35 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:15 AM

1. If you've had a bottled beer you like but never on draft it's crap unless you have it on draft (and possibly at the brewery where it's made).2. If you've had an imported beer you like but never in the country of origin it's crap unless you've had it in the country of origin b/c it's sooooooooo much better there.3. If I've had a beer that no one else has had or will have a hard time finding it's the best and you guys are all missing out (until you have it of course in which case I'll claim that something has changed about the beer in question before you were able to sample it and the beer is in the crap category now).Carry on :) https://www.brews-br...tyle_emoticons/default/headbang.gif

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:54 AM

How about going to a party of any sort that you are invited to and once show up see that the only beer to drink is BMC. After finding that out you ask for something else to drink. (I know my wife would call me a snob if I did that)

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:03 AM

How about going to a party of any sort that you are invited to and once show up see that the only beer to drink is BMC. After finding that out you ask for something else to drink. (I know my wife would call me a snob if I did that)

I'm mostly talking about 1-upping within the community - I don't think this would make you a snob though. If you don't like BMC type stuff why drink it? Life is too short to drink beer you don't like.

#4 Recklessdeck

Recklessdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLawrence

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:45 AM

1)Whatever beer you have tried , I have also tried (and think its mediocre)2) Talk about how you think the craft beer craze is sooo overblown, and mention that you've been drinking quality beer since the 80s.3) If it doesn't have the words imperial, double, oak-aged, dry-hopped, etc. the beer is bland. If it does, than its just another one of these "extreme" beers that are sooo passé and overdone.

#5 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:46 AM

...starting a thread about being a beer snob..... ?:)

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:07 AM

...starting a thread about being a beer snob..... ?:)

Call me meta-snob. Seriously though - we should all poke a little fun at ourselves so we don't take this too seriously and look like real jerks to everyone else :cheers:

#7 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:16 AM

haha ok how about - refusing to drink beer from a bottle..... how are you supposed to get a good whiff of the hops right out of the bottle??? REALLY!

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54313 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:24 AM

Call me meta-snob. Seriously though - we should all poke a little fun at ourselves so we don't take this too seriously and look like real jerks to everyone else :)

I do think it's good to laugh at ourselves a little. Occasionally, I will be put on the spot and someone at a party will say, "hey, good question... I don't know WHAT that flavor is... ask Ken... he knows. Then I start talking about beer and brewing and 30 people are listening. I know at that moment that I sound like a complete geeko. But I usually try to even it all out by saying that beer is made with 4 ingredients and all of the ingredients have their distinct flavors, etc.Have we had a thread where people ask you all of the nutty questions? Like, "How much alcohol do hops add?" or "Lagers are always light in color, right?" or "darker beers are always higher in alcohol right?". :cheers:

#9 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:40 AM

When SNPA just isn't good enough. :)

#10 NomNomHopzinator

NomNomHopzinator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:42 AM

1. You laugh at the Miller Light commercial when they say that they hop their beer 3 times... :) +1 for refusing to drink out of the bottle.New one related to the bottle.....You drink beer out of a wine glass to get the full aromas

#11 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:54 AM

1. If a beer doesn't have an obscure French or Belgian name that most Americans haven't heard of, and few can pronounce correctly, then it's not truly a world-class beer. If an obscure beer of this category does become popularly known and appreciated in American circles, then it is overrated.

#12 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:05 AM

1. If a beer doesn't have an obscure French or Belgian name that most Americans haven't heard of, and few can pronounce correctly, then it's not truly a world-class beer. If an obscure beer of this category does become popularly known and appreciated in American circles, then it is overrated.

this/thread

#13 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:42 PM

I think my snobbiness hit a peak some time soon after I brewed a good beer or two but then declined as I was humbled by my lack of knowledge. :cheers:

#14 codemonkey

codemonkey

Ass. Comptroller of Ferthdays

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18916 posts
  • LocationMy suburban paradise

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:50 PM

1)Whatever beer you have tried , I have also tried (and think its mediocre)

1a) Whatever beer you have tried and didn't like, I have also tried and it's fantastic. However, it requires a sophisticated palate to appreciate so I can understand why you weren't prepared for something like that.

#15 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:53 PM

I think my snobbiness hit a peak some time soon after I brewed a good beer or two but then declined as I was humbled by my lack of knowledge. :cheers:

well there's a difference between a beer snob and a brewing snob :cheers:

#16 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:33 PM

1) When a buddy comes home excited with a rochefort 10 and offers to split it with me...then I say "eh Im bored of that one" and walk in with a Westvleteren 12 and don't offer to share! 2) Watching a friends face sink when I ruin there favorite "craft" brew by telling them it is either made by BMC (isn't Killians by coors?), or telling them its made in Canada, not ireland.

#17 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:18 PM

well there's a difference between a beer snob and a brewing snob :cheers:

I view brewing snob as a subset of beer snob <_< I'm not sure if this is a level of snobbiness but I now appreciate that Bud is probably a pretty good representation of the style and that it wouldn't be easy to make. I still don't like to drink it though :cheers:

#18 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:33 PM

I'm not sure if this is a level of snobbiness but I now appreciate that Bud is probably a pretty good representation of the style and that it wouldn't be easy to make. I still don't like to drink it though :cheers:

that's not snobbishness, that's truth :cheers:

#19 UGALawDawg

UGALawDawg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:15 AM

Taking that one step further; you turn your nose up at any Belgian or French sounding name. "Yeah, I used to be really into Belgians back before I knew anything about beer. Now I know that they are nothing more than overpriced, weak bodied, overly alcoholic swill that is marketed to yuppies who don't know any better. Of course, the best beers in the world are brewed right here in America, but no you haven't had any of them."

#20 chefmiller

chefmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:32 AM

The only good craft beers all come from Colorado (or enter other home state/country).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users