#1 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25387 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:11 PM

In light of my beer magazines telling em to brew a Black IPA, I have decided to brew a Black IPA. Here's my question- do these dehuskified carafa II type malts effect residual alkilinity the same way other dark grains do? The point of them seems to be to add color without "________" which variously means roastiness, or sometimes astringency. If its less astringent, is it also less acidic? Just curious.

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:51 PM

We had John Palmer cornered at our annual KCBM comp a few years back. I had him review our water stats. Said I might need a little chalk for dark beers. While I respect him I think my darks turn out fine. That said, I'd use the nomograph and go with it if you're worried. All my darks turn out fine without altering the water. I would treat it the same as any roasted barley/malt. I think the SRM gets you close enough for the dark grains.Have a black oatmeal ale fermenting now, no water chemistry changes.......

#3 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:29 AM

I need to look at the magazines to see their recipies...seems like the W'10 is the standard right now...I have to say a little more roasted grain takes the flavor to a new level...I think widmer just uses dehusked...I had an IBA at a small place called Quarry Brewing in Butte, MT...this guy used all black malt and I thought it was better than W'10

#4 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48048 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:48 AM

I've always treated them as if they affect chemistry based on their color. No special mods because they are debittered, dehusked, whatever.

#5 Malzig

Malzig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationBOS

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:01 AM

The Carafa Special has relatively little effect on mash pH. A mostly Pilsner Malt mash brought from ~4 to ~ 30 SRM with Carafa I Special would only be expected to drop about 0.05 pH. While using CaraMunich III to raise the SRM to 30 would be expected to drop the pH by about 0.2.You should read this on Kai Troester's site and check out his Water Calculator at the end of the first section, to see the different effects of Roasted and Crystal Malts on mash pH. If you want to get deeper into how this was derived, you can read the pdf of his research paper on the subject.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users