#1 shmgeggie

shmgeggie

Comptroller of Mythical Creatures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9205 posts
  • LocationPort Orchard, WA

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:23 PM

I still haven't turned my mini-fridge into a real kegerator, so I just have cobra taps. I've notice that one of my taps causes the beer to foam up a little more than the other. Upon closer inspection, a little air gets into the line when it's not in use, and that is what's causing the beer to foam up. Do the seals on these things wear out or something? Do I just need to replace the bad one, or is there some kind of maintenance required?

#2 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68768 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:48 PM

I still haven't turned my mini-fridge into a real kegerator, so I just have cobra taps. I've notice that one of my taps causes the beer to foam up a little more than the other. Upon closer inspection, a little air gets into the line when it's not in use, and that is what's causing the beer to foam up. Do the seals on these things wear out or something? Do I just need to replace the bad one, or is there some kind of maintenance required?

have you unscrewed the top and cleaned the gunk out of it lately? :smilielol:

#3 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:03 PM

It sounds to me like that particular beer is somewhat overcarbonated, and the gas is coming out of solution in that line.An easy way to check whether it is the line/tap or the keg, is to swap a line that you know is good, and put it on the keg that is pouring foamy right now. If it pours well, then you need to give that line and tap a good cleaning. If the keg still pours foamy, then you may need to release some pressure from the keg.What has also happened to me, is some hop debris gets into the keg and into the liquid tube or stuck at the poppet. When this happened, it caused tremendous foam when pouring. So if it is the keg, you can also depressurize the keg, make sure the liquid dip tube and the post/poppet are all clean, and repressurize to see if that helps reduce the foaming.

#4 shmgeggie

shmgeggie

Comptroller of Mythical Creatures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9205 posts
  • LocationPort Orchard, WA

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:06 PM

It sounds to me like that particular beer is somewhat overcarbonated, and the gas is coming out of solution in that line.An easy way to check whether it is the line/tap or the keg, is to swap a line that you know is good, and put it on the keg that is pouring foamy right now. If it pours well, then you need to give that line and tap a good cleaning. If the keg still pours foamy, then you may need to release some pressure from the keg.What has also happened to me, is some hop debris gets into the keg and into the liquid tube or stuck at the poppet. When this happened, it caused tremendous foam when pouring. So if it is the keg, you can also depressurize the keg, make sure the liquid dip tube and the post/poppet are all clean, and repressurize to see if that helps reduce the foaming.

Both kegs have been at the same pressure for a long time. I pretty much take a "set it and forget it" approach to the regulator. They're just connected to the regulator with a "T" connector, so they have to be carbonated the same.I did notice that the connection between the hose and the tap seemed a little loose, so I snugged it up a bit. I'll see if that works. I might even try a hose-clamp, even though I haven't needed one before. Air is definitely getting into the line from the tap end. I can see the bubbles form right after the pour. And I'm not talking about a huge amount of foaming, just a bit of a rough start to the pour compared to the other tap.Mic: Yeah, I discovered about a year ago that you can take them apart. :smilielol: As I recall, you can get a brush in to clean out the lines by just taking the tap apart.

Edited by shmgeggie, 12 July 2010 - 10:10 PM.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:57 AM

Both kegs have been at the same pressure for a long time. I pretty much take a "set it and forget it" approach to the regulator. They're just connected to the regulator with a "T" connector, so they have to be carbonated the same.I did notice that the connection between the hose and the tap seemed a little loose, so I snugged it up a bit. I'll see if that works. I might even try a hose-clamp, even though I haven't needed one before. Air is definitely getting into the line from the tap end. I can see the bubbles form right after the pour. And I'm not talking about a huge amount of foaming, just a bit of a rough start to the pour compared to the other tap.Mic: Yeah, I discovered about a year ago that you can take them apart. :smilielol: As I recall, you can get a brush in to clean out the lines by just taking the tap apart.

wait - you are using a brush on your vinyl beer lines? I wouldn't do that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users