#1 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:39 PM

I've seen some of you here with stainless schrader valves, but I can't seem to find them. I don't want the regular rubber ones designed for tires, as I don't think I would want that touching my beer, or being close to my beer.I am thinking of making some of those cheap carbonating caps, as well as possibly giving closed transfers a try again using these valves. Any affordable sources?

#2 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:34 PM

https://www.mcmaster...-valves/=7xlocl

#3 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 12 July 2010 - 02:57 PM

ouch, 38 dollars for the cheapest stainless valve.

#4 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:17 PM

The hex may not fit in the cap on those s/s ones. Typically these are used for short-term storage. If you can find brass ones at the auto store, you should be ok. If its for longer storage, you may want to consider investing in the Carbnator caps @ $16-18 each.

#5 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:17 PM

I am also thinking of a way to use these to pressurize my fermenters (buckets) so that I can use CO2 to transfer to the kegs, and keep everything closed. Any ideas?

#6 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:10 PM

I am also thinking of a way to use these to pressurize my fermenters (buckets) so that I can use CO2 to transfer to the kegs, and keep everything closed. Any ideas?

I ferment in cornies

#7 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:49 PM

I'd rather not do that, as I would have to split it between three kegs. Now, if I could get a 15 gallon cornelius keg, that would be fantastic. I've thought about fermenting in Sankey kegs, but I would have to build a keg washer first to feel anywhere close to confident of the cleanliness of the insides, and that just seems like too much trouble right now. Any other ideas?

#8 SWAGMAN

SWAGMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationWACK AKA KANSAS CITY KANSAS

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:21 PM

If you have ACE Hardware try them. Ours here in Kansas has them. If you can't find any give me PM and I will check again and ship.God BlessDominus VobiscumSwagman :smilielol:

#9 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:00 PM

Thanks for the suggestion and the offer! I definitely have a lot of Ace Hardwares in the area, and will see if I can find what I am looking for at the nearest one.

#10 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9738 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:23 AM

Build the keg washer. I think one of our club members has a bead on some sankes. I ferment in sankes now and it is fantastic.

#11 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8266 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:05 AM

I ferment in sankes now and it is fantastic.

This!!

#12 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:17 AM

Build the keg washer. I think one of our club members has a bead on some sankes. I ferment in sankes now and it is fantastic.

The keg washer is awesome! It saves a lot of time and effort. Harbor frieght has some cheap pumps.

#13 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:08 AM

The thing with keg washer is that I want to be able to heat the water/pbw constantly like one of the members of our club. I wouldn't feel comfortable using a submersible pump for that, but I also don't want to have to spend the money for the food grade pump that can withstand the higher temperatures, as well as the heating element and temperature controller.cheflamont - how did those end caps turn out for you? Are you reinstalling the spear to transfer, or did you setup a racking cane attachment to the endcap itself?

#14 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9738 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:41 AM

Yea, that guy's heated keg washer is awesome for sure, but my kegs come out pretty friggin clean with my bucket, sump pump, oxyclean, and warm water from the tap. Unless you plan on taking the keg washer up to sanitizing temps and using it for that purpose, I am not sure it is worth the money to build from scratch. He had a majority of the parts for that washer already laying around. To build that thing from the ground up would be no small project or cost.The caps for the sankes project is currently on hold with my move. I have been talking with the machinist guy about them, but so far it has been mostly talk. I am getting him and my neighbor interested in brewing, so soon there may be more incentive for the project than just my chatter. I am currently using the orange carboy hoods to do transfers and they word acceptably.

#15 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:58 AM

Hmmmmmmmmm, I may need to look more into that then. I have a harbor freight submersible pump that I use for recirculating ice water during chilling, and I don't think it had threaded fittings. If I were to make a keg washer, I think I would need threaded fittings to make the spray attachment. I also like what some have done with it, and added the QD's so that they can clean the dip tubes. This may be my next project, but it may have to wait till next month. I've already bought a lot of stuff for this month.

#16 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25401 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:57 AM

I just use the chrome-plated ones from NAPA autoparts. I remembered that a while back someone raised concerns about the chrome and beer, but I asked my metallurgist/brewing guru said its no problem.

#17 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:47 AM

I found some of the chrome plated brass ones at advanced auto parts. They look pretty good overall, and with the size of the grommets that I have in my buckets, they seem to fit amazingly well. I haven't installed any yet, but all I will really need to do is drill another hole, install another grommet, and then put in the schrader valve, tighten it up, and it should seal well. I also bought a tire chuck for the schrader valves, put on 1/4 flared fitting, so now I can attach it to my gas lines and once I have things set up, I should be able to do CO2 transfers fairly easily.I think this could work with a sankey fermenter as well using the tri-clamp end caps with two holes drilled, one to install the schrader valve, and the other for the airlock/blow-off tube which would also be used with the racking cane when ready to transfer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users