#1 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:27 AM

due to a series of events that I don't entirely recollect i have accumulated a stock of US Hallertau. Like 2.5lbs of it. Now I have to figure out what to do with it. Anybody ever experimented with a beer that was heavy on the Hallertau? Someone stop me from making a Hallertau IPA and fermenting it on an english ale yeast :smilielol:

#2 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:33 AM

NO! Sam Adams does an Imperial Pils with only Hallertau M. I don't see why you couldn't do the same with Us Hallertau. It's a Lager though!

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:42 AM

due to a series of events that I don't entirely recollect i have accumulated a stock of US Hallertau. Like 2.5lbs of it. Now I have to figure out what to do with it. Anybody ever experimented with a beer that was heavy on the Hallertau? Someone stop me from making a Hallertau IPA and fermenting it on an english ale yeast :smilielol:

I think I'd use an american yeast. Would a pilsner use a lot of Hallertau?

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:48 AM

NO! Sam Adams does an Imperial Pils with only Hallertau M. I don't see why you couldn't do the same with Us Hallertau. It's a Lager though!

That sounds like it could be the ticket!

#5 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:48 AM

I was trying to avoid a lager because of the ramp up time for the yeast and then the lagering time. I was thinking of using this batch to build up a population of Wyeast 1099 for another beer I've had in mind.

#6 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:07 AM

I think I'd use an american yeast. Would a pilsner use a lot of Hallertau?

If you brew a German or Bohemian Pils you could get up to 40-45 if you stay within style. Of course if you did an imperial you could go as high as you like 70-80 IBU. Additionally Hallertau is not exactly a high alpha hop too so its going to take much more to get those IBU's too. My linkStrangebrewer,Its homebrewing man I say give it a go!! Go with your IPA and english yeast, would be a nice combination to hear back results from and I am sure you could dent your Hallertau supply. Cheers!!

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54275 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:15 AM

Ah, 1099 is such a great yeast. Bready, crackery, minerally. I agree... make an English beer with 1099 and a bunch of Hallertau. Last month I had a "British Blonde" of sorts with UK pale malt, Kent & Styrian Goldings and I was going to use 1028 on it but the 1028 did want to cooperate so I turned it into a lager with Fermentis S-23. We don't need no stinkin' style guidelines. :cheers: :smilielol:

#8 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:27 AM

How about an Imperial Blonde with the US Hallers? An Ale rather than a Lager.

#9 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:30 AM

Or if you can control temp, you can make a pseudo lager...just saying! :smilielol:

#10 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:50 AM

How'd you end up with 2.5? I thought they just sent an extra 1 lb. Go for the Hallertau IPA. It'll be unique at least. At ~4%AA, you better account for the hops drinking all your wort.Other decent options would be hefes, fruit hefes, or german lagers. You could make a cream ale or two, but I dont think anyone would want to drink that.

#11 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:22 AM

Ah, 1099 is such a great yeast. Bready, crackery, minerally. I agree... make an English beer with 1099 and a bunch of Hallertau. Last month I had a "British Blonde" of sorts with UK pale malt, Kent & Styrian Goldings and I was going to use 1028 on it but the 1028 did want to cooperate so I turned it into a lager with Fermentis S-23. We don't need no stinkin' style guidelines. :cheers: :smilielol:

I do love 1099. Of the english strains it's my favorite as it has some real character and if you want it to it'll ferment out a big beer.

How'd you end up with 2.5? I thought they just sent an extra 1 lb. Go for the Hallertau IPA. It'll be unique at least. At ~4%AA, you better account for the hops drinking all your wort.Other decent options would be hefes, fruit hefes, or german lagers. You could make a cream ale or two, but I dont think anyone would want to drink that.

I'd say I've collected 2.5lbs over time and that extra lb I got in the order just put me over the edge where I'm thinking I've got to do something with this stuff! I haven't brewed a hefe in a long long time so that's an idea though it's a style I'm not real big on anymore. I prefer to use fruit in my meads and lambics anymore. I've got a lighter lager-ish beer on tap right now so I'd like something to help keep things mixed up.An IPA made entirely with 4-5%AA hops. I'm going to have to make it an 8 gallon batch to get 5 gallons in the end! Ok you guys talked me into it. English H-IPA here I come. This could be interesting.

#12 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:12 AM

Maybe an Extra EXTRA Special Bitter, hopbursted with hallertau? :smilielol:

#13 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64148 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:12 AM

Do an IID...Imperial India Doppelbock.

#14 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:39 AM

Maybe an Extra EXTRA Special Bitter, hopbursted with hallertau? :smilielol:

You're actually not far off from what I've got in mind. Right now this is what I have in mind:Grain bill: It's an English IPA so I've go the idea of giving it a maltier backbone than I normally would an IPA. The 1099 will also bring this forward in addition to adding some bready-ness itself.8lbs Marris Otter5lbs German Munich1lb Crystal 60.5lbs German Wehat malt.5lbs Weyermann CaraFoamHops: I have a lot of English hops including Hallertau, EKG, and Fuggles. I've got some Willamette in there too. I do have over a pound of Magnum that I'm considering using as the bittering hop (I know I'm already cheating). BUT it would save on wort volume absorbed and it would free up the copious quantities of English hops for later additions. I'm kicking around blending 4oz of Hallertau, fuggle, and EKG and adding 2.5oz every 5 minutes for the last 25 minutes of the boil and then another slug at the 0 min marker. Then dry hop with Hallertau.So dump a pound of English hops in the last 25 minutes. I estimate loosing about a gallon of volume to hop absorption.

#15 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:13 AM

I was trying to avoid a lager because of the ramp up time for the yeast and then the lagering time. I was thinking of using this batch to build up a population of Wyeast 1099 for another beer I've had in mind.

Are you concerned about brewing a hop bomb and then reusing the yeast?

#16 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:23 AM

Are you concerned about brewing a hop bomb and then reusing the yeast?

Nope. I'm building the population to brew a DFH 90 min style beer. Hopbomb2

#17 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:41 AM

You're actually not far off from what I've got in mind. Right now this is what I have in mind:Grain bill: It's an English IPA so I've go the idea of giving it a maltier backbone than I normally would an IPA. The 1099 will also bring this forward in addition to adding some bready-ness itself.8lbs Marris Otter5lbs German Munich1lb Crystal 60.5lbs German Wehat malt.5lbs Weyermann CaraFoamHops: I have a lot of English hops including Hallertau, EKG, and Fuggles. I've got some Willamette in there too. I do have over a pound of Magnum that I'm considering using as the bittering hop (I know I'm already cheating). BUT it would save on wort volume absorbed and it would free up the copious quantities of English hops for later additions. I'm kicking around blending 4oz of Hallertau, fuggle, and EKG and adding 2.5oz every 5 minutes for the last 25 minutes of the boil and then another slug at the 0 min marker. Then dry hop with Hallertau.So dump a pound of English hops in the last 25 minutes. I estimate loosing about a gallon of volume to hop absorption.

I like it. I'm a big fan of noble hops, even in styles where they might not be appropriate. I'd drink that for sure.

#18 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48058 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:26 PM

I'm probably too late to the game, but my first thought was altbier.

#19 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:30 PM

I'm probably too late to the game, but my first thought was altbier.

Sticke would be nice too. A lot of hops can fit it that.

#20 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:40 PM

Sticke would be nice too. A lot of hops can fit it that.

This is a style I have not touched and could be interesting. I think I'll still have a lot of hops left despite my effort here so I'll keep this in mind. Thanks DJ!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users