#1 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:49 AM

I'm going to be upgrading to a new 15 gallon brew kettle shortly and am interested in going the false bottom route. My question is can one of these be used in the boil kettle? For the purpose of keeping the trub and hop material above the drain...

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:12 PM

I bought a 12" perforated one from Midwest for about 1/2 that price. It works pretty well once the leaf hops have set up a filter bed. Never tried it with pellets and never will - won't work. I don't know how well it will fit a keg either since I use a kettle.

#3 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:09 PM

I'm going to be upgrading to a new 15 gallon brew kettle shortly and am interested in going the false bottom route. My question is can one of these be used in the boil kettle? For the purpose of keeping the trub and hop material above the drain...

Why not just use a bazooka screen? It would be at least half the cost.Also, it seems like you might have issues boiling. Can't explain it, but it seems like it would be too much of a barrier between the bottom and the bulk of your wort in the BK. Does that make sens?Don't over-engineer the issue.

#4 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:16 PM

Merged...thanks Dan for the heads up. Chadm, next time please use the report button to let us know that the threads need to be merged/moved/whatever. Thanks.

#5 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19258 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:29 PM

Why not just use a bazooka screen? It would be at least half the cost.Also, it seems like you might have issues boiling. Can't explain it, but it seems like it would be too much of a barrier between the bottom and the bulk of your wort in the BK. Does that make sens?Don't over-engineer the issue.

Deerslyr knows of what he speaks.Normally, a boiling fluid churns and distributes the heat. A false bottom blocks some of the convection currents and steam, and keeps the area above the FB from being at a roiling boil.

#6 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:42 PM

I originally used a Bazooka in my brew kettle but after getting a ration of shit from DJ, I switched over to a false bottom. I used a stainless one that I got from NB, I think. The tube for it didn't fit so I made my own with a section of copper tubing. About 75% of the time it worked great but the other 25% it failed miserably. If hops get underneath it, you're doomed. The valve will plug and you'll end up siphoning, dumping or worse. So I went back to a Bazooka which has worked great every time except last weekend at strangebrewer's when it couldn't handle 3.5 ounces of Magnum. :P

#7 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:01 PM

I originally used a Bazooka in my brew kettle but after getting a ration of shit from DJ, I switched over to a false bottom. I used a stainless one that I got from NB, I think. The tube for it didn't fit so I made my own with a section of copper tubing. About 75% of the time it worked great but the other 25% it failed miserably. If hops get underneath it, you're doomed. The valve will plug and you'll end up siphoning, dumping or worse. So I went back to a Bazooka which has worked great every time except last weekend at strangebrewer's when it couldn't handle 3.5 ounces of Magnum. :P

You know what? I think if you are using electric and the element is above the false bottom, then it would be fine. I'm assuming it is a propane fired BK.My bazooka is offset and every few sessions I toss it into some oxyclean for a good deep cleaning.

Edited by Deerslyr, 06 July 2010 - 05:02 PM.

#8 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:46 PM

I originally used a Bazooka in my brew kettle but after getting a ration of shit from DJ, I switched over to a false bottom. ...........

I did? Probably....Mine is secured with a union. If, and only if, I secure it properly nothing can get under that sucker. I have a couple other attachments for draining when using pellets. Kettle draining still remains one of the things that are most likely to started a swearing session here. Eight gallons of wort still in the kettle and a plugged drain valve do not bring out the best in me. Posted Image ETA - yeah, electric element above the FB

Edited by dj in kc, 06 July 2010 - 06:47 PM.

#9 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16544 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:54 AM

My Kettle is setup for pellet whirlpool and also with a FB. I will never ever stick my FB when using all pellets as long as I have a single whole cone addition with it. My plate chiller and CFC have never gotten clogged with that scenario either. For all pellets I whirlpool and pull wort of the side of the trub cone. You can setup your dip tube with a simple brass union as Dj mentions and can have your equipment switched out to match your hops in no time at all.

#10 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

Doesn't sound like I have a "perfect" option. The FB isn't designed for kettles and the Bazooka's clog. Right now, I'm siphoning cooled wort into the fermenter and leaving 99% of the trub and hop material behind. Might leave well enough alone!Has anyone heard anything about Blichmann's HopBlocker?

#11 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:39 AM

Posted Image

#12 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:47 AM

Posted Image

That's quite the contraption! I applaud you...nice!So I assume you're placing all the hops in the hop sack and then just lifting them out after the boil? Are replacing the hop sack every brew? Color me interested...

#13 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:49 PM

That's quite the contraption! I applaud you...nice!So I assume you're placing all the hops in the hop sack and then just lifting them out after the boil? Are replacing the hop sack every brew? Color me interested...

This is not my design --pulled picture from a web site.I just use a regular hop bag

#14 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:12 PM

This is not my design --pulled picture from a web site.I just use a regular hop bag

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/lil-sparky-tha-man-40738/

#15 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:56 PM

My version-Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Stout_fan, 07 July 2010 - 02:57 PM.

#16 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16544 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:00 PM

My versions go both ways. There is now a union. Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:42 PM

Mine looks similar to Blktre's but since it's still my original kettle the add-on mods weren't as nice. Plus an Al kettle looks like hell after the oxidation layer gets stained and I didn't want anyone barfing - so no pics. I may need to just get a new kettle....... Plus I have a removable diverter plate and pickup next to the kettle wall that I use with pellets since I have cold break in the kettle. Blktre doesn't since he cools inline rather than an IC.I was thinking today since Monday's brew was pellets. I use the diverter plate for that - can't get a nice whirlpool cone (IC and coldbreak) but I do let it rest for settling. Once the draining hits the settled trub/break, which is just below the diverter plate level, I need to stop draining if I want a halfway clean transfer. I dumped close to 2 gallons of wort full of trub/break Monday...... I think next brew session I'll try wedging a couple SS scrubbies between each end of the plate and the kettle wall. That should let it drain normally until the level gets below the plate and them maybe let me get another gallon before the scrubbies clog.

#18 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16544 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:11 PM

I thought about adding a diverter plate. But now you've got me thinking.

#19 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:13 PM

I thought about adding a diverter plate. But now you've got me thinking.

Thought you had one. From what I have heard/read if it's only hot break and pellet hop debris you should get a fairly stable cone after whirlpooling - which I would guess happens at your place. Add the cold break and you have eggdrop soup that won't settle. I don't want to deal with cleaning/sanitation of a plate chiller. Guess you know that since you have my old plate chiller and I have your old Love contollerPosted Image If your routine is working why mess with it? The diverter plate alone works much better than anything I've tried before with pellets. And it's removable. Leaks a little crud at first since it's just sitting there but it does the job. Just trying to increase brewhouse efficiency - hate dumping that extra wort since I have my cheap side.Posted Image

#20 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16544 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:30 PM

Nope, dont have one. But I also dont want one to be permanent either. So since I'm going to make some major changes in my brewery, might as well figure out a removable SS diverter plate too. For now I just whirlpool the pellets and pull off the side as shown above. I dont have any cold break issues since I inline chill. Im also thinking about getting that last clean Qt. out too. What Ive been doing is just to make sure no pellets get by when the trub cone fails towards the very end is to setup my grant/hopback after the Kettle. This has a FB in it and catches any remaining pellet trub before hitting the plate chiller. I like the plate chiller btw. Nice and compact. Works the same as my CFC, just smaller.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users