#1 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:16 AM

For the first couple years I was brewing, I didn't dry hop a lot. When I did, I used leaf in a hop sack weighted with a marble or something. I got great results but I've read and talked to some folks to dry-hop with pellets and got to thinking about their processes. One of the reasons I dry-hopped with leaf was because the process was easy and I got virtually no hop "schputz" (hi Ken!) when I would rack into the keg. So I'm curious as to other's dry-hop with pellets techniques? Again, mine with leaf has been toss'm in a weighted hop sack for 7-10 days and then keg. Easy! Inspire me to try dry-hopping with pellets!

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:23 AM

For the first couple years I was brewing, I didn't dry hop a lot. When I did, I used leaf in a hop sack weighted with a marble or something. I got great results but I've read and talked to some folks to dry-hop with pellets and got to thinking about their processes. One of the reasons I dry-hopped with leaf was because the process was easy and I got virtually no hop "schputz" (hi Ken!) when I would rack into the keg. So I'm curious as to other's dry-hop with pellets techniques? Again, mine with leaf has been toss'm in a weighted hop sack for 7-10 days and then keg. Easy! Inspire me to try dry-hopping with pellets!

I've dry hopped 2 different ways:1. threw the pellets into secondary (no bag) and then when I siphoned out I put a sanitized bag over the end of my racking cane to avoid chunks.2. threw the pellets into a bag and into the kegI'm pretty happy with both methods but the nice thing about having them right in the keg is that you always have a good amount of aroma all the way through the keg (I ended up leaving the bag in the keg until it was killed).

#3 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:39 AM

2. threw the pellets into a bag and into the kegI'm pretty happy with both methods but the nice thing about having them right in the keg is that you always have a good amount of aroma all the way through the keg (I ended up leaving the bag in the keg until it was killed).

I dry hopped this way with pellets on my most recent IPA. It did exactly as I'd hoped for providing dry hop aroma however I kept getting hop particulate matter in my pours. I don't mind a hazy IPA but the floaties detracted from the appearance IMO. I pulled the hop bag and a couple pours later I was clear.I love the in-the-keg method and have used it in the past with whole leaf without issues.

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:15 AM

I dry hopped this way with pellets on my most recent IPA. It did exactly as I'd hoped for providing dry hop aroma however I kept getting hop particulate matter in my pours. I don't mind a hazy IPA but the floaties detracted from the appearance IMO. I pulled the hop bag and a couple pours later I was clear.I love the in-the-keg method and have used it in the past with whole leaf without issues.

what kind of bag were you using? I was using a fairly fine nylon bag. I can see if you used a muslin bag that could cause some chunks to escape (possibly).

#5 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:41 AM

what kind of bag were you using? I was using a fairly fine nylon bag. I can see if you used a muslin bag that could cause some chunks to escape (possibly).

It was a fine nylon bag but maybe not fine enough.

#6 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:42 AM

I have been mostly dry hopping in the keg for a good long while too. I also toss them in a bag when I carb the keg and let em sittill the keg is kicked. I used paint strainer bags from Lowes Home Improvement. I have seen no ill effects from them either. Just another alternative to the muslin bag too.

#7 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10732 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:38 AM

I like to dry hop with pellets in the 2nd week of primary. I've read recently that dry hopping at fermentation temps helps extract more flavor and aroma. I then cold crash my carboy before transfer to keg and I've found the hop pellets settle nicely to the bottom and I have no problem leaving them behind. Pellet hop 'dust' can get through the small nylon hop bags so if you are 'keg hopping' I would recommend staying with leaf. I don't like to dry hop in the keg because I like to time my dry hopping and remove after about a week.

#8 Jimvy

Jimvy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:17 PM

I used to use plugs and leaf exclusively, and mostly in the keg. This was great (and easy), but last year I got some bad leaf and jacked up about 30g of beer. After a little research, I moved to pellets....but I'm using conicals, so it's a little easier. Specifically, I throw pellets on after about a week of ferment, let sit for about 5-7 days at 65F, then cold crash for a week, dumping yeast/hops daily to clear.Overall, I really like it. It's a little more babysitting and it takes a little more pellet to get the same result, but it's more consistent and there's less hop matter to worry about.

#9 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:21 PM

I try not to use pellets for dry-hopping but when I do, I toss them in nekkid (unless I'm hopping in the keg of course). Hops wanna be free!

#10 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:53 PM

I've had good luck in the keg with anklet nylons and pellets. You want to get the ones with no color. I give them a boil, dry and fill. Tie them off with unwaxed/unflavored dental floss - suspend them if you want or don't. The easiest way to suspend is just let the floss extend out from under the lid O-ring - sometimes that doesn't seal though. Someone else posted using a hose clamp (Dean Palmer?) to secure the floss to the underside of the PRV housing - that has worked at my place too. No doubt you lose a bit with them being confined, just add a little more. I've been lazy and need to start dry hopping again.

#11 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:59 PM

I usually use a hop bag in the secondary,in the keg i have been using a hop balls for pellets. Holds 1 oz,(max i think).No tying or floss used.I just drop it in before i rack to the keg.Around $4 at my LHBS.Posted Image

#12 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:56 AM

I dry hopped with pellets on the DRIPA I am drinking. I bought a fine mesh bag from austin homebrew (dry hopping bag) and put it in the primary. Seemed to work fine. The beer has a metric ton of aroma.Cheers,Rich

#13 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:40 PM

I never put pellets into a bag. For me it's just too much hassle. I just chuck them in; eventually they will sink to the bottom. For whole leaf I would use a bag just so it doesnt clog up the works!

#14 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26171 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:25 PM

I usually use a hop bag in the secondary,in the keg i have been using a hop balls for pellets. Holds 1 oz,(max i think).No tying or floss used.I just drop it in before i rack to the keg.Around $4 at my LHBS.Posted Image

in my experience the latch on those balls can rust a bit (i.e. These are not 100% SS) ... I went back to panty hose. I don't boil, just soak in starsan add hops and toss it in the keg.

#15 DR0NE

DR0NE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:47 AM

in my experience the latch on those balls can rust a bit (i.e. These are not 100% SS) ... I went back to panty hose. I don't boil, just soak in starsan add hops and toss it in the keg.

That happened to me and I started just putting floss through the spot where the latch was - you can tie it shut and then suspend it. So I was annoyed when I noticed it wasn't 100% stainless but it turned out to not really matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users