#1 OhioMurb

OhioMurb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:29 PM

Inspired by hearing someone the BN talk about Bell's Rye Stout, so I want to give it a shot but I've never brewed with rye.I've got the stout recipe down - just going to add rye - but what percentage? 10%? 20%? I don't want over power this thing, but I also don't want it to be just my normal house stout.Anyone have an experience with a rye stout?

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:37 PM

I like to brew with rye. Assuming you have a lot of roasted/black malt in there I'd start with 20 - 25% here and maybe push 30%. Just so you know, there is roasted and carmel rye out there.

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:43 PM

When I brewed one last year I used 25% Rye Malt or 3.5lbs in in 13.75lb recipe. It was a great beer. Hope that helps, I love brewing with Rye as well. Cheers!!

#4 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:53 PM

I make an American Rye that is 50% rye, it's still not overpowering. I think in a rye stout you could easily go that high, but I would recommend about 25-30% the first time. I don't think flaked rye would work the same way though...

#5 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:55 PM

I make an American Rye that is 50% rye, it's still not overpowering. I think in a rye stout you could easily go that high, but I would recommend about 25-30% the first time. I don't think flaked rye would work the same way though...

I forget to add that all the time. I ditched flaked a couple years ago - nice, but just not the same.

#6 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:42 AM

I like rye to a point. For me it can become overwhelming and bad at higher levels. I would agree at starting at the 25% level and then evaluating. I would also think you would want the rest of your grain to consider the rye too and not put too much roast or black patent in there to overwhelm it.

#7 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25388 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:07 PM

Put me down for 25% to 33% rye, all species- flaked, malt, chocolate, etc.

#8 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26195 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

Put me down for 25% to 33% rye, all species- flaked, malt, chocolate, etc.

This, i don't tend to go over 1/3 of the grist. Also pay attention to the hops you use. In most cases I find that many American c-type hops clash with rye. Go spicy over citrus.

#9 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:52 PM

I've got the stout recipe down - just going to add rye - but what percentage? 10%? 20%? I don't want over power this thing, but I also don't want it to be just my normal house stout.

I have used around 30% rye , Never made a rye stout yet.I doubt it would over-power the roasted grains.Like some of the hops suggestions im seeing on here .

#10 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:01 PM

........... In most cases I find that many American c-type hops clash with rye. .........

Just different tastes I guess but I like the C-Hops in my RyePAs.

#11 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26195 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:12 PM

Just different tastes I guess but I like the C-Hops in my RyePAs.

Probably, I can take light handed late boil/dry hop with c-type hops but for bittering and aroma they don't work for me.Eta if you can get it try yazoo sly rye

Edited by EWW, 07 July 2010 - 07:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users