#1 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:13 AM

I keep getting delays when I call the retailers.next weeknext weeknext weeknext week...Sometime in May, we're not sure.Turns out that MD has had a distributor shake-up, or so I've been told."The future is unclear" says the Magic 8 Ball ™So who has actually seen the 2009 Long Shot 6 packs in the stores?Inquiring palates what to know!

#2 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:44 AM

The highlight of this release is McDole's Double IPA. It's freaking amazing! The Bock is okay I guess but I'm not a Bock fan so it didn't do much for me. It was very plum-like and I felt like I was chewing it going down. The Cranberry Wit is barely drinkable...a 21 year-old sorority girl would like it!

#3 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:51 AM

Yea, I've heard the midwest area had the release.Thanks for the eval on the brews.Still hoping that one day it will be worth buying a case.

#4 MAZ

MAZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:22 AM

Since I'm in the Midwest, I can't answer you original question, but I have tried all three beers and pretty much agree with Chad's assessment. It's worth buying a sixer though, for the DIPA and Bock alone. The Bock is very good IMO. The "Cranberry Wit" is very bland and tastes oxidized to me.

#5 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:57 AM

Thanks MAZ,I figured I was in for a sixer, not sure if I would want a whole case.Tasty's IPA is the jewel here from what I've heard.So, has anybody on the east coast see it in stores yet?

#6 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationGhost of Jobs Planet

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:55 PM

Yes, I bought some near Balmer, Merlin, Hon 2 weeks ago at the new liquor store near Arundel Mills (the one near the 295/100 circle, not in the strip mall by the safeway)

#7 Dude

Dude

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:50 PM

I picked it up in North Carolina over the weekend. Not sure if Virginia has it yet.

#8 Malzig

Malzig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationBOS

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:56 PM

I got one last weekend. I think the Bock is very nice. Malty, complex, good body, but not syrupy like their Oktoberfest. I'd probably buy this regularly if I could.The IIPA isn't bad, by any means, but I guess I got a little too hyped up over it and the opportunity to taste the mythical (on the East Coast) Pliny. I thought the hop flavor was a bit nondescript for a double IPA, but still a fine beer. I'd be more than happy to drink one if you handed it to me, but I wouldn't cross state lines to track it down.I don't know why they insist on including a fruit beer in these. They're probably not selling a lot of Longshot packs to the fruit beer crowd. But, unlike the Cherry Wheat, it was drinkable; mostly because they didn't go overboard with the fruit extract bottle. I'd never buy another one, though.

#9 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11681 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:23 PM

Picked up a pack 3 weeks ago in Northampton, MA. The IIPA reminded me of hop 15 if you've had that. I couldn't name anything to improve upon on the bock.

#10 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:16 PM

They had about a skid's worth on display in my LHBS / liquor store / bottle shop today.

#11 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationGhost of Jobs Planet

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:42 PM

IIPA probably doesn't travel well. From what I've heard its close/better then Pliney. I've had Pliney at the OBF, that was no Pliney. It was good, just not hoptacular. The Bock was good as well. I get the feeling that Sam Adams has a long supply chain.

#12 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:31 AM

They had about a skid's worth on display in my LHBS / liquor store / bottle shop today.

I was out in Sandusky last weekend. On the way back stopped in Cleveland at two stores. Neither had them. But all the SA they had was Boston Lager, so that's not saying much.For those familiar with the Baltimore areaFour Corners (way OUT NE)Beltway LiquorsWell's LiquorsThe Perfect Pour (way out SW)All know NOTHING about when it is coming out. I swear it's like this every year!I'm betting this is a distributor problem.Thanks for all the input guys. :cheers:

#13 Mexas Joe

Mexas Joe

Obama Thanker

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22502 posts
  • LocationIt's OK to be White

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:05 PM

Is this the Imperial Series? I have seen 3 styles so bar....Bock, Wit, and Stout. I have not bought any yet as I'm a skinflint and 10 bucks for a 4 pack is more than I want to pay. I would rather pay that same 10 bucks for a sixer of say Stone IPA. Two more brews for the same price.

#14 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29302 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:34 PM

I'm betting this is a distributor problem.

Bond Distributing Co.1220 Bernard Dr.Baltimore, MD 21223 410-945-5600

#15 Fatman

Fatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationWest Chester, PA

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:28 PM

Total Wines and More in Claymont, DE (just of 95 south of the PA border) has 4 cases left. Well, make that 3 cases....And they just started stocking Great Divide beers...

#16 scootertig

scootertig

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationLeesburg, VA

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:42 PM

A friend of mine grabbed a few singles (IIPA and Imperial Stout) at Total Wine in Sterling, VA just the other day. They were both tasty, although I don't think I'd drink more than a bottle of the stout... That's a good one to share.aaron

#17 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:54 AM

Bond Distributing Co.1220 Bernard Dr.Baltimore, MD 21223 410-945-5600

I gave them a shout. Thanks for the info SP.Turns out it just came in, but not all retailers are carrying it.My closest two as of an hour ago still have no clue.Lookin' forward to Tasty's IIPA!

#18 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:20 PM

Update for those in the Balmer area.Perfect Pour has a fair quantity in stock.FINALLY! Glad to be of service :)

#19 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:52 AM

Well, finally I cracked three of them last night.I've gotta say:For the first time in this comp, there isn't a dog in the pack.Cranberry Wit. The usual fufu chick beer mandated by some obscure SA regs. The cranberry was just the right level. Less and you wouldn't have noticed it. More and it would dominate. Not bad, I can see downing several of these when the temps get hot.Traditional Bock. My bottle was a bit under carbed. A bit lacking in the malt nose and flavor, but a pretty fair beer.Double IPA. Obviously dry hopped, but just not really enough bitterness, It was there, but the sharp edge was missing. Nicely done, good aroma, mouth feel and the BU/GU ratio I was expecting. I wonder what this beer would do with some aging?

#20 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:59 AM

Available on the West Coast in many BevMo's. I picked up a pack for me and one for a buddy the other day. May try them tonight!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users