#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:48 AM

Ok, my first beer, Ken's MLPA, came out hazy. I would like to know how do you get clearer beer. This is not a big worry for me, but it would be nice. I have read how an effective cold break can get you clearer beer, but I have not read anything that really describes the technique or what is happening.So, how do you make clear beer? Please describe the technique, psot pictures of cold break if possible.Thanks!Rich

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:59 AM

My process is to use Whirlfloc in the boil. 1/2 tab per 5 gallons for 5 minutes.

#3 UGALawDawg

UGALawDawg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:01 PM

Two words:Opaque glassware.

#4 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:02 PM

But what do it do? Microscopic mermen gnomes that filter the wort through their gills?

#5 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:06 PM

Ken and I were just chatting over email about using gelatin in beers to clarify. MtnBrewer is correct....Whirlfloc will do wonders for clarification. But gelatin mixed into the secondary with clarify it even more and remove a lot of that chill haze. Below is Ken's email to me asking about how you add gel to the beer. "I put some into a small bowl with cold water so the gel can "bloom" (whatever that means). The bowl has a fitted lid so I can shake it. I leave it there for 10-15 minutes, then put that into a small pot (sometimes add a little more water) and heat it. You will see that the granules dissolve and are no longer visible. That's where I assume it's been heated enough and I will take it off the heat and let it cool. I add it to the secondary first and then rack the beer on top so it mixes well. It works nicely on suspended matter and seems to cut way down on chill haze too. Good luck Amigo."Hopefully this helps you the next time around!Brew on!

#6 aquahijo

aquahijo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, NC

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:13 PM

Ok, my first beer, Ken's MLPA, came out hazy. I would like to know how do you get clearer beer. This is not a big worry for me, but it would be nice. I have read how an effective cold break can get you clearer beer, but I have not read anything that really describes the technique or what is happening.So, how do you make clear beer? Please describe the technique, psot pictures of cold break if possible.Thanks!Rich

+1I've been having the same issue. My extract kits include a Whirlfloc addition at 45 mins. Does this mean that I'm not cooling my wort fast enough?

#7 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32475 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:15 PM

I used to use gelatin but now I just let it clarify in the refrigerator. After about 3 days of cold the haze drops out and the beer is clear.I also quit using irish moss...

#8 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:17 PM

During your next brew, use some Whirlfloc or Irish Moss (Whirlfloc is better) in the last 15 min of the boil. Post fermentation you could use isinglass, gelatin, etc. If you do AG then a good recirculation through the mash could help a lot too.

#9 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:19 PM

+1I've been having the same issue. My extract kits include a Whirlfloc addition at 45 mins. Does this mean that I'm not cooling my wort fast enough?

What? 45 out of 60 minutes, right? 15 minutes remaining, correct?

#10 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:24 PM

Sounds like a plan, but does anyone know what exactly is happening when you add this stuff? Is it a chemical bond that pulls "chill haze" out of solution? I guess a better question is what is chill haze? From what I understand (reading how to brew) chill haze are proteins that stay dissolved at warmer temps. You have to cool from boiling to cold quickly to get the proteins to fall out of solution, which is the cold break. So when I cooled my beer I used an ice bath and stirred until it got to about 50 deg F. Should I have gone colder? Also will the cold break look like hot break, or will it settle out and fall to the bottom?

#11 aquahijo

aquahijo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, NC

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:37 PM

What? 45 out of 60 minutes, right? 15 minutes remaining, correct?

yeah 60 min boil. i'm going to hold off on highjacking rich's thread here unless they don't answer my question.

#12 Rick

Rick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:05 PM

but does anyone know what exactly is happening when you add this stuff?

Gelatin is composed of positively charged proteins that will attract the negatively charge proteins in the beer creating a large "clump" if you will. These "clumps" sink of of solution to the bottom of the vessel, clarifying your beer. There are other clarifiers out there that work in a similar fashion.More info on how this stuff works can be found here: https://www.bollweev...info/clarifiers

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:15 PM

Hijack away. I would also know when to do the addition.I will test the 3 day chill theory with my bottles in the fridge now. They are already going on 24 hours. I guess I should try one or two every 24 hours just to check to see if its working. :) Is there a special gelatin to buy, or if I ask for gelatin at the LHBS they will probably have the right stuff?-Rich

#14 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:19 PM

The most popular is unflavored Knox brand gelatin. It comes in a box of four pouches. I'm going to be trying it for the first time in the next couple of days. You can buy it at the grocery store.

#15 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29315 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:20 PM

Is there a special gelatin to buy, or if I ask for gelatin at the LHBS they will probably have the right stuff?

It would be more expensing fro mthe LHBSJust go to Publix and buy the unflavored Knox. come in a little orange box. Shoud be in the same section as jello. I think with 4 envelopes in each box. I use 1/2 envelope per 5 gallons.

#16 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:21 PM

how much do you use...i think I have some knox or kroger brand in the pantry and would like to give this a shot on one...i just dont want to end up with beer flavored jello...although...

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:22 PM

Go to my site, go to "General Brewing Information" and about 3/4 down the page is a "Clear Beer" section. You guys know that I'm a clear-beer-head so I put all of that info in that section. Basically... whirfloc with 10 mins left in the boil, rack from brewpot to primary so you leave the schputz behind, don't rack from primary until activity has stopped (good info regardless), a gel solution in secondary and some amount of cold storage before you serve the beer. Good luck.

#18 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:32 PM

Thanks Ken, Rick and others, and BTW MLPA tastes great! :) Rich

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:44 PM

Thanks Ken, Rick and others, and BTW MLPA tastes great! :) Rich

Glad to hear it Rich! Cheers to you. :cheers:

#20 aquahijo

aquahijo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, NC

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:45 PM

awesome...thanks.i've got a batch of JPA in the primary right now, i will try this when i rack to the secondary. i don't have a fridge to cold crash this in right now. guess i should be trying this stuff in steps anyways to see what works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users