16 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:30 AM

My brother will be there and was wondering if there are any local brew pubs or local beers that he should make sure that he tries. Let me have it! :)

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:39 AM

My brother will be there and was wondering if there are any local brew pubs or local beers that he should make sure that he tries. Let me have it! :)

Never been to Seattle but this sounds like a question like asking a kid to pick only one piece of candy in a candy store. My impression is there will be many many great choices. Wish I could give suggestions but its definitely somewhere I wanna visit and go too. Look forward to hearing the local suggestions.

#3 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:21 AM

In any decent bar you're likely to find a local kegs only operation from Redmond called Mack & Jack's, they made (still make?) only one beer called African Amber, it's a good American Amber Ale. I like Elysian, they have a couple of locations, but I like the one up on Cap Hill, I love their Jasmine IPA, but they make a lot of good beers. Pike Place Brewery is right there in Pike Place Market, so good tourist location. I used to live just a couple blocks from there (actually I also lived down the street from Elysian for awhile). I like the Kilt Lifter from Pike, but it's been a long time since I've been there. I remember their fish & chips were really good. I probably have more to say on the subject, but I gotta run to the laundromat and get my laundry. Oh yeah, out in Woodinville is Redhook if he's into a brewery tour. It's also been about 7 years since I lived out there, so... things change, and I bet there are some new spots I don't even know about.

#4 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68763 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:32 AM

In any decent bar you're likely to find a local kegs only operation from Redmond called Mack & Jack's, they made (still make?) only one beer called African Amber, it's a good American Amber Ale. I like Elysian, they have a couple of locations, but I like the one up on Cap Hill, I love their Jasmine IPA, but they make a lot of good beers. Pike Place Brewery is right there in Pike Place Market, so good tourist location. I used to live just a couple blocks from there (actually I also lived down the street from Elysian for awhile). I like the Kilt Lifter from Pike, but it's been a long time since I've been there. I remember their fish & chips were really good. I probably have more to say on the subject, but I gotta run to the laundromat and get my laundry. Oh yeah, out in Woodinville is Redhook if he's into a brewery tour. It's also been about 7 years since I lived out there, so... things change, and I bet there are some new spots I don't even know about.

they still make Mac & Jacks, damned good stuff, and Don't Forget Hales.

#5 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:43 AM

Mac & Jack's is the brewery, correct? And African Amber the beer. But they get called the same thing because Mac & Jack's never made anything else. Well, when I lived there they kept talking about making another beer before bottling, but I never heard of them doing either.

#6 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26205 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:49 AM

Mac & Jack's is the brewery, correct? And African Amber the beer. But they get called the same thing because Mac & Jack's never made anything else. Well, when I lived there they kept talking about making another beer before bottling, but I never heard of them doing either.

They make other beers now.Have him print out This and go wild.

#7 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68763 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:56 AM

I am sure you are correctoh don't forget Georgetown breweryhell now I wanna go to Seattle, lol, Spokane's brewpub scene is pretty pedestrian

#8 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:05 AM

They make other beers now.Have him print out This and go wild.

Nice, me and my friend put back serious amounts of African Amber back in the day. I'd like to try their new stuff at some point.Another mapping site that works for most cities I think...https://beermapping....s.php?m=seattle

#9 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26205 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:08 AM

Nice, me and my friend put back serious amounts of African Amber back in the day. I'd like to try their new stuff at some point.Another mapping site that works for most cities I think...https://beermapping....s.php?m=seattle

In addition to the amber, they now have a wheat, porter, and IPAthe map I posted was created by the wa homebrews association.

#10 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:24 PM

bumpage.

#11 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:29 PM

Brouwer's Cafe.

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:09 PM

Brouwer's Cafe.

I've added it to the suggestion list. Thanks!

#13 brewguy

brewguy

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4410 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:26 PM

Brouwer's Cafe.

If they hit Brouwer's, they can take in the Fremont scene (lenin, troll, gasworks). Hale's is close by. Check ahead and see if they are doing a cask night at Hale's. From Fremont they could bike the Burke Gilman Trail over to Redhook (need about 4 to 5 leisurely hours). They have a decent tour. Lots of beer samples but don't expect a personal one-on-one with a brewer.I did a quick check for beer festivals, but there isn't anything up in Seattle. All the action is down in PDX with OBF this weekend.Elysian and Pyramid can be fun on gameday. Both are within walking distance of Safeco (or Qwest if the Sounders are in town).Looking at the beermap that was posted earlier, I'm surprised at all of the new breweries popping up. I would check one of those out, but I can't give any recommendations. Taking a scenic drive out of town to Snoqualmie Falls brewery wouldn't be bad either.

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:18 PM

If they hit Brouwer's, they can take in the Fremont scene (lenin, troll, gasworks). Hale's is close by. Check ahead and see if they are doing a cask night at Hale's. From Fremont they could bike the Burke Gilman Trail over to Redhook (need about 4 to 5 leisurely hours). They have a decent tour. Lots of beer samples but don't expect a personal one-on-one with a brewer.I did a quick check for beer festivals, but there isn't anything up in Seattle. All the action is down in PDX with OBF this weekend.Elysian and Pyramid can be fun on gameday. Both are within walking distance of Safeco (or Qwest if the Sounders are in town).Looking at the beermap that was posted earlier, I'm surprised at all of the new breweries popping up. I would check one of those out, but I can't give any recommendations. Taking a scenic drive out of town to Snoqualmie Falls brewery wouldn't be bad either.

we actually have redhook right here in NH (their other brewery location). good suggestions though :frank:ETA: thanks for checking on the festivals but I know they aren't going this weekend but I'm not sure exactly when...

#15 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26205 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:38 PM

Brouwer's Cafe.

Great place, but he will need a car to get out there. If he doesn't have a car Collin's pub and the stumbling monk are great beer bars that are easy to get to. Collin's is just up from pioneer square on 2nd which is real close to pike place market. The stumbling monk is a bit of a walk, but you can catch a bus up olive way really easily.

#16 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26205 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:42 AM

I was thinking about this while ironing this morning, and ncbeerbrewer's post pretty much sums up the beer scene in these parts. Most bars will only have 1-2 macro taps (if that) and all the bars will have a slightly different selection. There is a ton of good beer up here if you like hops. We don't have many German or English style beers in the area, but then again you don't go to Munich and order an IPA. Most the publicans I've come in contact with since moving up here are well educated about beer. Tell him to talk to the bar keep, let them know he's from out of state, and ask for a suggestion. 9.99/10 times it will be local and it will be good. That's just how we roll out here.

#17 northbound

northbound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationBellaire, MI

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:11 PM

Duck Island on Aurora.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users