#1 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:22 AM

Ive been batting around some ideas, specifically about a MT upgrade. I thinking about taking another 25g Mega pot like my current ones I use for a Kettle and HT and converting it to a MT. What I'm thinking is and maybe this is to complicated vs a bottom direct fire is to weld up a SS jacket around the outside of the Mega pot. This jacket doesn't need to be pressure rated necessarily. What Id use it for is to circulate hot water inside the jacket for temp control during the mash. (A brew buddies Steam Kettle does this). Id also weld in a SS thermowell and have one of my controllers on my Love box Stangbat built me years ago (I have a box with 2 Love controllers/SSR/switched outlets) that will control the flow of hot water around the jacket. But...Id also have a burner under it to heat strike water in the MT. Yea, I know, why dont I just use a direct fired circulating wort system to control mash temps? I plan on using a Manifold instead of a False Bottom. A direct fired tun using a FB in my mind will be more likely to scorch and burn the wort and grist since the grist is suspended from the bottom of the Tun, whereas a Manifold sits on the bottom and then so will the grist. Stupid, inefficient idea or what?

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:58 AM

I think it would work. Why not use a HERMS?

#3 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:00 AM

I think it would work. Why not use a HERMS?

Already have two different sizes. A 5g electric and a keggle propane. Looking for something new to try.

#4 Recklessdeck

Recklessdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLawrence

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:48 AM

Have you considered a steam infusion system? Would work well with a manifold, and I imagine a guy with your mechanical/engineering skills could rig one up without too much difficulty...

#5 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:56 AM

Have you considered a steam infusion system? Would work well with a manifold, and I imagine a guy with your mechanical/engineering skills could rig one up without too much difficulty...

Yes I have actually. If I can come up with a safe design Id do it in a heartbeat.

#6 Recklessdeck

Recklessdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLawrence

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:01 AM

Yes I have actually. If I can come up with a safe design Id do it in a heartbeat.

I really think a safe design is more than possible. I certainly don't claim to be an expert by any means, but we're talking about relatively low pressure here (max 15psi). A pressure vessel such as a sanke keg can withstand much higher pressure, and if you include plenty of redundant saftey systems, I think you would be fine. My one concern is how the keg's max pressure would be affected by the high temperature (212F), any scientist types out there care to comment on that issue?I would assume you've seen this thread. With a pressure canner reg and a pop safety valve like this set to 25psi, I really can't see how the vessel would overpressure to the point of rupturing. Of course, anyone with objections or concerns should feel free to criticize/debunk any of these thoughts.P.S. I hope I'm not hijacking your thread, I'm just intrigued with the idea of steam mashing...

#7 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:27 AM

Not a full jacket and not on the MT, but maybe it proves helpful.https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/full-monti-179621/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users