• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:34 AM

Here's my recipe for the best rootbeer I've ever had. I always have a keg on tap in the fridge and a backup in the basement, it goes really fast with the neighborhood kids in the summer.1 bottle Zatarains rootbeer extract/mix.2 pounds brown sugar (I think that's like like 4 packed cups) --light or dark, your choice, I tend to like the dark.48 packets of Splenda (2 cups sugar equivalent sweetening) --I tried and don't like the 'for baking' stuff in the big bags, it's cut with other stuff to bulk up the volume. I just accumulate and yes tear open and dump out 48 packets.Mix it up in a 5gal cornie with enough water to top it off.I force carb it at basement temps (~60F) at 30psi for a few days, shaking regularly to make sure everything gets dissolved.I like the splenda to cut the calories down (30% of the sweetening is from the splenda) and it also help keep the flavor crisp without being syrupy from the sweetening being all sugar. I've backed into this recipe from both directions on the Splenda/sugar ratio, the ratio and quantity of sweetening above is my favorite.Enjoy,~Dougk

#2 brewhead

brewhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:53 AM

do you find that once you commit a system to root beer that you have to use it continually for root beer?

#3 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:00 AM

do you find that once you commit a system to root beer that you have to use it continually for root beer?

I have not tried to revert, I have one faucet of my six, and two kegs that see nothing else. A good cleaning and bev line replacement should take care of it if I ever want adult beer on that faucet.Of my kegs two or three came with rootbeer residue in them, and one even had used fryer grease in it :) (purchased from Altbev BTW) after a good cleaning and the obligatory O-ring replacements there wasn't a trace left.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users