#1 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:37 PM

I don't have an LHBS so when I am about the country I search them out. I have also been too chicken to order yeast online in this summer heat and decided that this was my best chance to score some American Ale yeast. I went to the HBS is Norfolk, VA and found that their S05 was about $3.80. I went ahead and went with liquid yeast since I figured I'd repitch three for four times. At these prices I sure do miss winter when I can mail order yeast and get it at a third of the price.

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:47 PM

I ordered some Wyeast propagator packs from Midwest for $4.50 plus shipping. I use propagator packs when they're available since I always make starters with either the propagator or activator. ETA - I've never had a problem with yeast shipped in the summer - no cold packs either

Edited by dj in kc, 13 July 2010 - 01:48 PM.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:02 PM

I ordered some Wyeast propagator packs from Midwest for $4.50 plus shipping. I use propagator packs when they're available since I always make starters with either the propagator or activator. ETA - I've never had a problem with yeast shipped in the summer - no cold packs either

I've been buying the activators locally for about $8. I may start ordering online though...

#4 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:08 PM

I can get Wyeast for about $7.50 and Safale for about $3.50.I have no issues with repitching the dry stuff.

#5 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:21 PM

Damn.$2.70 for US05 and $7 for Wyeast Activators or White labs tubes around here at the LHBS.And I still repitch any liquid yeast at least 3 times :)

#6 Given2fly

Given2fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:23 PM

ETA - I've never had a problem with yeast shipped in the summer - no cold packs either

ditto at least not with fresh yeast

#7 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:28 PM

ditto at least not with fresh yeast

I pitched a packet of US56 into an APA this past January. Fermentation started right up. That packet was at least 4 years old and moved cross country with me.

#8 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:14 PM

FWIW I recently had some yeast that I was concerned about reusing anymore. Number of uses and ETOH levels. I harvested a little and pitched it in a starter - had a nice new slurry. First fermentation was fine and the beer tasted good going into kegs yesterday. Of course I reharvested about 2/3 qt of nice light colored yeast that smelled as good as yeast can.

#9 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68767 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:32 PM

locally $7.95 for Whitelabs

#10 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:26 PM

I have no issues with repitching the dry stuff.

I repitch dry yeast also.I pay $3.50 for safale yeast,and i beleive around $6 for liquid white lab stuff.LHBS doesn't sell the wyeast.

#11 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:04 PM

You guys make me feel good. I pay $6.15 for activator packs and don't get White Labs locally. I always repitch at least twice but most of the time 3-5. Summer around here is way too hot to consider ordering online.

#12 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:56 PM

I repitch and save slurries from every batch. I figure even if it gets too old, I can make a new starter, and be good. I have also started to take note of the generation and the date harvested so I can have a better idea of the health of the yeast.

#13 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9738 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:57 PM

This is one of the reasons I have pretty much everything for yeast ranching. After I move and get the brewery back up and running, I will be starting the plates and slants.

#14 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:25 PM

I don't see any problem with shipping yeast in the summer. I would say that as long as you do a starter, something will survive. And at that price, you might as well buy a couple from Northern Brewer and get that flat rate shipping.

#15 mach5

mach5

Helibottle Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationColumbia, PA

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:27 AM

White labs tubes are around $7 and dry yeast is around $2.

#16 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64184 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:33 AM

I pay $7 or $8 for the White Labs vials. I can't remember exactly. Since I've started repitching and/or slanting, I don't worry so much about it. I've done some slanting, but I think I'm going to go back to just buying the vials. I make four or five batches from one vial of yeast. The time and effort to maintain slants isn't enough for me to justify saving <$2/batch.

#17 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48102 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:42 AM

I always repitch dry yeast. Never think twice about it. I currently have an S-05 fermenting it's third beer, and an S-04 in the jar ready for it's third.

#18 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:52 AM

I always repitch dry yeast. Never think twice about it. I currently have an S-05 fermenting it's third beer, and an S-04 in the jar ready for it's third.

do you make starters when you repitch it?

#19 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48102 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:06 AM

do you make starters when you repitch it?

Not usually. I will collect about 24 oz of thick slurry and rinse it with bottled water for storage which usually gives me about 8 oz of pure yeast cake after settling. (I have very, very little cold break in my fermentors.) If I re-use within 14 days or (21 at the outside) I will pour off the low beer on top and resuspend with new bottled water to pitch. In the past when dried was $2, I would rarely take the trouble to re-use if I had to wait past 14 days. With $4 yeast, I've been stretching that to 21 without any trouble yet. (Only 3 brews worth of 'data' on that so far, though.) Beyond 3 weeks, I would probably make a starter.You can judge by color, too, if the beer is not too dark and/or the yeast has been rinsed well. Fresh yeast is a color similar to tahini and gets darker as it ages. Hummus-colored is still just fine, but once it starts into peanut butter colors it's time to make a starter. Also, always sniff for autolysis smells before pitching.

#20 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68767 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

I wanted to buy some of the new pre packed 34/70 from SAF, $6.00 for 12 grams so to get the 24 grams for a 5 gallon lager pitch would be $12.No thanks I gladly paid the $7.95 for the WLP 830 and did a starter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users