on top of the hop smutz and it should rack over fairly clear. Anything that does come over should come out with the first pint drawn.I normally dry hop in the primary carboy, but I have done it in kegs before like are doing.

This suggestion works fine as long as you are not carbing up your beer. If you carb it up don't even try to transfer with the autosiphon. It will foam up like crazy. I tried that with the beer I described above and it was a mess.Again I would say Sure Screen.

#6 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:43 PM

huh, never done that before, naked hops in glass secondary yes, in that case i would carefully rack off the top of the settled pellets

This is what I would do too. You can't leave them in there. They'll get in your beer for sure and may gunk up your poppets and/or faucets.

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64188 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:57 PM

Sounds like racking may be the preferred method. I'm not carbing the beer while it's dryhopping, so foaming shouldn't be an issue. I suppose I could also pull one of the dip tubes and cut off an inch or so. I've been considering converting two of my kegs to bright tanks where I could dry hop and/or gel and carb, then transfer the clear beer to clean kegs. Now might be the time to do it.

#8 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68768 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:08 PM

Sounds like racking may be the preferred method. I'm not carbing the beer while it's dryhopping, so foaming shouldn't be an issue. I suppose I could also pull one of the dip tubes and cut off an inch or so. I've been considering converting two of my kegs to bright tanks where I could dry hop and/or gel and carb, then transfer the clear beer to clean kegs. Now might be the time to do it.

hmmm, sounds like a winnah!I scored a couple of extra diptubes and am going to experiment with shorter tubes to make Bright Tanks soon as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users