15 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:03 AM

About how many oranges would you guys think it would take to get 1/2oz of sweet orange peel? Also, can I just use a microplane to take the outside layer of the orange peel off?

#2 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48072 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:13 AM

Is that 1/2 oz by volume, as in 1 Tbsp, or by weight? If you want 1/2oz of fresh peel, you'll need A LOT of oranges, like more than a dozen. I generally do a Tbsp or two for 5 gal of wit and get plenty of orange flavor.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:22 AM

Is that 1/2 oz by volume, as in 1 Tbsp, or by weight? If you want 1/2oz of fresh peel, you'll need A LOT of oranges, like more than a dozen. I generally do a Tbsp or two for 5 gal of wit and get plenty of orange flavor.

I want the orange to be subdued here since this is for my rare vos clone. how much would you recommend for 5 gallons? If volume is a better measurement to use I'm game to that. Do you use a microplane?

#4 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48072 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:29 AM

I want the orange to be subdued here since this is for my rare vos clone. how much would you recommend for 5 gallons? If volume is a better measurement to use I'm game to that. Do you use a microplane?

Yes, use a microplane.However, I've never had rare vos, so I can't make a recommendation as to amount.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:31 AM

Yes, use a microplane.However, I've never had rare vos, so I can't make a recommendation as to amount.

well - just going by the description of "subdued" for 5 gallons what would you say?

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:40 AM

well - just going by the description of "subdued" for 5 gallons what would you say?

maybe 1/2 TBS?

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:55 AM

also - about how many oranges does it take to get a tablespoon?

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:30 PM

anyone??? :P

#9 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48072 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:16 PM

also - about how many oranges does it take to get a tablespoon?

Depends on the size of the orange, of course, but generally I'd say about 4. That's orange only - no white - and sort of packing the peel into the measuring spoon.

#10 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:18 PM

Depends on the size of the orange, of course, but generally I'd say about 4. That's orange only - no white - and sort of packing the peel into the measuring spoon.

So if I'm going for "subdued" I should probably go with either 1 big orange or 2 smaller ones I'd say. Gracias, Jorge.

#11 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 25 June 2010 - 01:58 PM

There is a big difference between the zest of a store bought orange and true "sweet orange peel". Zesting will add a somewhat bitter orange character, whereas using dried sweet orange peel will be more along the lines of a Cointreau or Grand Marnier flavor. Sweet orange peel is usually sourced from smaller oranges like clementines and true "sweet oranges", not big navel oranges. But most importantly is the handling. Fresh orange, zested or not, is full of harsh astringent tannins and chlorophyll-like compounds. By drying the peels out slowly, they cure and these stronger flavors are subdued leaving behind a perceivably sweeter (less bitter) flavor.When a recipe calls for bitter orange or just orange peel without getting specific (which is most of the time), I'll always zest fresh or make a tincture/concentration. But when a recipe calls for "sweet orange peel", I go buy sweet orange peel.

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:06 PM

There is a big difference between the zest of a store bought orange and true "sweet orange peel". Zesting will add a somewhat bitter orange character, whereas using dried sweet orange peel will be more along the lines of a Cointreau or Grand Marnier flavor. Sweet orange peel is usually sourced from smaller oranges like clementines and true "sweet oranges", not big navel oranges. But most importantly is the handling. Fresh orange, zested or not, is full of harsh astringent tannins and chlorophyll-like compounds. By drying the peels out slowly, they cure and these stronger flavors are subdued leaving behind a perceivably sweeter (less bitter) flavor.When a recipe calls for bitter orange or just orange peel without getting specific (which is most of the time), I'll always zest fresh or make a tincture/concentration. But when a recipe calls for "sweet orange peel", I go buy sweet orange peel.

I've read if you avoid the white part you are okay. Perhaps that's incorrect.

#13 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:13 PM

I've read if you avoid the white part you are okay. Perhaps that's incorrect.

This is true for when a recipe calls for bitter orange or fresh orange zest. However, dried sweet orange peel intentionally includes the white pith. This is to aid in the curing process and to keep the peel from oxidizing.

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:55 PM

This is true for when a recipe calls for bitter orange or fresh orange zest. However, dried sweet orange peel intentionally includes the white pith. This is to aid in the curing process and to keep the peel from oxidizing.

so it's the old dried stuff or nothing? that's a bummer...

#15 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:23 AM

sweet! I found a place that has the real stuff! new semi-LHBS to the rescue! plus my new fav bottle shop is on the way :D

#16 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:47 AM

sweet! I found a place that has the real stuff! new semi-LHBS to the rescue! plus my new fav bottle shop is on the way :D

Good deal. I'm sure you'll be able to tell how unique real sweet orange peel is once it hits your boil. The smell is pretty wild and like I said, similar to Grand Marnier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users