#1 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:15 PM

Coming from the mead side of the sport and having recently returned brewing, some queries about the use of oak - specifically cubes - in beer. Mead and oak (American, Hungarian or French) are a match made in heaven. Am getting ready to brew what is touted as a Belgian triple (OG 1.080+/-) and got to wondering if an oak addition would help or hurt the finished product. Typically add 1 ounce medium toasted American oak in secondary after steaming to flush any nasties. Does this work in beer? If so, what are the proper quantities for a 5 gal. batch, how long should it remain in secondary, etc. If there is another thread on this just point me to it, I couldn't find much recently on this. Thanks in advance.

#2 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:10 PM

I think there is nothing wrong with the process you describe...but my opinion would be to not use oak in a tripple. I just can't see it working very well. That said, If oak is your thing then I would start with about an ounce and just taste it until you like the flavor. I can also see using about .5 -.75 oz oak. It seems that the long beer sits on the cubes, the more complex flavors it develops. And the less oak you use, the longer the beer can sit on the oak without it becoming over powered.Like I said, taste is the only way to tell how long, but it can be anywhere from a few days to a few months, depending on how much you use and how oaky you want the final product to be. Hope this helps!

Edited by jayb151, 12 July 2010 - 02:12 PM.

#3 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49872 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:11 PM

I don't see why oak wouldn't be ok in it. I would stick to a very light toast and French with limited exposure time. Tripels tend to be quite delicate by nature (other than the ABV) and the oak could easily overpower the subtleties quickly. 1 oz sounds reasonable for quantity.

#4 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:07 PM

Definitely start with 1oz or less for 5 gallons, especially with something as delicate as a tripel. I also wouldn't do american oak, either french or hungarian should be good though. Working with cubes is a good way to go. My policy on oaking is to oak a small amount for the life of the keg. This way I don't have to worry about racking it off or worrying about the beer being overly oaked. This works for my beers as well as my meads.

#5 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9738 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:18 AM

I like love oaked beers. I love tripel. I too am having a time wrapping my head around an oaked tripel. I would use a light hand and go easy. It might be good, but regardless report back.

#6 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:49 AM

If you can get Allagash Curieux in your area, it is a bourbon barrel aged Tripel, and is fantastic.I have done bouron oak Tripels and simply oaked my Palm Sugar Rye Tripel fairly recently, both turned out amazing.Go for it! :smilielol:

#7 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:20 AM

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll chew on this one a while. Just rediscovered some oak cubes that have been soaking in Cointreau for about a year and another lot that has been in rye whiskey for even longer so I'll have to come up with something one of these days.

Edited by armagh, 13 July 2010 - 06:21 AM.

#8 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:22 AM

There is a great episode on the brewing network sunday session where they discuss the different types of oak, toast levels and the resulting flavor profile. I'd check it out. Search for the one with Shea Comfort.

#9 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:07 AM

Just rediscovered some oak cubes that have been soaking ... in rye whiskey

See, now that should work great! Most likely, the whiskey has soaked up any harsh oak flavors from the cubes. Those should be ready to rock too; just throw them in! I would still start with the same amount of oak and taste as it goes. I would feel much more confident using those cubes, but I'd try not to get much of the liquid in the beer.

#10 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:34 AM

See, now that should work great! Most likely, the whiskey has soaked up any harsh oak flavors from the cubes. Those should be ready to rock too; just throw them in! I would still start with the same amount of oak and taste as it goes. I would feel much more confident using those cubes, but I'd try not to get much of the liquid in the beer.

I'll shake them through a strainer first to get rid of excess spirits.

#11 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:56 AM

If you can get Allagash Curieux in your area, it is a bourbon barrel aged Tripel, and is fantastic.

Curieux is some truly unique beer. It has more in common with a good scotch than it does a belgian tripel. One of the only beers that can hold up to a cigar IMO. Amazing stuff! :smilielol:

#12 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49872 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:09 PM

I kinda like the idea of the cointreau for a tripel. A lot of classic examples (Karmeliet comes to mind) have a creamy orange kind of character that a light smokey oak thing could complement nicely.

#13 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:24 PM

I kinda like the idea of the cointreau for a tripel. A lot of classic examples (Karmeliet comes to mind) have a creamy orange kind of character that a light smokey oak thing could complement nicely.

I like this idea myself. I tried to do a similar thing using sweet orange peel and it just didn't work out. Beer was still drinkable but wasn't one of my best. I have to admit I'm intrigued by the idea of oak soaked in Cointreau.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users