34 replies to this topic

#21 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:26 AM

Get some 5/16" ID vinyl hose (usually sold for CO2 lines). This should fit tightly over the racking cane.For the keg end you can buy a 5/16" hose barb to 1/4" female flare fitting (just like the usual 1/4" flare fitting, just bigger). Screw onto beer-out QD and you're good to go. <_<

I don't think my QD barb can be unscrewed.It looks like this:Posted Image

#22 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:31 AM

It seems the QDs on my keg jumper can be unscrewed. Is there a way I could unscrew one QD on my jumper and screw in another barb that I could then hook an appropriate sized tubing to?is this what I could use?My link

#23 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:47 AM

It seems the QDs on my keg jumper can be unscrewed. Is there a way I could unscrew one QD on my jumper and screw in another barb that I could then hook an appropriate sized tubing to?is this what I could use?My link

Can that flare piece be bought at a hardware store? It would really bug me to pay shipping on something so small.

#24 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:53 AM

Can that flare piece be bought at a hardware store? It would really bug me to pay shipping on something so small.

so it seems like I have a spare piece of tubing that I've used for racking in the past that is 5/16 so all I need is this flare part. Anyone know a place that will ship USPS to get it to me?

#25 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:23 PM

You would need one of these: https://www.northern...-mfl-liq.htmlOr get a hose barb coupler that can take 3/8" on one end and 1/4" on the other. Maybe HD would have one.

#26 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:59 AM

You would need one of these: https://www.northern...-4-mfl-liq.htmlOr get a hose barb coupler that can take 3/8" on one end and 1/4" on the other. Maybe HD would have one.

I have a keg jumper with that kind of QDs on it. So don't I just need this barb such that I can unscrew one of the QDs and screw this barb in with some appropriately sized tubing attached to it?

#27 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64176 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:39 AM

You can usually get barbxbarb adapters at the hardware store. i.e. a straight barb piece that goes from 1/4" to 5/16" or 3/8".

#28 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:42 AM

You can usually get barbxbarb adapters at the hardware store. i.e. a straight barb piece that goes from 1/4" to 5/16" or 3/8".

good point - but will they have them in SS? It seems like most of the stuff at the hardware store is brass.

#29 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64176 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:56 AM

There's nothing wrong with brass. I don't know about you, but all my beer faucets are brass. From a long term corrosion aspect, stainless is better, but brass won't hurt anything. You may be able to find some plastic ones if that makes you feel better.

#30 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:25 AM

There's nothing wrong with brass. I don't know about you, but all my beer faucets are brass. From a long term corrosion aspect, stainless is better, but brass won't hurt anything. You may be able to find some plastic ones if that makes you feel better.

Ah - I wasn't sure if brass was okay on finished product. I do have some brass that touches my wort but nothing on the finished beer yet.

#31 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:29 AM

I have a keg jumper with that kind of QDs on it. So don't I just need this barb such that I can unscrew one of the QDs and screw this barb in with some appropriately sized tubing attached to it?

Get the whole thing. The coupler has a larger whole in it.The hardware store might have nylon too.

#32 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:35 PM

Seems like this is an uncommon size for lowes. I haven't checked HD yet but they generally have the same stuff. Maybe an Ace or someplace like that would have more uncommon sizes?

#33 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64176 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:16 PM

For fittings:Ace>HD>Lowes

#34 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:14 AM

For fittings:Ace>HD>Lowes

I've never actually checked an ace for fittings before so I did not know this. Thanks :frank:

#35 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64176 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:25 PM

Ace's are a little more hit or miss than the big box stores, but if you have a good one near you, they'll easily beat Lowes/HD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users