17 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

So they are back again and starting to attack my hop plants. Can I use any pesticides to combat them that will be safe when I actually use the hops? I already have the little spiky beginnings of hops so I'm fearing that it might be too late...

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:34 AM

Has anyone used this stuff? Permethrin

#3 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48052 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:41 AM

I never wanted to use anything that could get into the hops. I feel like veggies are more forgiving because you can wash them or even peel them, but pesticides that get into the cone structure of a hop are there to stay. All I've ever used is insecticidal soap.

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:43 AM

I never wanted to use anything that could get into the hops. I feel like veggies are more forgiving because you can wash them or even peel them, but pesticides that get into the cone structure of a hop are there to stay. All I've ever used is insecticidal soap.

yeah - after some more research permethrin seems risky. do you spray the soap on the plant itself?

#5 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48052 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:39 AM

Just leaves.I remember reading something about people using nicotine as well, but I can't remember much.

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:56 AM

Just leaves.I remember reading something about people using nicotine as well, but I can't remember much.

woah - how long does that take? I've got a lot of leaves to protect and some of them are buried into the middle of a pretty thick mess of bines.

#7 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16537 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:39 PM

Hops w/a kick start!

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:13 PM

Hops w/a kick start!

reminding you of tomacco?Posted Image

#9 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:41 PM

My Homebrewer's garden book says to just catch them in the morning, when there slow.I find lately i catch one and the other gets away.And mostly in mid-day is when i catch them.Caught two earlier(seperate plants) one female (im confident).Im not confident with the soap thing,could easily put the wrong stuff on my hops.

#10 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:46 PM

Garlic concentrate might work too, and it's non-toxic. I use it on my fruit trees for other pests, but I've never tried it for Japanese Beetles.

#11 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:50 PM

Garlic concentrate might work too, and it's non-toxic. I use it on my fruit trees for other pests, but I've never tried it for Japanese Beetles.

might that get garlic flavors into my hops?

#12 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16537 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:57 PM

might that get garlic flavors into my hops?

You can brew a nasty Gubna clone.

#13 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:58 PM

The japanese beetles have left my yard, at least for now. They were here for 2-3 weeks though, and I would go japanese beetle hunting. I got an empty gallon jug, cut off the top at an angle to keep the handle, filled it with some water and soap, and then when I saw a japanese beetle, I would knock it into the jug.I killed dozens of beetles this way, and I left the jugs outside for the beetles to rot. It is supposed to be a warning smell for them to go away - 'if you come here, you will die, so go away'. They left soon after I did that. I don't know if what I did was truly effective, or if they just moved on, but I am going to do that every year.I also plan on getting the milky spore powder to innoculate my yard to hopefully kill the larvae over the next few years. It is supposed to kill them before they become adults. It is best if you get your neighbors to do it too though, and can last upwards of 15-20 years.

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:07 PM

The japanese beetles have left my yard, at least for now. They were here for 2-3 weeks though, and I would go japanese beetle hunting. I got an empty gallon jug, cut off the top at an angle to keep the handle, filled it with some water and soap, and then when I saw a japanese beetle, I would knock it into the jug.I killed dozens of beetles this way, and I left the jugs outside for the beetles to rot. It is supposed to be a warning smell for them to go away - 'if you come here, you will die, so go away'. They left soon after I did that. I don't know if what I did was truly effective, or if they just moved on, but I am going to do that every year.I also plan on getting the milky spore powder to innoculate my yard to hopefully kill the larvae over the next few years. It is supposed to kill them before they become adults. It is best if you get your neighbors to do it too though, and can last upwards of 15-20 years.

The issue with your yard and the beetles on your hops are pretty much 2 separate problems. They'll come in from far away to eat your delicious hops so even if you eradicate the larva in your lawn they can still get you. You should research the milky spore thing though. I've found some reputable sources that at least up here it really doesn't work.Maybe I'll just leave some buckets with dish detergent and water near the plants.

#15 Augie1991

Augie1991

8 Lives

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23570 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

My method had been similar. Kill them when you see them, otherwise; they'll spread the news that your hops are the bomb. I did use some cutter spray on a couple of trees that they took a particular shining to......it worked pretty good and they are not bothering those trees anymore.....whatever you do don't use those japanese bettle traps, they attract every beetle in the neighborhood to your yard.https://www.cutterin...ts/BackyardRTS/

#16 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:19 PM

I forgot to mention that I have around a dozen grape vines, and those were the preferred food of the japanese beetles. I saw very few on the hops. My grapes ended up fine, and the hops showed very little beetle damage.So what I am trying to say, is you may want to plant a sacrificial plant that is more attractive to the beetles so that they will leave your hops alone. I know they also like roses, but since mine are small, they didn't seem that interested in them, they were all over the grape vines though, which also made them easier to catch, as they weren't too high.

#17 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:54 PM

'if you come here, you will die, so go away'.

Ironic. That same sign is on Scott's mailbox.Good chemical free method though.

#18 klickcue

klickcue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:29 AM

Do a Google search for spinosad .You may find it interesting from where it came from.Here are a couple of links to get you started.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinosad https://hortipm.tamu...Japbeetles.html If you have bees, spray when the bees are in the hive so that the leaves of the plant can dry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users