#1 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42082 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:45 AM

I've been trying to find some info on mash pads but when I google search the results I find are on a website that is shut down for the time being. Does anyone here use them? I see they are recomended for use in conjunction with false bottoms, how about with a manifold. Another question. Has anyone made thier own? Recomend material?

#2 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21341 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:57 AM

I've heard that floor scrubber pads are used sometimes. Seems like a one use thing to me as you will never get the grains out of it.

#3 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42082 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:59 AM

Seems like a one use thing to me as you will never get the grains out of it.

Hmmm, good point. I didnt think about that... :)

#4 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32475 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:05 AM

I used to use a floor scrubber pad ( the black one) and it worked pretty well. After the mash I would hose it off good but there would be some grains stuck in it. I found that if you let it dry very well immediately after using the stuck grain wouldn't get funky or anything...I recently went with the stainless mesh from a water heater hose.

#5 rockon

rockon

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2662 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:08 AM

I've heard of the floor scrubber thing, but I never really knew which pads these were. Are the black pads the ones everyone uses? Also, what is the advantage/disadvantage over SS mesh or a manifold?

#6 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19201 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:11 AM

LOL Mashpads.The thing I'd look at is food-grade.

#7 BuxomBrewster

BuxomBrewster

Snow White

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8765 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:14 AM

We bought our set-up from borny. It has a mash pad that I always thought looked like a floor scrubber pad. It's brown now, probably started white. The grain gets stuck in it, but if you let it dry, nothing funky happens.

#8 Jimvy

Jimvy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:00 AM

I've been using a mashpad in my tuns since I started brewing 6-7 years ago and love them. When folks come over for a brew day they always comment on how clear the wort is and how little I have to recirc. To answer the question, they are used over the top of a false bottom and true, they are never quite as pretty as when you first get them....but they do last for years if you clean them out and let them dry. They are just buffer pads cut to size and can be found cheaper than the brewshops if you're willing to do a little cutting.

#9 cj in j

cj in j

Advanced Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationMishima, Japan

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:05 AM

I've used mash pads for every brew over the past 4-5 years. I usually use one for about a year, then replace it. After the brew, I soak it in PBW or Oxiclean in my brewpot, then rinse well and dry. As long as you dry it before you put it away, you won't get mold or other nasties growing.Oh, and they work fantastic! The only times I had a problem were when I maxed out my mash tun with ~30 pounds of grain -- doing that sometimes ended up with a compacted mash pad, which really slowed down the flow.

#10 BarefootBrews

BarefootBrews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:17 AM

I do all-grain mashes in a 10 gallon Rubbermaid water cooler with a false bottom. When I first started all-grain I did not use a mash pad. Then I went to the mash pad and found that I needed to recirculate less to obtain clear runnings. Now I've dropped the mash pad once again. However I do place my false bottom inside a paint strainer, cut a small slit in the strainer for the out hose, and zip-tie the bag opening to keep grain particles out. This method has worked for me and I feel much better about not having a floor buffer pad inside my mash tun and use only grain husks for more natural filtration.

#11 Dave

Dave

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32475 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:42 AM

One other thing about floor scrubbers...The first few times I use a new one I get some black flecks from the pad settling in my mash tun. They always drop to the bottom and don't show up in my runnings. At first it kinda freaked me out but as long as they don't wind up in my runnings I'm not concerned...

#12 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42082 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:34 AM

Awesome, I'll ahve to try the black floor pads. Is there any way to prepare them so you dont get the black floaties?I'm actually shooting for clearer wort into my kettle and I was wondering about this and other options...

#13 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:01 AM

I've used a round 10 gal Igloo w/ false bottom along with 2-3 handfulls of rice hulls. Takes about 3-5 min to get clear wort & no stuck sparges. Rice hulls=sparge insurance.

#14 chauvan

chauvan

Comptroller of Jewish Scuba Divers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNavarre, FL

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:06 AM

I've used a round 10 gal Igloo w/ false bottom along with 2-3 handfulls of rice hulls. Takes about 3-5 min to get clear wort & no stuck sparges. Rice hulls=sparge insurance.

Were you in the club yet when I made Denny's Rye IPA at Chris's house? 3 lbs of hulls and it still stuck. I was so pissed. Everybody's having a good time and I'm trying to unstick a mash. Stupid rye.

#15 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:20 AM

Were you in the club yet when I made Denny's Rye IPA at Chris's house? 3 lbs of hulls and it still stuck. I was so pissed. Everybody's having a good time and I'm trying to unstick a mash. Stupid rye.

I joined in 2005, but think I missed the Brew at Chris's. We just did 23Gal of a Belgian Golden Strong last weekend at the Becker's. No rice hulls, long sparge, but did manage 83% efficency. (Don't mean to hijack thread)

#16 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:42 AM

I have a mash pad, the first time it worked great along with the false bottom. That was my first AG which was a RIS. The second time, I did a hefe with 6lbs of wheat malt and a lb of rice hulls and it stuck BAD. Beer turned out good though, just took forever to get the kettle filled to the right level. The last one I did was last weekend and I made CJ's JPA and didn't use the mash pad, just the false bottom. And it stuck too. Not as bad as the Hefe did, but still struggled with it a little. I think I've decided to try and use the mash pad again on my next one, maybe the community one that is being talked about.

#17 Dave

Dave

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32475 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:07 PM

Awesome, I'll ahve to try the black floor pads. Is there any way to prepare them so you dont get the black floaties?

They sink instead of float but like I said above, they never got into my runnings.I think the flecks are from the cut edges when you trim it to fit.... you could probably rub the cut edges vigorously with your hand ( :shock: ) to loosen the flecks before you use it for the first time...+1 to the rice hulls when using rye or wheat!

#18 onthekeg

onthekeg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSW MN

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:21 PM

I was told to only use the white ones?? I don't use one, but the color pigment in the pads is extra nasty to keep from losing its color to the floor with the wax and other chemicals. I think the white one is the most natural. Someone correct me?

#19 cj in j

cj in j

Advanced Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationMishima, Japan

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:48 PM

The mash pads I've always used were the white ones. I started getting them from HBA back when Ale was running the show, and that's what I've used ever since. No flecs, no nothing other than clear wort.

#20 brewhead

brewhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:59 PM

i've been using mash pads for years ever since i started brewing. i really like them. not a lot of vourlaf needed if any and inhibits stuck mashes. i use the white floor scrubbers cut down accordingly to the size of your mash tun. as far as cleaning is concerned, i've never had a problem. spray it out with a good spray nozzle on a hose, soak overnite on a solution of bleach and water, hang up to dry. ready for next use. about once a year i'll make a new one. you cna get a box of them cheap from graingers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users