#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:54 AM

I brewed my 10th batch of beer ever this past weekend. I started brewing last spring and since starting with a true brew kit, I have graduated to an all grain system with keggles. I've brewed 23 gallons to date this year, and was hoping to make it to 100 gallons, but I think I will probably fall short of 50 at this rate. Thanks all to those of you that helped me here answering my noobish questions and panic attacks. I'm sure there will be more to come. :cheers: Cheers! :smilielol: :shock: :shock: Rich

#2 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:09 AM

Congrats! I've only been doing it since January of 2007, but I never kept track. I'd bet I brew about 40 to 50 gallons a year though.

#3 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:31 AM

Another congrats! I started in March 1998, and last week brewed batch #377! Keep at it!

Edited by denny, 12 July 2010 - 08:31 AM.

#4 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:08 AM

7,600+ posts for 10 gallons of beer! You're on fire! :cheers: Congrats on your milestone. To be brewing AG (with some keggles to boot) by your 10th batch is a testament to how bad you've got the bug (a good thing). :smilielol:

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:29 AM

Another congrats! I started in March 1998, and last week brewed batch #377! Keep at it!

2.6 batches per month - impressive. you've been busy!

#6 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:33 AM

I brewed my 10th batch of beer ever this past weekend.

Nice! Time to start planning # 11

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:14 AM

Nice! Time to start planning # 11

I can't decide.I really want to brew a hefeweizen or something like that, maybe open ferment like the brewing TV guys did, but I also want to try my own recipe and see how it goes. It basically starts as MLPA and has a little more hops, and a little less caramel.8# Pale Ale0.75# Wheat1# Crystal 4020-21 IBU Williamette Pellets 60 min (I dont recall the correct weight)1 oz Cascade 15 minWYeast 1056 (so far my go to yeast)It will be a pale ale. I have a name for it if it turns out any good.Cheers,Rich

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:20 AM

I can't decide.I really want to brew a hefeweizen or something like that, maybe open ferment like the brewing TV guys did, but I also want to try my own recipe and see how it goes.

I've heard for most homebrewers open fermentation doesn't mean much. We already have such low pressure in the fermenter that opening it up doesn't really change anything.

#9 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:25 AM

I've heard for most homebrewers open fermentation doesn't mean much. We already have such low pressure in the fermenter that opening it up doesn't really change anything.

These guys tried it and got some interesting results.That episode is what made me want to try it. If I could use a basin or tub that made for a shallower fermentation it might help.Cheers,Rich

#10 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:34 AM

These guys tried it and got some interesting results.That episode is what made me want to try it. If I could use a basin or tub that made for a shallower fermentation it might help.Cheers,Rich

I can't watch the video - did they do a side by side comparison?

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64186 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:49 AM

Yeah, geez Denny, that's a serious pace right there. You've probably dumped more beer than a lot of us have brewed (not saying you make a lot of bad beer, we all have to dump one once in a while).

#12 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64186 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:50 AM

Airlock = open fermentation.

#13 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:53 AM

That's what I thought - can you back it up though?

#14 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:53 AM

I think they mean open to the air, no cover, no airlock...

#15 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:56 AM

That's what I thought - can you back it up though?

What's to back up? It's an open system, closed would mean the pressure is building continuously in the bucket with no escape. You could think of your keg as a closed system. But the video seems to show an open bucket, nothin else...

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54467 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:01 PM

Cheers Rich. I assume that there will be A LOT of beer coming out of your brewery in the next few years. You're a regular on here and you're always plugged into whatever is going on which is all good.I'm in Denny's neighborhood for years and batches (but not knowledge!)... brewing since September 1999 and over 360 batches to date. It's the bestest hobby evah! :cheers:

#17 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:05 PM

I think they mean open to the air, no cover, no airlock...

yeup.

What's to back up? It's an open system, closed would mean the pressure is building continuously in the bucket with no escape. You could think of your keg as a closed system. But the video seems to show an open bucket, nothin else...

I can't see how there would be any difference other than at some point the headspace on the bucket with the airlock would be mostly CO2 b/c of the airlock. on the completely open bucket I would think there would be a constant mix of air right on the beer.

#18 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:14 PM

I can't see how there would be any difference other than at some point the headspace on the bucket with the airlock would be mostly CO2 b/c of the airlock. on the completely open bucket I would think there would be a constant mix of air right on the beer.

Yeah I'm not sure either about the why. I'm about 13 mins into the 16 min video. He says the basement smells like a banana cream pie with lots of clove, more than he's experienced in the past. Looks interesting.And lest I forget, congrats Rich!Now time to start heating sparge water for my brown ale.

#19 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:22 PM

yeup.I can't see how there would be any difference other than at some point the headspace on the bucket with the airlock would be mostly CO2 b/c of the airlock. on the completely open bucket I would think there would be a constant mix of air right on the beer.

There is a layer of CO2 over the beer that protects it. From what I gather an open fermentation usually involves a shallower, higher surface area fermentation vessel, and very top oriented yeast strain. My guess is that the depth of the fermentor is more important in how the yeast ferments the wort than whether it is truly open or closed. Probably has something to do with what flavors they produce at certain rates of fermentation and availability of sugars due to the surface area and depth.I know Sierra Nevada does some open fermentation, Basser posted a video, and he might shed a little light on the subject.It is something I really want to try. I would do one open in a shallow tub, and another closed in a one of my carboys.Cheers,Rich

#20 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:25 PM

There is a layer of CO2 over the beer that protects it. From what I gather an open fermentation usually involves a shallower, higher surface area fermentation vessel, and very top oriented yeast strain. My guess is that the depth of the fermentor is more important in how the yeast ferments the wort than whether it is truly open or closed. Probably has something to do with what flavors they produce at certain rates of fermentation and availability of sugars due to the surface area and depth.I know Sierra Nevada does some open fermentation, Basser posted a video, and he might shed a little light on the subject.It is something I really want to try. I would do one open in a shallow tub, and another closed in a one of my carboys.Cheers,Rich

that seems like it might make a difference under homebrew conditions but I'm still slightly skeptical.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users