8 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:18 AM

I'm a little curious about this practice. I know people generally toast some of their base grains but I've also seen someone on here who toasted some flaked oats. What have you done and what did you think of it? What did it bring to the beer? How much did you toast? Temperature? Time? Any important info...

#2 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26171 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:57 AM

For oats I lay ithem on a cookie sheet in a 350* preheated oven and stir it every 10 min or so until it reaches the color I want which is typically when it takes on a light golden hue. Oats on there own have very little flavor, but when you toast them they give you a slight oatmeal cookie flavor in the beer. Kind of like using Vienna malt instead of plan 2 row (but not exactly)...gives you a bit more deapth of flavor.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:57 AM

For oats I lay ithem on a cookie sheet in a 350* preheated oven and stir it every 10 min or so until it reaches the color I want which is typically when it takes on a light golden hue. Oats on there own have very little flavor, but when you toast them they give you a slight oatmeal cookie flavor in the beer. Kind of like using Vienna malt instead of plan 2 row (but not exactly)...gives you a bit more deapth of flavor.

would it be good for an oatmeal stout or no?

#4 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:15 AM

Never done oats but a lot of times I'll take a pound or two of base malt and toast it somewhere around the amber/biscuit range to give a little bit of cracker flavor to the beer. There are a million time/temperature combinations. Here's one of them that I've found to work well. Ted gave it to me many years ago. It came from a recipe for an old-style British porter.

The brown and amber malts were home roasted to achieve the colors. M.O. malt is spread on a cookie sheet and put in the oven at 170ºF for 15-30 min to dry the malt, then raised to 275-300ºF for 25 min. That should give you an Amber type malt, check the grain after about 15 min. by taking a couple of kernels and cutting them in half, it should be just noticeably darker than malt, cut also, just pulled from the bag, not roasted. For brown, do the steps, then continue from there at 350ºF for another 15-25 min. The color of the grain inside for brown should be the color of a brown paper bag. Grains should be cooled for at least a few hrs prior to use, by leaving spread out and covering with a towel. This allows the grain to cool and degas. That's what some say, but it does remove excessive harshness by allowing it to lay out in this fashion.

Also feel free to experiment with your own toasting profile. There are so many ways to skin this cat that you can't count them all.

#5 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26171 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:33 PM

would it be good for an oatmeal stout or no?

Yes

#6 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26171 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:36 PM

Never done oats but a lot of times I'll take a pound or two of base malt and toast it somewhere around the amber/biscuit range to give a little bit of cracker flavor to the beer. There are a million time/temperature combinations. Here's one of them that I've found to work well. Ted gave it to me many years ago. It came from a recipe for an old-style British porter. Also feel free to experiment with your own toasting profile. There are so many ways to skin this cat that you can't count them all.

That's what I use with base malt ... That quote is based off the guidelines in old British beers and how to make them, in fact I may have wrote that at the old board or maybe not.

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:10 AM

That's what I use with base malt ... That quote is based off the guidelines in old British beers and how to make them, in fact I may have wrote that at the old board or maybe not.

What british styles would this be appropriate for? Mtn used it in a porter and I can def see that working. How about ESB?

#8 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26171 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:16 AM

What british styles would this be appropriate for? Mtn used it in a porter and I can def see that working. How about ESB?

That reply is in regards to amber and brown malts which historically were used in many British styles. I think the book is out of print now but many of the recipes that were developed by the Durden Park beer circle can be found Here if you want to see how they were used. All the recipes are for 1 Imperial gallon so adjustment will need to be made.

#9 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26171 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:05 AM

I have a few favorite recipes from the book that I entered into beertools a few years back to convert them from uk to us gallons. One that I highly recommend is Here.Eta- If you search the recipe section for historical you should find the rest

Edited by EWW, 04 July 2010 - 09:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users